Retirement side hustle and tax right off

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I'm really surprised that the Union could maintain any kind of control over you once you finished your career with what you're doing.
What would it matter to them if you decided to (say) have a 2nd career???? Especially the competitor part you say above....
To discourage early retirement if you retire at say 55 you would be more likely to find a job than if you retired at 65

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Whatever you do check first with your Local to see WHAT restrictions you have with working after retirement. Don't check Brown Cafe- check your Local. At a Union meeting one time a guy asked how the Union would find out about someone working where they weren't suppose to. The Union guy said " most of our information comes from Union Employees still working who carry a grudge against a fellow driver". When I retired there were only two kinds of jobs that we weren't required to check with the Union before taking. One was a school bus driver and the other was ANY Government job.
The teamsters check with Social Security. Admin. They catch a lot of people that way. There are partial limits until 65. after 65 none in the Western Conference.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I know a couple guys who retired and went straight into driving a school bus full time. It's nice to have that option but I have no intention of working atm.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I play guitar in a bar band about 3 or 4 nights a month. It pays about $150 a night in cash. I wont get rich from it but it pays enough to make it worth while. I volunteer a couple of three days a week with an animal rescue and that is just fun .

rod

Retired 22 years
I know a couple guys who retired and went straight into driving a school bus full time. It's nice to have that option but I have no intention of working atm.
Driving a school bus would be the LAST job I would want as a side gig.----- unless they got rid of that "can't hit a kid" thing.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I'm really surprised that the Union could maintain any kind of control over you once you finished your career with what you're doing.
What would it matter to them if you decided to (say) have a 2nd career???? Especially the competitor part you say above....
I never heard of any retiree signing any agreement giving the union say in what you do? Once you retire you are on your own. Sounds like bullsheetrock.

badpal

For you folks thinking about working in retirement, one thing u don't want to do is sign up for social security too early. After a certain amount of income they claw back some. Finding pure cash gigs are the best deal.

upschuck

I believe I remember back when ups took over the CS, they took away the no work requirement.

I'm with the people who say that when they retire, that there will be no more going to work. Might as well keep earning those pension credits.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
I don't need to work and I'm not bored (yet). Driving strangers around in my car doesn't sound like something I'd be interested in, if I needed a little extra cash I'd try to find something I could do online for a few hours a day.
You will do battle with the bored demon.
All kinds of adjustments coming. Enjoy. You ain't workin'.

DamjR31msTMtO.gif

nWo

Why not just stay at UPS and bid the next 22.3 position that pops up. That 59 cents a mile isn't going to be that much after you factor in gas and maintenance.