roll away, never shown / told hand brake tightening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
My old Brownie days , pulled that brake up on every stop and the car was always in first gear,, in my tractor the last thing I do before getting out is to re-check I set the yellow parking brake

11.19igrad

BTW another thing. Drivers are not supposed to work on equipment , adjust , loosen, tighten anything. Write it up. If it is a safety item it will put out of service until repaired .

The vehicle will not roll if placed in park with the parking brake on.Unless mechanical failure. Like I said before either you messed up or a shop inspection of vehicle will clear you from fault.
i think the park didnt fully engage and shifted down to drive. and the handbrake was loose. will the gear shift move that far on its own? or did i think i put it in park and only put a loose handbrake up? :confused:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

i think the park didnt fully engage and shifted down to drive. and the handbrake was loose. will the gear shift move that far on its own? or did i think i put it in park and only put a loose handbrake up? :confused:

It is highly unlikely that the shift lever would have made it down to D. It probably stopped at N which when combined with the improperly secured handbrake allowed the vehicle to roll backward.

UPSER1987

I had a stop on a slight slope, as far as I know, I did my normal park and hand brake routine. I turn around after delivering, this #$%*%^$# truck is rolling back towards the right, into a yard crushing a mailbox. Its the worst nightmare dream-like experience I can't even explain. I just got reinstated after someone backed into my truck while I was out doing a delivery, now this.

What I can't fathom is how we are not drilled about checking the tightness of our hand brakes every day. It should be in our diad and there should be a daily routine check by mechanics that have signatures. I've never been told anything about tightening or loosening the handbrake. We are behind these trucks countless times doing deliveries, how are we not reminded to check this every day like we are told everything else, use horns, feet on pavement, etc.

I could have been killed, someone else could have been, this could have been absolutely devastating. I have some questions for a lawyer. How can the DOT not require management to regularly quiz us on handbrake checks? When we got back to the center, my sup tested the brake and it rolled in drive with the brake up. He showed me how to tighten it. Ive never been shown this. Ive never heard anyone talk about this ever. :sad::sad::sad:
I smell a troll. No one could be this stupid. This is day 1 :censored2:. Shame on you for not paying attention if this isn’t a troll.

11.19igrad

OP I think you learned your lesson. Now you're either going to be extremely lucky tomorrow, or unlucky. I'm betting the latter but I'm a terrible gambler so you may keep your job.

If you do get fired have a good cover story for your next job interview; like when I got fired. Maybe join the military if they're hiring. Marines generally have a handbrakes-off attitude. I'm not sure I was fired from there too
jeez lol

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
Just read the 30-day post about a guy having to scratch 10-straight days to make it & now this thread.

I'm at a point of needing anxiety medication hanging around here.

Think I'll surf Trump Twitter to calm my nerves.

BTW another thing. Drivers are not supposed to work on equipment , adjust , loosen, tighten anything. Write it up. If it is a safety item it will put out of service until repaired .

The vehicle will not roll if placed in park with the parking brake on.Unless mechanical failure. Like I said before either you messed up or a shop inspection of vehicle will clear you from fault.
Dear Lord

PT Car Washer

I smell a troll. No one could be this stupid. This is day 1 :censored2:. Shame on you for not paying attention if this isn’t a troll.
I absolutely believe the OP. You have not been around enough of the new 22.4 drivers. Automatic trucks, ORION, turn by turn navigation, PAL labels, $21/hr. I have heard dumber questions.

PT Car Washer

Negative. I was at Integrad the last week of February, so it's still fresh in my mind.

Checking the handbrake during pretrip? Yes. Adjusting tension? Not a word.
I believe you. Anything about checking engine oil? Or is that a mechanics responsibility also? Or radiator coolant? Or windshield washer fluid? How about DEF in the new diesel trucks?

Nah
I believe you. Anything about checking engine oil? Or is that a mechanics responsibility also? Or radiator coolant? Or windshield washer fluid? How about DEF in the new diesel trucks?

No to the DEF. Everything else you mentioned was explained by my center management team, but not at Integrad itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.