so my spouse is now eligible for insurance at her job

brownbrown85

so is everyone just telling the union their spouse isnt eligible for benefits from their job to keep them on the teamsters plan? obviously my wifes insurance is super high priced and not good. can we just contact the union and say hey my wife is getting coverage through her job, but keep the kids on the teamsters plan? anybody hear of anyone getting caught for having spouse/family on teamsters when the spouse's job has plans available?

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Your union healthcare benefits should include your wife and dependents...the Company does contribute weekly into a health and welfare plan per Article 34 (Master), roughly 2000 a month.

I believe that management has to adjust if their spouse is working and has health coverage with a different company.

I am under the Team care plan, most of us got an yearly statement indicating changes. The plan is doing very very well, over 4 billion in assets..cleared 1.5 billion profit last year...500 million on investments.

Last edited:

wilberforce15

so is everyone just telling the union their spouse isnt eligible for benefits from their job to keep them on the teamsters plan? obviously my wifes insurance is super high priced and not good. can we just contact the union and say hey my wife is getting coverage through her job, but keep the kids on the teamsters plan? anybody hear of anyone getting caught for having spouse/family on teamsters when the spouse's job has plans available?
I've never even heard of this problem. My spouse had had insurance available and we've never even been asked if she has a plan available. Coverage for spouse and kids is simply automatic and not contingent on their plans at their work.

brownbrown85

last time i spoke to teamsters they were questioning me pretty firmly on why my wife is on their policy if she is working. assured me that if insurance is available through her employer no matter how expensive or poor it is she has to accept that and i need to remove her from my plan

Unless your state has some awful legislation, it doesn't work that way. Your wife should be able to simply decline her healthcare option and stay on yours.

Some employers will even pay a little more if you turn down their insurance.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
last time i spoke to teamsters they were questioning me pretty firmly on why my wife is on their policy if she is working. assured me that if insurance is available through her employer no matter how expensive or poor it is she has to accept that and i need to remove her from my plan

What local and what plan?

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
I believe the law says that she has to take benefits if they offered at her work place but she can use yours as her secondary coverage. That means that the union insurance would cover most or all of whatever her benefits don't cover. As an example: her benefits pay 50% for a dentist procedure so you would turn in the same claim to your insurance and the other 50% may be paid or 30% if it is covered at 80% in your plan. Most doctor's offices can bill both at the same time to let the 2 companies determine who is paying what. I don't believe she is required to add the kids to her benefits so they (along with her) can stay on your benefits. Don't forget to check with your benefits plan company. There are many plans including Teamcare but some Locals have their own and I believe the west uses Kaiser. When I mention "the law", I'm referring to the affordable care act(ACA ) which people call Obamacare.

I believe the law says that she has to take benefits if they offered at her work place but she can use yours as her secondary coverage. That means that the union insurance would cover most or all of whatever her benefits don't cover. As an example: her benefits pay 50% for a dentist procedure so you would turn in the same claim to your insurance and the other 50% may be paid or 30% if it is covered at 80% in your plan. Most doctor's offices can bill both at the same time to let the 2 companies determine who is paying what. I don't believe she is required to add the kids to her benefits so they (along with her) can stay on your benefits. Don't forget to check with your benefits plan company. There are many plans including Teamcare but some Locals have their own and I believe the west uses Kaiser. When I mention "the law", I'm referring to the affordable care act(ACA ) which people call Obamacare.
Based on your assumption, employers legally could not allow employees to opt out of medical coverage. States may have have some :censored2:ty legislation as such, but the federal government does not.

I am in the west and have Aetna.

Your post is wholly inaccurate.

542thruNthru

Based on your assumption, employers legally could not allow employees to opt out of medical coverage. States may have have some :censored2:ty legislation as such, but the federal government does not.

I am in the west and have Aetna.

Your post is wholly inaccurate.
I'm in the West and have BCBS Arizona.

Aetna is for over weight feeder driver's..

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
Trying to look into this because my spouse and stepson is on my plan. I only noticed one difference in the plan documents since the last time I looked it says grandfathered.

I don't see anything in my plan documents that says my spouse would have to take coverage from her employer if available. The only laws I have seen on this doing quick research allows for insurance companies to require spouses to take insurance when offered but does not force them to do this.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Trying to look into this because my spouse and stepson is on my plan. I only noticed one difference in the plan documents since the last time I looked it says grandfathered.

I don't see anything in my plan documents that says my spouse would have to take coverage from her employer if available. The only laws I have seen on this doing quick research allows for insurance companies to require spouses to take insurance when offered but does not force them to do this.
There was talk about this a while back I believe because UPS forced non union employees' spouses to take other insurance if it was available.