Road test expectations (do we have to downshift?, or can coast to a stop in neutral?)

Pooter

So just brake in whatever gear im in with the clutch pressed in until I come to a stop? And then shift into neutral and hold the clutch and brake down until a green light?

Right before you come to a stop (before stalling) press clutch, neutral, release clutch and continue braking. No need to hold clutch at a red light when in neutral.

Don't ride that poor clutch :(

UPSjedi41

Pooter above is right on. Some sups will have different things they like but with the truck in gear just slowly press the brake in until you are almost stopped. When you hear the engine start to cough (almost stall) press clutch in and come to complete stop. My driving instructor was crazy about not using the clutch and keeping your hand of the shifter when not needed.

Off topic: I need to learn stick for an upcoming road test. Where should I go? Didn't have the "luxury" of learning on a stick and no one I know has a manual car.

upschuck

Tester here asks how long they have drove a stick, and those who only have a short time gets a deduction already, and have to be better than average to pass.

oldngray

nowhere special
You can't realistically learn how to drive a stick well enough if you don't start learning until just before your test. I never heard of any sup asking how long someone has driven a stick, and even if asked people could lie. How well you can demonstrate your ability when driving is what counts.

J

jibbs

Off topic: I need to learn stick for an upcoming road test. Where should I go? Didn't have the "luxury" of learning on a stick and no one I know has a manual car.

You can either ask a manager you're cool with to ride around your center/hub with you every now and then until you get comfortable with it, or find a driving school that offers stick shift training.

The first option's free. The second one can get ridiculously expensive.

From what I understand, cars with manual transmissions are rare as hell to find at rental places in the states. I can personally vouch for that in the DC/MD/VA region.

oldngray

nowhere special
A driving school would be a waste of money. Do your best to get someone to let you drive a package car around. It will handle much differently than some nice car a driving school tries to train you on, and will be free to learn if you can swing it.