Retroactive checks

SweatPit

i won't bite
Before you receive your retro check, go exempt or claim 9. Otherwise they are going to tax the smile* out of it
Its going to be taxed the same as any other check. Going exempt will just cause you to owe what is owed at the end of the year. There is no way around it. Unless you need that large sum right away due to money problems.

Blazian81

Its going to be taxed the same as any other check. Going exempt will just cause you to owe what is owed at the end of the year. There is no way around it. Unless you need that large sum right away due to money problems.
Not if you own a small business and write that off on your taxes

Whitelightning1534

According to both attorneys I’ve spoken to that money is required to be payed out to me ‍♂️

You shouldn't have have quit the only way I can think of that would force the company yo have to pay you back pay is if you were terminated after the contract was ratified your not going to beat UPS and it's corporate lawyers

JL 0513

For the record we are on week 4 of the 6-8 they said.

So yeah we are getting close.

giphy.gif

LarryBird

I don't know if these people who are no longer employees, whether they quit or were fired, and who are ALL asking about the back pay will receive it or not. But they should.

In my view, we as a union, decided to continue working past the Aug 1, 2018 expiration of our old contract in good faith, while negotiations of our new contract continued, with the understanding (negotiated I assume? and would hope if teamsters counsel isn't inept) that the terms of the new contract's pay rates would be retroactively applied from the old contract's expiration date(8/1/18) once ratification of the new one took place. These were part of the terms we as teamsters laid out as a condition of avoiding work stoppage and UPS agreed to.

These union teamster employees who separated from the company between 8/2/2018 - 4/30/2019 were part of this bargained agreement with UPS to keep working, and therefore should receive any difference in pay rate from what they were paid after the old contract expired. We agreed to work under the same terms, but that contract expired 8/1/18, and was no longer our contract anymore as of 8/2/18 forward - we were working without a contract and using the terms of the expired contract as a placeholder agreement in anticipation of the union and the company coming to terms on our current agreement. So therefore these separated employees should receive their back pay despite not being employed when the new contract was officially ratified on 5/1/19 in my opinion, and I hope for the sake of my union brothers and sisters who left UPS I'm right. They deserve it just the same as any of us who are still here.

If you want to get even more into it, the national has been agreed to for quite some time now, and one could make the argument that if some of the supplementals hadn't been holding everything up they/we would/could have had this money a while ago and/or they may even have still been in the employ of UPS at that time of the new national master agreement.

I'm not sure why it comes off that some of you are rooting for these people not to get the money. You'd swear some of you are paying them out of your own pocket and are almost taking pleasure that they may not receive it. If they don't, it's a joke, and the teamsters are a clown show.

Last edited:

22.34life

Look it's our money and I get people want it but I can sympathize with a p/t who has a $2.50/hour back pay coming and only gets 20 hours or less a week,i get that.these top rate guys however I don't get,friend/t top rate drivers,22.3,feeder guys for gods sake constantly complaining about .70 cents and a back pay check that's equal to one payroll check.bottom line I'll get it when I get it.

Ifixbrokenthings

Nor/mal, I identify as default settings
Okay so this is not to add any sort of fuel to the fire. Just wanted to pass along what I heard. Today the new regional level guy came to visit my building with my facilities engineer. Seems like a half decent guy and a straight shooter. As we were walking around the building, I asked him if he has heard about the checks coming out soon. He immediately texted a finance manager and he texted right back "probably end of june" Just wanted to pass along what I heard so don't get your hopes up until then. If anyone has heard differently, feel free to chime in.