Should I become a on car supervisor

rod

Retired 22 years
You guessed it. I want to be able to walk when I'm 60 and toss a football with my grandkids. But from the posts I may have to reconsider and just watch lmao

I'm 68 and can "run" and toss a football. I was a driver for 30 years. Just saying........if you let UPS beat the health out of you--they will. If you go at a safe speed and ignore their numbers and work with the Union you can escape healthy. Sometimes I believe I have more energy than my "computer game playing- phone reliant" Grandkids.

BrownTexas

That's a big problem. You have someone who has very little experience telling you how to do the job. On the other hand anyone that's been here for awhile would never jump into management.
Makes it somewhat easy to give new drivers the right information. All you have to say is "so and so" couldnt do the job. Why are you listening to him? Lol

BrownInTx

I'm 68 and can "run" and toss a football. I was a driver for 30 years. Just saying........if you let UPS beat the health out of you--they will. If you go at a safe speed and ignore their numbers and work with the Union you can escape healthy. Sometimes I believe I have more energy than my "computer game playing- phone reliant" Grandkids.

Guess I will opt back into the 9.5 tomorrow

BrownInTx

At what age did you retire ?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Hello fellow upsers.

I have a few questions about becoming a on car supervisor. I'm a fairly new employee with about 5 years under my belt. 3 years as a tcd and 2 years as a ft driver. I was recently approached by our center manager and asked if I would be interested in being a on car supervisor. If I take the position I will be sent of to integrad from what I was told. What all does this evolve ? Is there any on car sups here that moved from being a ft driver and regret it now lol ?

I would love to move to this position but I do not want to regret it.

@upsguy72

He has disappeared from here since he made the switch.

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
Hello fellow upsers.

I have a few questions about becoming a on car supervisor. I'm a fairly new employee with about 5 years under my belt. 3 years as a tcd and 2 years as a ft driver. I was recently approached by our center manager and asked if I would be interested in being a on car supervisor. If I take the position I will be sent of to integrad from what I was told. What all does this evolve ? Is there any on car sups here that moved from being a ft driver and regret it now lol ?

I would love to move to this position but I do not want to regret it.
Do not understand why you would love this position. You have way more freedom as a driver and don't have to put up with all the BS that supervisors have to deal with. The only way this would make sense is if your body is falling apart or you just can't handle the work that a driver has to do on a daily basis.

km3

That's a big problem. You have someone who has very little experience telling you how to do the job. On the other hand anyone that's been here for awhile would never jump into management.

We have entire departments based on the idea that people who sit in offices all day, with little or no experience doing the actual job, know better than the people that are out doing the work.

A helper on the sort line got stuck using a cell phone as part of a pilot program this year, instead of a DIAD. He reported all of the problems to the on-car, who relayed them to the guy from TSG, and he just said "Well, he just doesn't know how to use it."

So they setup a test program to see how it's going to work, and when they get overwhelmingly negative feedback, they just say the dumb hourlies don't know what they're doing. Seems legit. Maybe they should go out and test these new programs themselves, for a change.

We have entire departments based on the idea that people who sit in offices all day, with little or no experience doing the actual job, know better than the people that are out doing the work.

A helper on the sort line got stuck using a cell phone as part of a pilot program this year, instead of a DIAD. He reported all of the problems to the on-car, who relayed them to the guy from TSG, and he just said "Well, he just doesn't know how to use it."

So they setup a test program to see how it's going to work, and when they get overwhelmingly negative feedback, they just say the dumb hourlies don't know what they're doing. Seems legit. Maybe they should go out and test these new programs themselves, for a change.
Our center decided to test them out peak week. WTF?

km3

And of course they didn't give the drivers adequate training. Thankfully it only lasted two days

The guy I work with on the sort line was stuck with it for all of peak, after using a DIAD V for his entire first week as helper. He got hired on permanently shortly before peak started. He wanted to be a driver. After seeing how this place operates, he's not so sure anymore. Other than the cell phone, he liked the helper job a lot more than inside jobs, though.