roll away, never shown / told hand brake tightening

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
He caught me there. This is a real picture of the Lac-Mégantic derailment caused by a Canadian rail contractor who couldn’t be bothered to set an adequate amount of handbrake force (NTSB recommended 25, I used to crank every single one), he left 80 loaded crude oil tankers sitting with only 5 brakes spun.

Guy gets back to the hotel, gets a phone call, was in complete denial for hours until he saw the blaze out his window that his train rolled away and derailed going over 60 MPH, killing almost 50 and decimating an entire town.

C22ED10D-DF3B-479C-973D-D950376DE4C6.jpeg

He caught me there. This is a real picture of the Lac-Mégantic derailment caused by a Canadian rail contractor who couldn’t be bothered to set an adequate amount of handbrake force (NTSB recommended 25, I used to crank every single one), he left 80 loaded crude oil tankers sitting with only 5 brakes spun.

Guy gets back to the hotel, gets a phone call, was in complete denial for hours until he saw the blaze out his window that his train rolled away and derailed going over 60 MPH, killing almost 50 and decimating an entire town.

View attachment 302283

Probably his boss's fault for not showing him exactly what to do and when. Adequate supervisory babysitting would've clearly prevented this from occurring. Frankly, I don't know why logistics companies don't have supervisors riding in every moving vehicle to ensure proper training and comprehension for all employees.

MisplacedRailWorker

Probably his boss's fault for not showing him exactly what to do and when. Adequate supervisory babysitting would've clearly prevented this from occurring. Frankly, I don't know why logistics companies don't have supervisors riding in every moving vehicle to ensure proper training and comprehension for all employees.
It was actually a fly-by-night contractor they used to handle the train over the border. Inexperienced one man show with a single crewmember working as both an engineer and conductor simultaneously. This is very common in the industry, where the class 1 freights will subcontract out high-risk and last mile switching jobs.

But even on class one operations, I really can’t picture any member of management doing anything related to trains at 3 AM on a Sunday in the rain.

MisplacedRailWorker

Also, you have to be at least 280 pounds to be in management at CSX. Supervisors Must be grossly overweight just to be considered for the job

OP I’ll teach you how to crank these babies, just keep spinning that wheel until your ears bleed and your coworkers are aggravated

396677C9-DDD0-42C6-94AD-83FBE4694E7B.jpeg

Do that for three years and I promise UPS won’t remember your name; you’ll reapply and turn that handle on all the pc’s next time you do a pre-trip

Last edited:

11.19igrad

greed. laziness. carelessness. thats why.
use videos from 1985.
SOmETHINg.
or require a CDL.
simple

Box Ox

greed. laziness. carelessness. thats why.
use videos from 1985.
SOmETHINg.
or require a CDL.
simple

Most new drivers don't need a CDL or a 4K quality instructional video featuring their favorite YouTuber to figure out the hand brake. Maybe the Company could start a sort of driver special ed class for those who would normally fall through the cracks with that.

MisplacedRailWorker

@11.19igrad your username includes "igrad", I'm assuming because you went to Integrad (Or DTS, whatever they call it in your neck of the woods). In Integrad, which I've seen just from the YouTube videos includes a hell of a lot of hand-holding, you would have been introduced to the 340 Methods. Here are two excerpts from said literature:

Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 2.06.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 2.08.39 PM.png

Now what major malfunction, if any, do you claim?

MisplacedRailWorker

And guys if you keep bullying @11.19igrad he might get his feelings hurt. So stop bullying him (Amtrak if you're reading this I love you and management is awesome you guys see how I prevent harassment please don't fire me)

11.19igrad

im gonna end with this: most of u guys didn't get flown to atlanta, put up in very nice hotel and fed 3 nice meals a day and sat in a class room for 7.5 hrs a day. All Im saying is with all the expense and time they had, they couldnt take 2 hours to let us go practice all methods on actual deliveries and took an hour to go thru a rollaway prevention course? looking back it was all fluff and thats not how to put self reliant figure it out guys on the streets. I just wanted to learn my job well and avoid any accidents like this. There is still plenty you cant train but these are the essentials that need to be demonstrated in real life.

Status
Not open for further replies.