RPCD forced Tues-Sat

Currently we have around 115 total drivers in our building.
We have 11 22.4 drivers, but run 22 routes every Saturday with 29 people scheduled T-S.
The 18 of us that were hired RPCD a year before our center even thought of running Saturday ground filed a grievance in October for the breach of contract of them forcing us working Saturdays.

According to the contract, we COULD be forced to work that schedule until October (which is 18 months after contract ratification) but are still forced to this day.

Our grievance went deadlocked at the local and regional level, and the day of the state hearing the company postponed (1 month ago).

Right now the union said the company is still in negotiations, but there IS NOTHING TO NEGOTIATE.

----

Yes, the company can force people to work IF AND ONLY IF the company has 25% of the driver force as 22.4s, but in this case we only have ~9%.

What do you guys suggest we do? It seems as if our union isn't doing anything and just letting the company take advantage of this even though it should have been prevented.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
We have 11 22.4 drivers, but run 22 routes every Saturday with 29 people scheduled T-S.
The 18 of us that were hired RPCD a year before our center even thought of running Saturday ground filed a grievance in October for the breach of contract of them forcing us working Saturdays.

According to the contract, we COULD be forced to work that schedule until October (which is 18 months after contract ratification) but are still forced to this day.

Our grievance went deadlocked at the local and regional level, and the day of the state hearing the company postponed (1 month ago).

Right now the union said the company is still in negotiations, but there IS NOTHING TO NEGOTIATE.

----

Yes, the company can force people to work IF AND ONLY IF the company has 25% of the driver force as 22.4s, but in this case we only have ~9%.

What do you guys suggest we do? It seems as if our union isn't doing anything and just letting the company take advantage of this even though it should have been prevented.

When was the contract ratified? It's been 29 months since it was ratified, 23 since it went into effect. Next month would be the absolute latest they could keep rpcds on a t-s schedule. If the grievance system fails to ensure contract compliance, you still have the courts.

542thruNthru

That too. They are only allowed to have up to 25% of ground drivers be 22.4, none of the language is contingent on them having 25% 22.4.
I would only disagree with this based on this language.
Screenshot_20210304-205708_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

If the company is truly committed they would hire more 22.4 since they are well under the 25%.

When was the contract ratified? It's been 29 months since it was ratified, 23 since it went into effect. Next month would be the absolute latest they could keep rpcds on a t-s schedule. If the grievance system fails to ensure contract compliance, you still have the courts.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210304-232407_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20210304-232407_Drive.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 110

----

So you have 115 including 22.4s?

2 months ago a posting for 6 22.4s was up. About 10 people signed it, and not one has started yet.

So the company isn't really trying, surprise. I can really only say let it play out at the next panel, since it's been heard twice now you're kind of committed to ride it out and see where it goes. Problem is that there is no financial penalty so there isn't really any motivation to move you guys. The routes have to be ran and our job is delivering packages, so the union can't really order you to not go in. Yes, it should have been prevented, but here you are. The negotiations may be drawing a new deadline, or negotiating 5 or 6 of you to M-friend for now and the rest by whatever date.

Short answer: you're *ed for now.

Our next step is to stop paying union dues until we are moved back and/or get a lawyer. Our local union reps don't give a :censored2: it seems like. It's basically a shrug from them.

Once the company realizes they can take advantage of this, who's to say they won't do it more often with other things?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Our next step is to stop paying union dues until we are moved back and/or get a lawyer. Our local union reps don't give a * it seems like. It's basically a shrug from them.

Once the company realizes they can take advantage of this, who's to say they won't do it more often with other things?

How do you propose to stop paying union dues? Do you currently cut them a check every month?

Contract was ratified over 24 months ago, and went into effect almost 24 months ago. Most people think that the effective date is the same as the ratification date for the purpose of that language. 18 months is not this October, it was last October.

As for the 25%, read the language again, that means they can up the percentage of allowable 22.4's above 25% if there is enough volume on the weekends, and with the Union's approval. It has nothing to do with moving RPCD's to a m-friend schedule.

Talk to your local prez, and work your way up. You can file a failure to represent with the NLRB if you have to, and you could also file unfair labor practices against the company. But, court could be an option.

I am not recommending this, but you could, hypothetically, try to force the issue by not showing up on Saturdays, and showing up on Monday. See who blinks first. You would just have to decide if it's worth risking your job over.

Last edited:

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I would only disagree with this based on this language.
View attachment 330314

If the company is truly committed they would hire more 22.4 since they are well under the 25%.

I always suspected you were a company shill, you SOB. :laughing:

Seriously, though, I don't think the Union or the company really thought out this 22.4 thing very well. Big surprise. Duh, what were they supposed to do the rest of the week? Displace cheap part time labor to work inside at full time wages? That was never going to happen. Can't bump RPCD's, they don't want to run extra routes. Maybe this was the master plan all along? Cripple the company so the next contract negotiation they'll be willing to give up anything to fix the 22.4 language. If that's the case, I'd take back anything bad I ever said about the union. That's just brilliant! I always wondered what the strategy was.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
@brownprincess Just reread the original post, I thought you were saying you thought they could work you t-s until next October. I realize you meant last October. Just missed the deadline to edit my last response to you.

Brown Biscuit

Blind every day
Force the issue. Call off every Saturday. If their routes don’t have people to run them, they will have to Brown Up and do it themselves or hire more people. A lot of people in my building have been dealing with this too.

Last edited:

Brownsocks

Just a dog
Force the issue. Call off every Saturday. If their routes don’t have people to run them, they will have to Brown Up and do it themselves or hire more people. A lot of people in my building have been dealing with this too.
Imo they can't point you, so no reason to call in. Tell your ORS that you won't be working Saturday and let it ride. It would never stick if they tried to fire you.

UPSjedi41

----

Our local and UPS had an extension agreement because of Covid. We are currently at @40% 22.4 drivers in our center. We are doing a union file for the building for too many 22.4 drivers. They have not promoted one 22.4 to RPCD since the contract passed. We have lost a lot of RPCDs

charm299

----

You should be lucky your on a t-s schedule. At my center, they try forcing m- friend to work Saturday also.