Soccer

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
keepers are awesome! I always thought they were the fat, slow kids...and then I started watching the games and training. Our experience weird thing going is that it seems like parents of keepers always segregate themselves a little bit from other parents especially at particularly tough games. I can't count the number of times I've do everything it and found myself standing next to a parent of the other team's keeper.
When she first started as keeper she used to cry when her team would lose a game, thinking it was her fault.

bbsam

Staff member
How is your son doing with this?
He's doing well, thanks. I have found that it's hard for me to watch at times because the team is so disjointed. It's like a team full of "guest players" not really sure what each other is doing.

On a related note...

I took him to Chicago last weekend to guest play for a Peoria team who's keeper broke a finger. Pardon me, but I think I've become kind of a soccer snob. The team had some decent players but all they played was "long ball". We play "possession" and "build from the backfield". It keeps the keeper far more involved and integrated into the game. This other team, well it became obvious that they leave their keeper on the goal line unless he's punting the ball.

That said, my boy had some terrible miscues, one that cost a goal. From then on, it was obvious he'd lost the trust of his teammates and he seemed to k8nd of partially "check out". He still ended up with some beautiful saves and he was definitely better than any inexperienced kid they would have thrown in goal, but it wasn't the same. Probably good experience but it's nice to be back with his team.

But we were notified that he's an alternate to go play in Ohio with the ODP team so we may be taking a trip out east this summer.

oldngray

nowhere special
Untitled.png

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Another major upset in the EURO.... Wales just beat Belgium 3-1. No one ever expected it. They are going to their first ever major tournament semifinal. The Belgians are stunned.

Last edited:

bbsam

Staff member
Son decided to play high school soccer instead of football.

Not sure what I think about that. Wish he could do both.