Rookie vs. Veteran

Overpaid Union Thug

When I bumped the kid I’m talking about he goes “man come on your route doesn’t even look bad” I told him “you’re right it’s not but yours looks better” lol he just gave me his diad and walked away
I had a guy almost cry one morning because they tried to stick me on a country route with a 5 cube bricked. Guy below me was covering the mall helper. Yeah that’s not happening. Have fun out in the country till 9:30 kid. He threw a hissy fit when I walked over and handed him my DIAD and grabbed his. “Man why you gotta bump me, as his eyes were tearing up” almost any other day I would’ve happily taken that country route, except to be the mall helper.
Some unassigned drivers get pretty desperate to avoid bumps. I’ve had a few try and hide from me because they knew I, or the next driver on the list, was likely bumping them. They seriously thought they wouldn’t be found. One just hid the DIAD and refused to tell anyone where it was and was banking on us giving up and moving on to another route. NOPE.

My favorites were the kids that would go running straight to the OCS or manager (depending on which would help that particular driver) and attempt to receive amnesty from getting bumped when they see us coming for their DIAD. LMFAO

I don’t know if the current crop of unassigned drivers behave these ways since I try and ignore most of what goes on before start time. But no one can overlook the army of unassigned drivers that comes in SO DAMN EARLY just to stare at the manning board and memorize every possible bump scenario, and stops on each route that’s in play, 30 minutes to an hour prior to start time. LOSERS! HA!

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
We sent two new guys to our neighboring town to help. One took out a route with 144 stops, the other 156, neither had a cradle. The guy with 144 called in every 20 minutes to bitch, whine, ask for help, whatever. He did 33 stops in 5 hours, ended up with so much help he delivered 92 of his 144 and worked 10.5 hours.

The guy with 156 worked a 9.5 day, called in once, to ask where a good spot near him was for lunch. Driver A is on his 32nd job. Driver B decided this is an awful time to be a cop and changed careers. He's just happy to be here and knows how to be resourceful.
In life, all you have is your body, your education, and your ATTITUDE

ManInBrown

What is a mall helper? You guys have helpers year round on the malls routes?
Yes. The main driver, drives the 24 footer to the mall. Only his/her diad communicates with the center. Helper DIAD doesn’t even have an option to message the center. The main driver is in charge of unloading at the mall and giving the helper his/her work. Sometimes the helper is a driver that isn’t even qualified to drive the truck. The helper job pays less than RPCD. You’re not classified as a RPCD. Obviously when the helper is on vacation and a RPCD covers the job it’s full rate. Years ago the mall helper in our center had a disability. Didn’t even have a drivers license. Don’t want to get into details about what the disability was just so I don’t give away the center I worked at.

ManInBrown

But no one can overlook the army of unassigned drivers that comes in SO DAMN EARLY just to stare at the manning board and memorize every possible bump scenario, and stops on each route that’s in play, 30 minutes to an hour prior to start time. LOSERS! HA!
Theres two types of package drivers that are the absolute biggest cowards in the entire UPS operation. The losers that show up 90 minutes early to stare at the board chewing their fingernails off every time an on car walks over to start assigning routes, or making a change.

And the 20+ year drivers that show up early and theyre on the computer the whole time shaking as they see the stops piling up on their route.You’re here 20 friend’n years and you still act like a scared little kid? We had two or three of them.

Ive said it 100 times on here, once you let everything go in one ear and out the other, and you finally come to the realization that no matter how bad your day looks, you’re bringing it in at 14 hours, package is easiest most stress free job in the world. I didn’t give one friend if I showed up on a day where they completely screwed me. I’d bring back missed at 10:45 if need be, I’d walk out to my car and go home. It’s really not that big a deal. Maybe I’m sick in the head. It just never bothered me. I’d drop anchor, and I’d shove a grievance where the sun don’t shine if you did it to me 3 days in a week. They love when drivers flip out over their dispatch. It shows you care. That you’re invested. That’s what they want. When you walk in 5 minutes before the start time whistling to yourself after you see your dispatch they think there’s something wrong with you. It drives them absolutely nuts.

Last edited:

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
The cradles and DIADs would work much longer if people took better care of them. Once the pins are bent and corroded that’s a wrap. I NEVER have issues with mine until I’m back from vacation. The current crop of drivers are the biggest friend* ups I’ve ever seen. Returning from a vacation or days of results in destroyed cradles, DIADs, and fobs along with missing fuel cards, driver follow ups, and pissed off customers.
I pulled up on a kid once having a full on sparring match with the cradle...

Overpaid Union Thug

Theres two types of package drivers that are the absolute biggest cowards in the entire UPS operation. The losers that show up 90 minutes early to stare at the board chewing their fingernails off every time an on car walks over to start assigning routes, or making a change.

And the 20+ year drivers that show up early and theyre on the computer the whole time shaking as they see the stops piling up on their route.You’re here 20 friend’n years and you still act like a scared little kid? We had two or three of them.

Ive said it 100 times on here, once you let everything go in one ear and out the other, and you finally come to the realization that no matter how bad your day looks, you’re bringing it in at 14 hours, package is easiest most stress free job in the world. I didn’t give one friend if I showed up on a day where they completely screwed me. I’d bring back missed at 10:45 if need be, I’d walk out to my car and go home. It’s really not that big a deal. Maybe I’m sick in the head. It just never bothered me. I’d drop anchor, and I’d shove a grievance where the sun don’t shine if you did it to me 3 days in a week. They love when drivers flip out over their dispatch. It shows you care. That you’re invested. That’s what they want. When you walk in 5 minutes before the start time whistling to yourself after you see your dispatch they think there’s something wrong with you. It drives them absolutely nuts.
Anyone who shows up to this job that early because they need the time to get mentally prepared to deliver packages is genuinely mentally ill. Or just epic *.

Last edited by a moderator:

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
I want to thank all the rookies out there and apologize for the lack of training and leadership our management teams have been showing lately ...you guys may just become RPCD someday if you put your heart and soul into it!!!
🧔✊
I haven’t had a safety ride along in almost 2 years. What management?

Wilson1397

Half the lies they tell about me aren't true!!

Don’t forget the guys that come in early to sort their truck before start time. We have rookies and veterans that do this……..ridiculous

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
Some unassigned drivers get pretty desperate to avoid bumps. I’ve had a few try and hide from me because they knew I, or the next driver on the list, was likely bumping them. They seriously thought they wouldn’t be found. One just hid the DIAD and refused to tell anyone where it was and was banking on us giving up and moving on to another route. NOPE.

My favorites were the kids that would go running straight to the OCS or manager (depending on which would help that particular driver) and attempt to receive amnesty from getting bumped when they see us coming for their DIAD. LMFAO

I don’t know if the current crop of unassigned drivers behave these ways since I try and ignore most of what goes on before start time. But no one can overlook the army of unassigned drivers that comes in SO DAMN EARLY just to stare at the manning board and memorize every possible bump scenario, and stops on each route that’s in play, 30 minutes to an hour prior to start time. LOSERS! HA!
We have a few guys with unassigned routes that try and hide out in one of the air trailers to avoid having to work at all. They get mad when I find them and hand them my board if I need a day off. I always tell them, hey you can either have my low-pickup, peaceful country town route or have billy bob find you with his 500 pieces-in-a-1200 and 30 pickup route.

"yeah....I guess you're right." Suddenly doesn't seem so bad.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I like this thread
giphy-11.gif