Should I become a on car supervisor

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Hello fellow upsers.

I have a few questions about becoming a on car supervisor. I'm a fairly new employee with about 5 years under my belt. 3 years as a tcd and 2 years as a ft driver. I was recently approached by our center manager and asked if I would be interested in being a on car supervisor. If I take the position I will be sent of to integrad from what I was told. What all does this evolve ? Is there any on car sups here that moved from being a ft driver and regret it now lol ?

I would love to move to this position but I do not want to regret it.
as a 30 year veteran package driver, u would have to triple my pay. I have never seen such a bunch of unorganized, hands tied by upper management in all my career here This constant musical chairs of managers destroys the consistency that is needed to have a decent day. You wont move up for years to come:hang:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Hello fellow upsers.

I have a few questions about becoming a on car supervisor. I'm a fairly new employee with about 5 years under my belt. 3 years as a tcd and 2 years as a ft driver. I was recently approached by our center manager and asked if I would be interested in being a on car supervisor. If I take the position I will be sent of to integrad from what I was told. What all does this evolve ? Is there any on car sups here that moved from being a ft driver and regret it now lol ?

I would love to move to this position but I do not want to regret it.
At least you won't have any free time problems.

trickpony1

I'm sensing the OP is tired of and/or questioning his ability to handle the physical aspects of the job in his later years.

Some people go into management for this reason. Is the mental torment/hassle worth it? I don't know.

BrownInTx

I'm sensing the OP is tired of and/or questioning his ability to handle the physical aspects of the job in his later years.

Some people go into management for this reason. Is the mental torment/hassle worth it? I don't know.

You guessed it. I want to be able to walk when I'm 60 and toss a football with my grandkids. But from the posts I may have to reconsider and just watch lmao

trickpony1

That doesn't seem to be the routine here.

....it may not be until 2 or 3 of your bosses corner you with...."we need you in California for the midnight sort starting next Sunday".

When you object they threaten you with....."it's your career.....".

Is it worth it? If you think you are a beeyotch now, as a pkg driver, just wait until you go management. I've seen it.

BrownInTx

....it may not be until 2 or 3 of your bosses corner you with...."we need you in California for the midnight sort starting next Sunday".

When you object they threaten you with....."it's your career.....".

Is it worth it? If you think you are a beeyotch now, as a pkg driver, just wait until you go management. I've seen it.

This sounds familiar already. The center managers pitch was we can move you out to and says two different cities that are twice the size of the city I live in now. I replied with I have no interest in moving but might consider a position here.

JL 0513

Our on cars average 7:30am to 8:30pm everyday on salary so it ends up a lot less per hour than drivers make. These sups are constantly moved around. We have new on cars every 2 years on average - change for change's sake. You'll end up with very long commutes on top of your 13 hr days. Not sure why you'd want to be responsible for addressing all the problems that arise all day long, everyday for less money. ONLY, if you have lots of physical problems would this make sense.

BrownInTx

I really appreciate all the replies. I'm starting to reconsider the offer that was made now.

Our on cars average 7:30am to 8:30pm everyday on salary so it ends up a lot less per hour than drivers make. These sups are constantly moved around. We have new on cars every 2 years on average - change for change's sake. You'll end up with very long commutes on top of your 13 hr days. Not sure why you'd want to be responsible for addressing all the problems that arise all day long, everyday for less money. ONLY, if you have lots of physical problems would this make sense.

One of our oncars has been here 3+ years and told me last week if he got offered more money he might move. If not he will retire at our center in 5 more years.

Pooter

If you're a FT package driver, the only move is to feeders or 22.3

Or unemployment but that's something else :D

JackStraw

This past peak a building 50 miles away was sinking. Our OC's had to go there for two weeks to help out. Last year, different building, same thing. 70-80 hours each week. Another was transferred to another building where the traffic was so bad he had to get an apartment near it. Another thing to consider is the center manager. If he she is a RICHARD(seems like they all are like this lately) and only cares about how many times a driver put it in reverse or if he honks the horn at every squirrel, they also can make it miserable. I know all the OC's, the drivers, the clerks, the OMS's hate the center manager we currently have.