roll away, never shown / told hand brake tightening

Status
Not open for further replies.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

i really cant imagine not putting in park, i mean i dont want to roll myself over and i couldnt get out of the truck and get the package and walk to the house and turn around if it wasnt in park. it must have slipped. but the brake was loose back at the hub. no one ever told me about testing the brake. once in some class at integrad isnt

happy to do so if i was told this. never $#@$%#@ told this!!!!

. this is the most important safety practice. should be drilled everyday. why is the brake even adjustable at all????

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

what happened to this is a mans game? this is their job. to make us recite stuff, quiz us, test us, etc to make sure we know everything and do everything. why are they sups if they dont do this? would they rather deal with a fatality or expensive property damage??

You are right-----this is a man's game and part of being a man is OWNING UP WHEN YOU :censored2: UP!!

Nah
Seriously though, I think half of our cover drivers loosen the hand brakes to the point they don’t work and I’m the only one who actually tightens them up (and uses them) to prevent a roll away.

There's only one in our whole fleet that I've loosened, and I stopped doing that when I realized it wasn't making the brake any easier to pull.

I'm pretty sure they will be able to produce all kinds of paperwork from your training detailing how you were trained on a proper pre-trip, testing the handbrake, turning the wheels toward the curb when parked on a hill, etc.

But I doubt they'll be able to produce anything showing he was taught how to adjust the brake. That isn't covered at Integrad. I didn't learn that until I found one so loose it wouldn't stay engaged, then the mechanic showed me.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
I had a stop on a slight slope, as far as I know, I did my normal park and hand brake routine. I turn around after delivering, this #$%*%^$# truck is rolling back towards the right, into a yard crushing a mailbox. Its the worst nightmare dream-like experience I can't even explain. I just got reinstated after someone backed into my truck while I was out doing a delivery, now this.

What I can't fathom is how we are not drilled about checking the tightness of our hand brakes every day. It should be in our diad and there should be a daily routine check by mechanics that have signatures. I've never been told anything about tightening or loosening the handbrake. We are behind these trucks countless times doing deliveries, how are we not reminded to check this every day like we are told everything else, use horns, feet on pavement, etc.

I could have been killed, someone else could have been, this could have been absolutely devastating. I have some questions for a lawyer. How can the DOT not require management to regularly quiz us on handbrake checks? When we got back to the center, my sup tested the brake and it rolled in drive with the brake up. He showed me how to tighten it. Ive never been shown this. Ive never heard anyone talk about this ever. :sad::sad::sad:
Wow....just wow! It’s is apart of our training, it’s part of your pre-trip. It’s shocking how quickly you dismiss yourself from responsibility, take some personal accountability with your job.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
A car with an automatic transmission will rollaway when you shut it off if you did not shift it into Park. This is what sounds like happened to me. A loose parking brake will not hold the vehicle in place. I don't know if they can use telematics or some other system that will tell if the vehicle was in Park at the moment it started rolling. Those transmissions do have a computer built into them so I expect they do. I learned this the hard way the first day I got my first automatic package car. I was lucky enough to notice it was starting to roll and I was quick enough to stop it before it rolled backwards into a couple of expensive cars.

There's only one in our whole fleet that I've loosened, and I stopped doing that when I realized it wasn't making the brake any easier to pull.

But I doubt they'll be able to produce anything showing he was taught how to adjust the brake. That isn't covered at Integrad. I didn't learn that until I found one so loose it wouldn't stay engaged, then the mechanic showed me.
But how many other people do not know how to do that?

iruhnman630

You didn't mention the apparent mechanical failure that would have had to occur for a roll away. I assume it's an automatic and the thing broke out of park? Or did you not actually fully engage park? The handbrake in merely a backup for this failure as well as to protect the gearbox from wear.
I've had one start to roll after not fully engaging park.

Got back into the hand brake habit real quick that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.