Sheeting damages as missed

UPSGUY72

Just work as directed your still getting paid..

The reason that they want you to sheet damaged packages as missed is because once you sheet a package as damaged the system automatically starts the process of paying a claim and notifies the shipper.

If when you bring the package back to the clerk at night and they inspect it and find that nothing is broke and it just needs to be repacked and sent out tomorrow the claims process is already started and the shipper might have already sent out a replacement and stopping payment of the claim might no be able to happen...

Just follow the instruction that they give you who cares what there reasoning is

canoworms

Just as I suspected nothing happened this morning. However, we were instructed to sheet damaged on car packages as will call!? I advised the members to ignore the center manager and sheet as missed. Stay tuned. Should be an interesting Monday. My next move is to call the 1800 help line to get a definitive answere. Can't have it both ways.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
A damaged package is a missed package as you are missing the delivery or customer visibility is lost, and if it is delivered customers get angry. Any other disposition is an integrity issue. Yeah, my report may show that I have a missed but this is normally how the conversation goes: "why did your driver have missed packages?" "It was damaged" "Oh, have a good day"

The difference is missed means we just pay for the shipping as opposed to damaged makes it super easy for a full claim to be awarded.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I have a damage pkg right now on car and I sent a message asking the center if they wanted me to sheet it as missed per training, I received two weeks ago. The message the center sent back was to sheet as damage. I will take pic of the message for evidence.

Why bother even asking the center?

You, along with every other driver who works for this company, just completed the same DIAD training regarding the correct method for recording damaged packages. Clear instructions have already been given. If your management team doesnt want the missed package showing up on the report, they are free to go in and edit your delivery records and timecard after you have clocked off. They wont do this, of course, because those edits also show up on a report and they dont want to get in trouble. So they ask you to be dishonest on their behalf. Dont even give them the opportunity to ask you in the future, just follow the instructions you were given in the DIAD training and continue on with your day.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We had this training months ago. We were told to key in "DAM" to stand for damaged in the remarks field. I think that we should have a "Hold for Inspection" option in the DIAD instead of recording as a miss.

S

serenity now

We had this training months ago. We were told to key in "DAM" to stand for damaged in the remarks field. I think that we should have a "Hold for Inspection" option in the DIAD instead of recording as a miss.

there is an Inspection option under other, but they won't let us use it

they also won't let us use other, other which is a shame because then you could enter the real reason for a non-delivery
we don't want truth; we prefer smoke and mirrors

balland chain

Yeah, your right,, Corporate is in LA LA land, and that is where our junior managers want them to be so they dont get nailed to the wall.. it is always something.. Corporate has NO idea what goes on daily at the centers across the USA,, why dont they ever make any surprise visits???

balland chain

Yeah management teaches us to lie like them,, possibly preparing us for Management... and they call US dishonest... I think they need to look in the mirror....

AKCoverMan

You should have worked as directed. In our district; you must work as directed unless that direction is a safety issue. Do what your sup says, document it, and then question it to their superior. Refusing to work as directed will get you discharged. I have been instructed to DR businesses on a 3 day ride in their mail slots and I did. I then brought it up with the superiors and it was corrected.
Bottom line Work as Directed

With respect to you sir, I cannot agree. If you are being told to do something wrong and unethical you should not do it simply under the banner of "work as directed" just becuase it's not a safety issue. Calling a damaged package a "future" falls in that category. I have been told in the past to sheet a missed business as NI1/resi. Nope. Not gonna do it. Go ahead and terminate me.

We had a thread on here some time ago where a driver was told by an on-car in an ODS message to leave his misloads by the side of the road at a certain intersection and the supe would come get them and deliver them. Forget about that it's wrong for the supe to deliver.. he was telling the driver to leave the packages by the side of the road, just right out in the open, and drive away. Frankly, I think if you "work as directed" that blindly you should not be a driver.

We are NOT just dumb truck drivers. We are highly paid, skilled professionals. The fact that we are not in management does not mean we do not know right from wrong.

Indecisi0n

Just as I suspected nothing happened this morning. However, we were instructed to sheet damaged on car packages as will call!? I advised the members to ignore the center manager and sheet as missed. Stay tuned. Should be an interesting Monday. My next move is to call the 1800 help line to get a definitive answere. Can't have it both ways.

Ever been told to pick your battles wisely? Who really gives a **** what/how a package is sheeted? Just save the DIAD message telling to you do whatever they save and your ass is now covered.

S

serenity now

Ever been told to pick your battles wisely? Who really gives a **** what/how a package is sheeted? Just save the DIAD message telling to you do whatever they save and your ass is now covered.

i just play their game *
my only objective is to get back to GO and collect another $200, over and over and over again!
:happy-very:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Go to upsers.com in my work space. Go to destination damage. There is a section under mgmnt explaining how to sheet a suspected damage. Print this section and if they tell you different, shove it in their face.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
What do you expect !!!

The company is being run by someone who never delivered a package IN HIS LIFE !!!!!

Just trickles down from there. Do as instructed, your paycheck will still be the same amount either way.

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
Why bother even asking the center?

You, along with every other driver who works for this company, just completed the same DIAD training regarding the correct method for recording damaged packages. Clear instructions have already been given. If your management team doesnt want the missed package showing up on the report, they are free to go in and edit your delivery records and timecard after you have clocked off. They wont do this, of course, because those edits also show up on a report and they dont want to get in trouble. So they ask you to be dishonest on their behalf. Dont even give them the opportunity to ask you in the future, just follow the instructions you were given in the DIAD training and continue on with your day.

The main reason of sending the message was to give them a heads up that I was going to have a miss pkg. I understand what you are saying and I've should of just sheeted the pkg as missed.

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
Go to upsers.com in my work space. Go to destination damage. There is a section under mgmnt explaining how to sheet a suspected damage. Print this section and if they tell you different, shove it in their face.

Thanks for the good info. Just yesterday I was telling another driver I wish i had a copy of how to sheet a damage pkg training we did on the diad for future references.

upsmanclt

IMG_0023.jpg
IMG_0024.jpg
IMG_0025.jpg
IMG_0026.jpg
IMG_0027.jpg
IMG_0023.jpg
IMG_0024.jpg
IMG_0025.jpg
IMG_0026.jpg
IMG_0027.jpg

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
i just play their game *
my only objective is to get back to GO and collect another $200, over and over and over again!
:happy-very:

This is the most frustrating part of the micromanaging to me. All I want to do is show up almost everyday for the next 30 years do my job go home and retire. Is that too much to ask?

I think this is how most upsers feel. We aren't here to screw ups. We just want to have an uneventful day go home and do the same thing tomorrow.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
You have to work as directed, provided the directive isn't illegal, dishonest or unsafe.
For all of you cowards that persist that we should just do whatever they say, I submit this is the very mindset that has us spiraling backwards as a union.
If we would COLLECTIVELY hold management to their own rules and methods, things would be so much better.
Thank you canoworms for providing an excellent example for all of our workers who just can't seem to get the their tail from between their legs.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I may be a little anal retentive but I write every training I do in the DIAD down in my daily work journal. I always cover myself. You never know when you might get a new mgmt. team in and they have no idea what has gone on for the past 25 years!

Bingo. That's probably the best thing you can do working for this company. And save any and ALL papers they give you regarding work rules.