Retirement Diet

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
I have seen several comments about gaining weight in retirement , getting the gut , etc. Staying in shape was no problem while working for sure , but going from 100 mph to 0 overnight has its disadvantages .
I have been out 8 years now and have always laughed at diets and the latest fads about how to loose weight , etc.
I have always exercised , biked , walked , swam , but always stayed at the same weight , gaining a pound or two over the years.
My wife has always "watched " her weight . She weighs 8 pounds more than she did when we got married 38 years ago , she is at 130 lbs. Her secret.. vegetarian .
I have always ate whatever I wanted , when I wanted , till my belly was full .
I decided to try her hippie diet 2 months ago . I weighed 227 when I started this and morning I am at 207. 20 lbs in 2 months. I never did anything but change what I eat.
She says the loss will probably slow way down now to about a pound or so a month. My body is just now getting "flushed out".
I have to say , I feel good and have ate till I am full each time. I just haven't had any meat or dairy . Pretty wild .

BrownFlush

I'd much rather hit the gym in retirement and eat what I want in moderation. Then again, I enjoy exercise, so YMMV.
Bikes , walking , and gyms have not let me eat what I want even in moderation. Never gained a bunch of weight , but seen where it was going . Just sayin' , after retiring it was easy to eat anything and everything and not think about it , all the while putting on a pound here and there and before you know it , your overweight , high cholesterol , high bp , and don't won't to get out of the chair because you really don't feel like it . So, this hippie diet of fruits , nuts , beans , rice , and vegetables , really surprised me with the results.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
have lost weight since retiring and eating whatever I want.

pretty active and sleeping at night probably helps. I always worked graveyard on and off for over 30 years trucking.

The Driver

I drive.
Bikes , walking , and gyms have not let me eat what I want even in moderation. Never gained a bunch of weight , but seen where it was going . Just sayin' , after retiring it was easy to eat anything and everything and not think about it , all the while putting on a pound here and there and before you know it , your overweight , high cholesterol , high bp , and don't won't to get out of the chair because you really don't feel like it . So, this hippie diet of fruits , nuts , beans , rice , and vegetables , really surprised me with the results.

You might also be interested in www.nutritionfacts.org

Lots of nutrition science explained Mon-Wed-Fri in his videos. I think we don't take eating healthy seriously enough in this country.

Areyoukiddinme

best 2 weeks ever
I've been out 4 years now went up about 25 pounds after the first two years but last fall I started walking those 10000/15000 steps daily and lost about 30 pounds. So I guess it's about not eating everything in sight and getting off the couch

gear-guy

Eat more, drink more, sleep more,and work out more. Weight is still the same but in much better shape than I was while working. Not near as many aches and pains. Life is good!

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Fasting not only helps with weight, but has other health benefits. If you want to put in a bunch of effort to plan meals, time your carb loading and work outs, go ahead. But if you want to simply lose weight/keep it off while enjoying the other health benefits without any effort whatsoever, try fasting from time to time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Fasting not only helps with weight, but has other health benefits. If you want to put in a bunch of effort to plan meals, time your carb loading and work outs, go ahead. But if you want to simply lose weight/keep it off while enjoying the other health benefits without any effort whatsoever, try fasting from time to time.

Make sure you are taking nutritional supplements while fasting.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Make sure you are taking nutritional supplements while fasting.
Depends on how long the fast. Intermittent up to 3 days, it shouldn't be necessary to supplement, unless you already have a deficiency. Plus, you want to make sure the supplements won't elicit a metobolic response, or it will mess up the fast.

BrownFlush

Haven't done the fast thing yet but have been reading a lot about it .
Just got the results of my yearly physical . ALL my numbers dramatically changed . Bad cholesterol from 130 down to 80 .Total cholesterol from 240 down to 161 . Weight is staying steady at 200. Just walking and eating like a tree hugger .