RETIRED!

oldngray

nowhere special
You will need to find out both, but the actual last shift is the one that dictates the first check in the Western Conference. If you work one hour in any month you are disqualified for pension in that entire month.

Which is why most people retire at the end of a month.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
You will need to find out both, but the actual last shift is the one that dictates the first check in the Western Conference. If you work one hour in any month you are disqualified for pension in that entire month.
I tried a multi quote. thank you old n gray.

and mc4you2. both of your posts makes sense. thank you. im thinking about using most of my vaca before putting in the papers because we have more than enough savings til the 1st pension check. I understand the double dipping would be nice.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Also, if you can, try to avoid getting your vacay and holidays paid out in a lump after you've retired. Not only a giant tax hit, but you'll lose retirement contributions on those covered hours. Take them inline as regular vacay days and weeks. You'll likely free healthcare coverage for them too, but that also depends on your supplement and plan rules.

MC4YOU2

Ditto on sick days. Some guys like the idea of banking them up for a big payout at the end. That's fine, but you give up the pension contributions since they're not considered covered hours, as they are now in a single check. And then there's that nasty tax hit too.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I tried asking them if I could wait to be approved for a pension before giving my last day. 'no can do"

call me paranoid. lots of experience with murphys law.

Last edited:

MC4YOU2

They'll base your first monthly checks on your final workday. You'll then get an adjustment based on final contributions a few months later.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
They'll base your first monthly checks on your final workday. You'll then get an adjustment based on final contributions a few months later.
sorry for all the questions.

anyway I bet you feel like a big weight has been lifted. hope you collect that pension longer than you worked here. that would be justice.

oldngray

nowhere special

anyway I bet you feel like a big weight has been lifted. hope you collect that pension longer than you worked here. that would be justice.

You will get few good answers from Atlanta. Everyone is treated like they are the first person to ever retire. Much of the information you will get from the retirement department will be incorrect also. It would be nice if everything was simple and easy but that is not the UPS way.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Our Local has a guy whose job (among other things) it is to sit down with soon-to-be retirees in order to answer questions and guide them through the process. He encourages everyone to make an appointment a few months ahead of time in order to get estimates of their pension as well as a checklist of paperwork they will need to provide.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Our Local has a guy whose job (among other things) it is to sit down with soon-to-be retirees in order to answer questions and guide them through the process. He encourages everyone to make an appointment a few months ahead of time in order to get estimates of their pension as well as a checklist of paperwork they will need to provide.
UPS used to have seminars on retirement..... where they covered stuff like living trusts, investments and everything related to retirement........maybe it was just for mgmt. It was both husband & wife and travel to a city with a couple days in a hotel. We didn't attend, but friends did.

MC4YOU2

In my case, I got 99% if my answers from my business agent, and by calling the plan administrators. Up here, that's Northwest Administrators. Start early.