Sick of the Brown

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
how do find time to complain/observe all of this while barely working to make 100 a week? sounds like you're stealing company time.

Lmfao stealing company time. You mean when union workers stand around with nothing to do and still get paid for it. If you were in my hub, youd know what I was talking about. But your not. So you dont. I've been here almost a year and it's been to long for me. 2 hours a day of this work is cake but it's the miscommunication that drives us all nuts.

I dunno. He may have a point. I've got family in upstate NY near Cicero and their stuff comes through the Syracuse hub. They always complain about how nothing gets there on time, UPS breaks all their packages and when they do get there, its typically a misdelivery.

Ghost in the Darkness

Lmfao stealing company time. You mean when union workers stand around with nothing to do and still get paid for it. If you were in my hub, youd know what I was talking about. But your not. So you dont. I've been here almost a year and it's been to long for me. 2 hours a day of this work is cake but it's the miscommunication that drives us all nuts.
I get it... change your mindset to just accept you are there to make money off other people's stupidity. That and I'm paid to exercise all help me to keep a positive attitude. I was the last one done on Christmas Eve... got home ran errands and was up til 6 a.m. finish wrapping presents and getting everything all set for my kids to have a great Christmas.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Rapture, welcome to the brotherhood of Teamsters and this message board.
Airports are a different breed, the contracts usually don't apply them. You're also a part-timer, so the contracts are different for you then the full-time drivers. UPS and the teamsters are not what they were in the past.

Sadly you would have made far more this past year if you were a PVD or Seasonal.
To those who tell the newbies, to suck it up..... quit whining.... punch a clock, work as directed and shut-up. Read a contract, (that basically doesn't cover them, or sure doesn't during peak, or when we're essential workers.

This newbie, paid the same darn initial dues, that pay for the retirees pensions and healthcare.
They are someone who actually cares enough to come here and learn, talk, ask questions. Knock them down all you want to. Call them a whiner.... complainer... But don't expect them to care, that retirees pensions and healthcare changes. They may tell them to quit whining and complaining.

OP- UPS has changed as has the "brotherhood" of Teamsters. There are better jobs out there, ones where you don't have to work every darn Christmas eve forever. Where you can actually request a holiday week off or one day of the week. Don't know your specific contract or hub- Not possible in mine, doubt possible in yours.

Looking forward, with how airports work under contracts, no one will choose to go to work there. It's just not worth the time and energy if you are not a driver or wanting to become one, (not everyone does)

Good luck to you- Make sure to request your union card when you leave, in case you ever get a job with the union again. That way, you won't have to pay another initiation fee. Be grateful you only spent a year here, you can walk away, it's not your career. I've spent longer... But I too will be leaving. Grateful I can, feel for those that invested more time in and actually think, they will make it to retirement someday....
I dispute most of this.
I would argue, that for the skillset required, UPS is one of the very best jobs out there, period.

For part timers, no. But as a driver?

You get paid 100K a year, get best in class insurance, a pension that for most will be worth well over a million dollars, and huge job security as brick and mortar stores get displaced by the internet.

If you're crying that you have to work Christmas Eve, get over it. We get a lot of holidays. Christmas we don't get the day off before, because our business over peak is making sure that everyone else's Christmas isn't ruined.

I presume you are talking about the Air hub and gateway operations employees, when you are talking about the contract not applying?The contract has articles that govern those employees too. Article 46 in my contract for 710, if I recall correctly.

What articles of the contract do not apply during peak and during this pandemic?

The initiation fees do not go toward covering the retirees pensions or healthcare.

You absolutely can request a holiday week or day off. Just not after Thanksgiving. Again, our job requires all hands on deck during Christmas time.

I wish both of you the best, but you are being somewhat shortsighted.
Those "better jobs" will likely not have the pay rate, the insurance, or the pension that comes with this job.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
I'm more of a jack Daniel's man. N I'm sorry I thought this was for discussions and talking through issues... not trading the asses I work with for asses I can't even see face to face lol. I guess media thugs can be found every where on social media lololol
You need to learn to shut your brain 🧠 off during work hours. It’s the key to longevity at ups (in any department)

SLW

You all are being too hard on this guy for complaining. This job will never get any better and in fact will only get worse if no one calls out the bull:censored2:.

Benefits

I dispute most of this.
I would argue, that for the skillset required, UPS is one of the very best jobs out there, period.

For part timers, no. But as a driver?

You get paid 100K a year, get best in class insurance, a pension that for most will be worth well over a million dollars, and huge job security as brick and mortar stores get displaced by the internet.

If you're crying that you have to work Christmas Eve, get over it. We get a lot of holidays. Christmas we don't get the day off before, because our business over peak is making sure that everyone else's Christmas isn't ruined.

I presume you are talking about the Air hub and gateway operations employees, when you are talking about the contract not applying?The contract has articles that govern those employees too. Article 46 in my contract for 710, if I recall correctly.

What articles of the contract do not apply during peak and during this pandemic?

The initiation fees do not go toward covering the retirees pensions or healthcare.

You absolutely can request a holiday week or day off. Just not after Thanksgiving. Again, our job requires all hands on deck during Christmas time.

I wish both of you the best, but you are being somewhat shortsighted.
Those "better jobs" will likely not have the pay rate, the insurance, or the pension that comes with this job.
Thanks for the well wishes, I wish the same for you.
Though I've worked for UPS for 10 years, my seniority in my area (not center) is low. Here we pick our vacations for the year in November. I won't see the bid sheet until February. Last year, by the time I got it, there were only 5 weeks of the year available. No chance of getting a week around ANY holiday- Easter, Memorial, 4th of July, Labor day. Also not much time to PLAN any kind of winter one. Summer weeks are gone.

We also only follow the part of the contract about seniority mattering when it comes to MORE hours. One can't grieve it if you are sent out of your area to work another, when they let people with less seniority leave earlier. I THOUGHT I could grieve it, was told I was correct. I wasn't. Misinformation... At least Christmas Eve I knew that, so when I was one of the last working, OUTSIDE of my area. I didn't get angry. Just is what it is.

I have requested a move to another area where I would have better seniority, smalls. I started unloading trucks, as I age I know I won't be able to do that for long. I was told they would, but they keep putting new hires in there.

As for short sighted... I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you. I say this with RESPECT though.
With the seasonal helpers and PVD's I believe it is going to become more difficult for drivers to earn $100,000 a year. I worry about the automated package trucks of the future and drones. I also read about how retirees were told to expect healthcare and pensions that changed and are changing from WHEN they chose to retire. (central states).

This was a tough year, with covid, with the riots and the lockdowns. Being an essential worker... a HERO!!! Is highly over rated!
At least when the riots hit, the grocery store, big box stores closed down. They have some darn plexiglass, wear a mask inside, not working lifting darn packages non stop in the heat. They have sanitizer at their work station, not across the darn center. I have to kind of chuckle.... the belt they work on, they can slow down. Not the case in my area. Nor is there any 6 foot rule.
A long list.... which I'm done caring about. It's just not for everyone... Not for me anymore!

Rapture

Rapture, welcome to the brotherhood of Teamsters and this message board.
Airports are a different breed, the contracts usually don't apply them. You're also a part-timer, so the contracts are different for you then the full-time drivers. UPS and the teamsters are not what they were in the past.

Sadly you would have made far more this past year if you were a PVD or Seasonal.
To those who tell the newbies, to suck it up..... quit whining.... punch a clock, work as directed and shut-up. Read a contract, (that basically doesn't cover them, or sure doesn't during peak, or when we're essential workers.

This newbie, paid the same darn initial dues, that pay for the retirees pensions and healthcare.
They are someone who actually cares enough to come here and learn, talk, ask questions. Knock them down all you want to. Call them a whiner.... complainer... But don't expect them to care, that retirees pensions and healthcare changes. They may tell them to quit whining and complaining.

OP- UPS has changed as has the "brotherhood" of Teamsters. There are better jobs out there, ones where you don't have to work every darn Christmas eve forever. Where you can actually request a holiday week off or one day of the week. Don't know your specific contract or hub- Not possible in mine, doubt possible in yours.

Looking forward, with how airports work under contracts, no one will choose to go to work there. It's just not worth the time and energy if you are not a driver or wanting to become one, (not everyone does)

Good luck to you- Make sure to request your union card when you leave, in case you ever get a job with the union again. That way, you won't have to pay another initiation fee. Be grateful you only spent a year here, you can walk away, it's not your career. I've spent longer... But I too will be leaving. Grateful I can, feel for those that invested more time in and actually think, they will make it to retirement someday....
Wow, someone with some decency. Yeah, I've only picked this part time job up at the time because I was the only one able to work due to certain issues my wife was going through so I just grabbed what job I could. I read through the contract and all that and it just seems like b.s. from what has happened this past year alone. Like I've stated before it's not the job that's hard its dealing with :censored2:s and rejection ts who couldn't make it doing anything else so they've been there so long they think they have part ownership of the company. Its nuts, but I do appreciate the feed back. I most likely won't be here much longer. Once spring kicks up again I can start focusing on my hardscaping company the wife and I started.

Wow, someone with some decency. Yeah, I've only picked this part time job up at the time because I was the only one able to work due to certain issues my wife was going through so I just grabbed what job I could. I read through the contract and all that and it just seems like b.s. from what has happened this past year alone. Like I've stated before it's not the job that's hard its dealing with *s and rejection ts who couldn't make it doing anything else so they've been there so long they think they have part ownership of the company. Its nuts, but I do appreciate the feed back. I most likely won't be here much longer. Once spring kicks up again I can start focusing on my hardscaping company the wife and I started.
What's hardscaping?

Rapture

Okay. So you make money. Good for you. You probably work at a busy ass hub or are a full time employee who's allowed to work both the hub and the airport hub. They do t allow part timers to do that. I've been trying since I started.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Okay. So you make money. Good for you. You probably work at a busy ass hub or are a full time employee who's allowed to work both the hub and the airport hub. They do t allow part timers to do that. I've been trying since I started.

Thought you could only work part time because of some unexplained issues your wife has
Which is it Rap you wanna work or not

Rapture

Thought you could only work part time because of some unexplained issues your wife has
Which is it Rap you wanna work or not
??? WTF. Lol why dont you read everything before you open your mouth. I said at the time. Which means past. My family was going through things. The hub I work at, ONLY ALLOWS FULL TIME EMPLOYEES to get they're hours

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
??? WTF. Lol why dont you read everything before you open your mouth. I said at the time. Which means past. My family was going through things. The hub I work at, ONLY ALLOWS FULL TIME EMPLOYEES to get they're hours

You seem a little high strung Rap. It’s the weekend try and relax a bit

jimdandy3

Impeach Hunter Biden
Jealousy is a wasted emotion.

Wasn't talking to you.

Good luck.
And good luck to you. Hope this helps.

542thruNthru

The contract doesn't change because of peak or because there is a pandemic. I'm sorry you didn't get your hero pay. Go ask a waitress or bartender how they are doing.
They are someone who actually cares enough to come here and learn, talk, ask questions. Knock them down all you want to.
Yeah for someone that's been here 10 years you'd think they would know how the pension and healthcare work. Your initiation fees do not go towards that and neither do your monthly dues.

Call them a whiner.... complainer... But don't expect them to care, that retirees pensions and healthcare changes. They may tell them to quit whining and complaining.
You do realize that you may be one of the retirees at some point right? So when it goes away for them it goes away for you.

Absolutely, there are many better jobs out there. Just like there are many jobs that are much worse.

I know many career part timers that love this job. The benefits and pension for a part time job are pretty much unmatched anywhere else. Also as a PT worker it's nearly impossible to be fired.
Good luck. This job isn't for everyone. Oh and before you try and say I don't know what you went through. I did a little over 9 years before I went FT in one of the highest cost of living states in the country.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Slow down what? I’m not running. They just have some routes that go out quite a bit heavier then others, or it’s to help someone new that was in a rental.
On lighter days they refuse to send help to the handful of people that still got screwed by closures/preload/irregular stop counts.
As for OP, you kind of have to pick your battles when a customer is about to get screwed, I already lose lots of time on the tape gun. And I don't trust whoever is hired to do repacks/damages. Just don't be some coorporate-capitalist hotshot. Lazy employees who 'own the company' are our future.