Serious accident involving a helper

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
soberups,

Based upon your view of the car, what type of passenger restraint system would have been in the car if it is the type you have mentioned?

I realize this is only your opinion based upon the photo that has been posted.

Sincerely,
I

If I recall correctly, those cars came from the factory without a passenger seat. Instead there was a mounting bracket for a removeable seat that had its own lap belt. I think that they were subsequently upgraded with the installation of a permanent, non-removeable seat with a lap belt. There was no provision for a 3 point passenger belt on the older cars. The newer cars (post-1995) all come from the factory with a permanently mounted fold-up passenger seat and 3 point belt.

It would be ignorant of me to even speculate on whether or not the type of seatbelt had any bearing on the injuries suffered by the helper. I am not even certain that I am correct about the type of package car due to the poor quality of the photograph. I am pretty much speculating on everything at this point.

Johney

Sober,
I believe your right about the truck except for no power steering. If you look close at the pic you can see a white sticker above the gas cap. That would most likely mean a diesel which I think all had power steering. But you are right, when those trucks stalled the brakes wouldn't work worth a crap. I drove one for many years.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
384756_2430298921568_1374456483_32288151_1787130231_n1-2.jpg
This is the package car sitting in the police dept parking lot, taken by a local Fedex driver.

Last edited:
Sober,
I believe your right about the truck except for no power steering. If you look close at the pic you can see a white sticker above the gas cap. That would most likely mean a diesel which I think all had power steering. But you are right, when those trucks stalled the brakes wouldn't work worth a crap. I drove one for many years.

I've driven diesel 10 cubes for many years with manual steering. When we got power brakes, the electric back-up worked well. There are just too many different trucks and systems in the fleet for us to speculate about what this truck has.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
soberups,

Based upon your view of the car, what type of passenger restraint system would have been in the car if it is the type you have mentioned?

I realize this is only your opinion based upon the photo that has been posted.

Sincerely,
I

A lap belt is all that is installed in these older 1000s for the passenger AND the driver. We have three off them and everyone cringes when they have to drive one. There was a time several years ago I had heard a rumor that UPS would not keep a truck more than 25 yrs of service. We have 3 1000s and 1 800 that are 1986 models.

Johney

I've driven diesel 10 cubes for many years with manual steering. When we got power brakes, the electric back-up worked well. There are just too many different trucks and systems in the fleet for us to speculate about what this truck has.
Ok then I stand corrected. I've never seen one that's all.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Sober,
​If it's white it's not diesel. Yellow is diesel.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I seem to recall those cars having electrical-assist power brakes, and if the motor wasnt running the brakes wouldnt work worth a damn. I can remember missing a shift on a hill and stalling it, and then starting to roll backwards even though I was stepping on the brake pedal with all of my strength. Lots of beeping from the dashboard, and a humming noise, but no real stopping power.

I also know those old 4 speeds could be a real bitch to get into gear if you were rolling at any speed. If your speed didnt match the rpms that the engine would turn in the gear you were trying to select, it would just grind and stay in neutral and you couldnt get it into gear even with the clutch pedal floored.

....................................................................................
Prayers for all involved.
​I've had the same problem.......................... it's scary.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
​If it's white it's not diesel. Yellow is diesel.

I think you are correct.

The photo is blurry when I blow it up, but two things stick out. The seat is not one of the newer, high-backed seats. It appears to be one of the old low-backed stadium seats that was no higher than the top of the steering wheel. The shape of the dashboard also tells me that it is one of the older GMC P-10's of 1980's vintage with the gasoline 4.3 liter V-6 and 4-speed stick shift. I cant read the car# but I would bet anything it starts with 110,111 or 112xxx. Those were the last of the "iron maiden" high-step manual steering cars, the ones numbered 113 and up had power steering.

If these cars stalled out, the brakes were almost useless until you got the engine started again.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
^^^Yep. My thoughts exactly. With the low driver's seat, both sides would have lap belts only. And that electric "brake assist" was just about as scary as anything could be. Mostly worthless.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Re: A Brown Cafe Christmas Blessing. Aid to a fallen coworker! Join me if you will!

Thanks for the link. Was wondering how to help and keep track of how he is doing.

Just wondering if any of you read the comments section on the Facebook page where it says that the driver had reported a defective keyless ignition on the package car, and that management had told him to keep driving the vehicle? According to these same comments, the driver "panicked" when he couldn't re-start the vehicle and things went really bad after that. No proof that this is what happened, but the comments seem well-informed, and may well be true.

Please donate generously (I'm going to), but this sounds like a needless tragedy that could have easily been prevented. We use keyless systems too ( magnetic wristband), and I'm wondering if UPS package cars have the same lame system.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Re: A Brown Cafe Christmas Blessing. Aid to a fallen coworker! Join me if you will!

Just wondering if any of you read the comments section on the Facebook page where it says that the driver had reported a defective keyless ignition on the package car, and that management had told him to keep driving the vehicle? According to these same comments, the driver "panicked" when he couldn't re-start the vehicle and things went really bad after that. No proof that this is what happened, but the comments seem well-informed, and may well be true.

Please donate generously (I'm going to), but this sounds like a needless tragedy that could have easily been prevented. We use keyless systems too ( magnetic wristband), and I'm wondering if UPS package cars have the same lame system.
I seriously doubt that UPS retro-fitted that truck with key-less ignition. All those all old trucks are being decommissioned. Just at an off hand guess, I'd say that truck is 20 years old.

FOOTNOTE: There was a post on Facebook, the lawyers are asking that all refrain from making any comments about UPS. I should clarify that it is not UPS lawyers that are asking.

Last edited: