Signature required or not?

Just_another_day_at_work

I do what the barcode tells me to do. That is what the shipper paid for.

Its a bad idea for the driver to take it upon himself to change the service level of a package. Its putting a Band-Aid over the underlying problem of the shipper not correctly labeling their packages.
Few days ago I had about 3 wines to different addresses. The sender sent it as regular parcel not as adult signature req., just put a sticker on the pkgs saying signature req. I think they should get charged for it. I put adult sign. req. And of course I don't DR it.
But I didn't know that we can charge them later on, as over9.5 said. Does it really works?

talkwith

Use your best judgment. This is most definitely a way for shippers to avoid the extra "signature required" costs. I've seen packages with printed labels that also had signature required stickers on them. Obviously, they did not pay for the extra service. Safest way to deal with it is to sheet it up as signature required so that they are charged and your @$$ is covered. If they don't want to pay the extra cost they will stop trying to circumvent it. However, should you choose to DR it you shouldn't be liable for it because they are basically attempting to defraud UPS.

p228

But I didn't know that we can charge them later on, as over9.5 said. Does it really works?

One of the quality clerks told me when QC corrects a package the system bills shipper. It is a small amount, about fifty cents or one dollar. That way they are motivated to not send packages with an incorrect city/state/zip day after day. I'd imagine it is the same with the DIAD.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

DIAD entries are matched to the original bill and corrections are made accordingly. The most common adjustment is when someone is running a business out of their house. The pkg is sent commercial but when we deliver it and DR it is then a residential and an adjustment is made accordingly. Changing the service level in the DIAD will also create a billing adjustment.

bbsam

Staff member
If it makes you feel better, change the service in the DIAD. From my experience, customers often get such things changed back with a quick call to their sales person.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Few days ago I had about 3 wines to different addresses. The sender sent it as regular parcel not as adult signature req., just put a sticker on the pkgs saying signature req. I think they should get charged for it. I put adult sign. req. And of course I don't DR it.

Almost every day I have packages that are almost certainly wine, but that lack an adult sig required barcode.

I leave 'em on the porch. Maybe its wine, maybe its grape juice. Its not my job to guess. Compliance with state and federal laws regarding alcohol shipments are the responsibility of the shipper. Whatever might be in the package is none of my business and not my problem.

over9five

Staff member
Yes, it does work but, as Sober said, it shouldn't be up to the driver to make that decision.

And yet in another thread, you claim it is up to the driver to decide to make a p/u that isn't in the DIAD. Isn't this the same thing? This customer wants a signature, just like that customer wants a Tuesday p/u. Why won't you sevice the customer in this instance?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

And yet in another thread, you claim it is up to the driver to decide to make a p/u that isn't in the DIAD. Isn't this the same thing? This customer wants a signature, just like that customer wants a Tuesday p/u. Why won't you sevice the customer in this instance?

These are not the same (and I think you already know that). I am delivering the pkg at the service level that they paid for. If they want an autograph they need to pay for it. I

The Monday only pickup issue is taking care of the customer.

bumped

I get the signature everytime and change it in my diad. I was told to years ago, so I'm doing it to cover my behind.

over9five

Staff member
The
The Monday only pickup issue is taking care of the customer.

I would think getting a signature that the customer wants is also taking care of the customer. Both customers did things the wrong way. The Monday only customer is obligated to ask for a Tuesday p/u. The signature required customer should enter his package the right way.

You, the service provider can easily take care of both customers, yet you will only provide the proper service to one?

Takes 2 seconds to make the change in the DIAD. It's there for a reason...

EmerCond421

I would think getting a signature that the customer wants is also taking care of the customer. Both customers did things the wrong way. The Monday only customer is obligated to ask for a Tuesday p/u. The signature required customer should enter his package the right way.

You, the service provider can easily take care of both customers, yet you will only provide the proper service to one?

Takes 2 seconds to make the change in the DIAD. It's there for a reason...

But.......if you are told by your sup a signature is a service that has to be paid for and it doesn't show as required when scanned and sup says to DR the package, wouldn't you have to work as directed ?

We have never been told to change the service to a signature required if it wasn't there to begin with.

over9five

Staff member
But.......if you are told by your sup a signature is a service that has to be paid for and it doesn't show as required when scanned and sup says to DR the package, wouldn't you have to work as directed ?

We have never been told to change the service to a signature required if it wasn't there to begin with.

Definitely! Always work as directed. Even if your sup is wrong.

Treegrower

To start you are NOT going to be liable unless it a HV item that you shouldn't have DR in the first place or the address has a No DR status on it. That being sad you you need to take into account the area in which your in and the the type of package. Staples and Office Depot are known for doing this all the time except they put a sticker on the box. There has been alot of good advise from people here. AS I see it there is no correct anwser to your question becasue the circumstances that must be taken into account to make the decision to DR or not vary stop to stop and package too package.

..You are not going to be held LIABLE.... Dude, that is just laughable. Of course you are going to be held liable.

bumped

It wouldn't be in the diad if they didn't want us to use it. Then there's other/other which we are not suppose to use, but is still in the DIAD. :wink2: I think UPS does all this so no matter what we do we are wrong:knockedout: Even if we work as directed most of the sups that directed us have moved on wheather it be relocated, retired, or fired.

AKCoverMan

There was a big wine shipper (Viinese Wharehouse) that was sending all thier wine out wiith a note on the label "Alcoholic Beverages - Do Not Deliver To Intoxicated Persons" but they were not using Adult Sig Reguired barcode numbers. I have no reason to believe they were doing this simply to avoid the small additional charge for that service; they are a huge shipper and it would not surprise me to learn they were using propietary shipping software that was not properly programmed to use the right class of service when it (the shippers software) accesed UPS and created the shipment.

But it was obviosly wine and we all know wine has to be adult signature required. Unless you can't read English it is hard to not know it is alcohol. I reported this to management as I am sure many others did across the network. I did NOT DR these packages.

Can you imagine the fun? UPS DRs the wine. Troubled teenager comes home finds the box of wine and decides its party time. Then decides to drive Dad's spare car somewhere and is involved in a fatal DUI. I can think of about eleven ways that the company and the driver can be in line to be liable. Yes there are good arguments for and against but it is the same thing as having an accident; I'd mucch rather just not be in an acccident rather than be involved in one that is not my fault. If the driver just dosen't DR the wine we don't have to litagate later.

We are not robots we are capable of making judgments. We make hundereds of them everyday we go on road. This is just another one.

Last edited:

UPSGUY72

..You are not going to be held LIABLE.... Dude, that is just laughable. Of course you are going to be held liable.

No you won't shippers put all sorts of crap on there labels instructing us to do things that they don't pay for or service we don't provide. I've seen crap like call a hour before delivery, deliver in morning only, If not deliverable call, etc.

If you DR a package with a bogus sig required request on it and for some reason the people say they didn't get it how is UPS going to know that it was a signature required package??? They are not. Unless the box was clearly a HV item your not liable. It is going to be like any other package that people say they didn't get the address is now going to be a no DR address.

bigbrownhen

I believe this is a case by case basis. The wine I wouldn't leave without a sig, just common sense. As for other items, like high dollar electronics, it depends on the area. Some residential areas are no problem, others it wouldn't last 10 minutes sitting on the porch. I amazes me that some shippers have photos of what is in the box plastered all over it. I have a few customers who have small children, and they get a box with the pic of a toy or something, I'll ask if they want me to sneak it in the garage. More than once they have appreciated the effort because its a gift. It just takes a few extra minutes, but if they arent home, I'll try and put the pic against the wall if possible. These little things are what keep customers with us.

probellringer

i think pills we deliver is worse to leave---lots of these meds are basics...i'd sure feel bad if i left vicodins or percs on a step and little joey had a pill party