Sailfish's Badass Critter Thread

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
31BAA6E2-F09E-44FE-A63A-3E55DA11A33F.jpeg

The rain is bring out the little baby frogs.

Mutineer

Jerusalem cricket. I see them in the fall. They eat most anything they blunder into. I caught a pair one day and put them in a 2'x4' terrarium. Fed them water, scraps, and dry cat food. Crunch, crunch, crunch. Their mandibles are quite powerful. They can easily slice skin. One got me on the thumb.

Things went well for a few days and I noticed one was missing a leg. Then a few days later, they were tangled up with each other and biting each-others legs off. Their legs have barbs. So if they get tangled up with each-other, they are stuck. So they bite each other until they get disentangled. And then you have a couple of legless, wiggling sausage-creatures.

They are aggressive. If you pick one up or touch it with a stick, it will fight.

Mutineer

I like bats. Although as a kid, my friends and I would practice on them with shotguns. I feel kinda' bad about that now.

My neighbor had a couple of very tall, powerful floodlights in order to illuminate the piles of junk outside of his workshop. The light attracted insects, and the bats would follow. And my friends and I would take turns shooting at the bats.

One night, my friend's dad joined us. He had been drinking and shot out one of his own lights. No big whoop, really. He had a cherry-picker lift and replaced it soon enough.