roll away, never shown / told hand brake tightening

Status
Not open for further replies.

21Savage

I've had one start to roll after not fully engaging park.

Got back into the hand brake habit real quick that day.

Man I forgot to put in park or handbrake on a downward slope the other day and I almost always do both. I was rushing on a 300+ stop route. I have no idea how the truck didnt roll.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The problem is that newer drivers are so used to driving automatics they don't think of (or use) the handbrake.
If the sucker rolls away in park and the brake on, loose or not, that's mechanical failure.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
There's only one in our whole fleet that I've loosened, and I stopped doing that when I realized it wasn't making the brake any easier to pull.

But I doubt they'll be able to produce anything showing he was taught how to adjust the brake. That isn't covered at Integrad. I didn't learn that until I found one so loose it wouldn't stay engaged, then the mechanic showed me.
But how many other people do not know how to do that?

The automatic pretrip from Integrad involves placing the car in gear with the handbrake engaged to see if the car moves forward by itself. there is however nothing said about how to tighten the brake or testing it once again on sloped surfaces.

The pretrip is just one more thing to follow methods to a T, at least for the first few years, ain't getting paid enough to do otherwise.

I even mentioned this during my probation and a bit to the BA afterwords that roll-away accidents are not covered well at Integrad. It should be drilled a lot more.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Proper use of the handbrake should be covered during your orientation and review during your annual S&V ride or, in the case of the OP, the safety ride when you come back from an accident.

The automatic pretrip from Integrad involves placing the car in gear with the handbrake engaged to see if the car moves forward by itself. there is however nothing said about how to tighten the brake or testing it once again on sloped surfaces.

The pretrip is just one more thing to follow methods to a T, at least for the first few years, ain't getting paid enough to do otherwise.

I even mentioned this during my probation and a bit to the BA afterwords that roll-away accidents are not covered well at Integrad. It should be drilled a lot more.
Just keep your stops per hour up that's all it matters

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Just keep your stops per hour up that's all it matters
If I did all the things I've seen as a driver helper they would have DQ me 7-8 times.
Tree branches taken out, doors left open, cars left idling. One of the kids was all like "the mechanic told me the park gear in the automatics holds it in place, I only use the handbrake for particularly steep hill" OK.

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
OP I think you learned your lesson. Now you're either going to be extremely lucky tomorrow, or unlucky. I'm betting the latter but I'm a terrible gambler so you may keep your job.

If you do get fired have a good cover story for your next job interview; like when I got fired. Maybe join the military if they're hiring. Marines generally have a handbrakes-off attitude. I'm not sure I was fired from there too

If I did all the things I've seen as a driver helper they would have DQ me 7-8 times.
Huge tree branches taken out, doors left open, cars left idling. One of the kids was all like "the mechanic told me the park gear in the automatics holds it in place, I only use the handbrake for particularly steep hill" OK.
Well did the right way and you have nothing to worry about

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

OP I think you learned your lesson. Now you're either going to be extremely lucky tomorrow, or unlucky. I'm betting the latter but I'm a terrible gambler so you may keep your job.

If you do get fired have a good cover story for your next job interview; like when I got fired. Maybe join the military if they're hiring. Marines generally have a handbrakes-off attitude. I'm not sure I was fired from there too

His meeting is not until Tuesday at 0845. TTKU.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Only in my imagination. In reality no those guys could be my grandparents

It wasn't that long ago. The Maspeth 250 were the drivers who foolishly listened to their rogue BA and walked off the job. They sat at home for about two weeks before being brought back to work. The BA in question is no longer allowed on UPS property.

11.19igrad

Man I forgot to put in park or handbrake on a downward slope the other day and I almost always do both. I was rushing on a 300+ stop route. I have no idea how the truck didnt roll.
im happy for you. take it from me its an awful awful expereince. be super aware of this.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
BTW another thing. Drivers are not supposed to work on equipment , adjust , loosen, tighten anything. Write it up. If it is a safety item it will put out of service until repaired .

The vehicle will not roll if placed in park with the parking brake on.Unless mechanical failure. Like I said before either you messed up or a shop inspection of vehicle will clear you from fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.