Road test expectations (do we have to downshift?, or can coast to a stop in neutral?)

AstroBoy

So I've been driving a stick for about a month now but I drive with my own habits that I just learned. Can someone please share what they expect and tell me the ups proper road test way to drive a stick.

I assume we cant shift gears while turning? how do they want us to come to a complete stop? I usually shift into neutral and coast to a stop. Will I be expected to downshift into each gear?

Man Of Brown

No shifting on turns and dont downshift. I usually put it into neutral and come to a stop. You can put it in gear while you're looking left right left.

upschuck

Coasting was about the only thing that my road tester told me not to do, if I remember properly. That was a long time ago, though

Pooter

Don't coast to a stop. Just pop into neautral right before complete stop.

No shifting in intersections/corners.

stop a couple feet behind the white line so that you can shift into second before going into a intersection.

AstroBoy

Thanks guys. So it doesn't hurt the truck at all to brake all the way with out downshifting? (Of course I know the clutch has to be in before I stop completely) I already passed the road test but am going to school monday. The guy I road test with seemed like he wanted me to have the clutch in as I hit the brakes everytime.

And the the truck I drove was a five speed. Are they all five speed?

rod

Retired 22 years
Now once you pass and get into the Union you can dynamite the brakes at the stop sign to check to see if the on car sup has his seatbelt fastened correctly---also pop the clutch just as he is jumping into the truck at a delivery stop. They love that.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Thanks guys. So it doesn't hurt the truck at all to brake all the way with out downshifting? (Of course I know the clutch has to be in before I stop completely) I already passed the road test but am going to school monday. The guy I road test with seemed like he wanted me to have the clutch in as I hit the brakes everytime.

And the the truck I drove was a five speed. Are they all five speed?
Brakes are cheaper than transmissions.

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
Leave it in "D" until you get to your next stop, then shift to "P". :happy-very:

Haven't driven a manual transmission in almost 10 years. :likeit:

Oh yeah, I don't drive when it snows either.:hapydancsmil:

oldngray

nowhere special
3404688114_342597d2cb_z.jpg

gman042

Been around the block a few times
It is always considered safer to keep it in gear vs coasting in neutral.

As an exception I would like to add that on slick roads the truck will stop better if in neutral. If you brake while in gear the truck is more apt to slide.

Sent using BrownCafe App