Retirement side hustle and tax right off

PT Car Washer

I never heard of any retiree signing any agreement giving the union say in what you do? Once you retire you are on your own. Sounds like bullsheetrock.
The Union did restrict what kind of jobs a retiree could work. The idea being not to take a younger Union members job who could be paying into your pension. That was back before Reagan when most jobs were Union.

quad decade guy

Why not just stay at UPS and bid the next 22.3 position that pops up. That 59 cents a mile isn't going to be that much after you factor in gas and maintenance.
Stay in feeders and keep getting to the top. $120k....6 weeks vacation. Long 1 stop ta's.....gravy.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I have never spoken to a feeder driver that wish they had extended their career past their retirement date. Have met many that regretted staying on longer than they had to.

Shiftless

I have never spoken to a feeder driver that wish they had extended their career past their retirement date. Have met many that regretted staying on longer than they had to.
Same here! It seemed to me that for most of them life got in the way. With lack of any legitimate planning the biggest.

Ya Gotta Love Choices!

Over70irregs

I play guitar in a bar band about 3 or 4 nights a month. It pays about $150 a night in cash. I wont get rich from it but it pays enough to make it worth while. I volunteer a couple of three days a week with an animal rescue and that is just fun .
Gibson or strat?

oldngray

nowhere special
I have never been bored. Actually I dont know how I ever found time to work. I dont think I have ever been bored in my life.
Crazy people will tell you that you will be bored after you retire. In reality you finally have the time to do things you didn't have time for before.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I get to do all the stuff I always wanted to do, and be home with my dog. I have enough money, I have time to experiment with doing projects I never wanted to start, because I didnt know when I could get back to it. If I want to have the grandkids I dont have to use a vacation week. If want to go walk by the creek for an hour, then stay for 3, no one cares. I have not seen a downside yet. I enjoy being home..some nights I stay up late, sometimes I am asleep by 9. But I rarely sleep past 5am. Ive been working since I was 17, so its a whole new world to me. Sometimes I dont know what day it is, and I dont give a flip.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
No amount of money would get me to go back to work. Living off my pension and the wife's SS and still putting money in the bank. Get my first SS check in about a week and will just invest it or blow it on the kids.
Not a worry in the world and that's just how it should be.

Off the leash

No amount of money would get me to go back to work. Living off my pension and the wife's SS and still putting money in the bank. Get my first SS check in about a week and will just invest it or blow it on the kids.
Not a worry in the world and that's just how it should be.
Depends on the work. But I don’t totally disagree. Gotta wait at least 1 1/2 years for SS. That plus pension is like 55K. Plus wife’s SS and 401k. Might work part time just so I can tell them to go friend<k themselves once in while for the fun of it.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I get to do all the stuff I always wanted to do, and be home with my dog. I have enough money, I have time to experiment with doing projects I never wanted to start, because I didnt know when I could get back to it. If I want to have the grandkids I dont have to use a vacation week. If want to go walk by the creek for an hour, then stay for 3, no one cares. I have not seen a downside yet. I enjoy being home..some nights I stay up late, sometimes I am asleep by 9. But I rarely sleep past 5am. Ive been working since I was 17, so its a whole new world to me. Sometimes I dont know what day it is, and I dont give a flip.
ha. I could have written this same thing word for word.
Happy that you are doing okay.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
ha. I could have written this same thing word for word.
Happy that you are doing okay.
Your stories go back and forth between you're retired in some threads and in other threads you describe what goes on in "your Hub" as if you're employed....
Everyone thinks you're full of :bsbullf:. I haven't piled on, but I see what they are talking about....

oldngray

nowhere special
Your stories go back and forth between you're retired in some threads and in other threads you describe what goes on in "your Hub" as if you're employed....
Everyone thinks you're full of :bsbullf:. I haven't piled on, but I see what they are talking about....
Don't forget the time on a stripper pole

Off the leash

Good bless you man, I hope you have a long happy retirement! Sounds like you deserve it. Now if we could only do something about the early rising….same here, lucky to get past 4:30 am no matter when I hit the sack.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
okay. do what you want. I still have a lot of friends at the hub that i see.

ever thought of that .......jerk?