Spread of Mexico flu

upsman68

I can tell you this from watching things over the years, the management at my centre will crucify anyone who dares call in sick. I have witnessed management throw phones, break handsets and go into fits of rage when people have called in sick. If the driver still refused to come into work the management would call all day long harassing the driver, when the driver would return to work he would recieve addditional work and increased oversupervision.

So you ask what safety procedures UPS has in place? All I can say to that is don't stand to close to the manager taking a call from a sick employee!!!

Amen. At our center we get a warning letter for calling in sick. They told us two days ago no more request off or option days can be approved. They can not use tcd's to cover option days.

I have option 3 and I have no idea how to use these days now. Any suggestions?

DS

Fenderbender
I am on vaca this week.my buddy just got back from mexico and says hes kinda sick..I wont be going to visit him ...

rod

Retired 22 years
Everyone that I know that has ever visited Mexico (myself include) has came back at least a little sick.:happy2: Its either the water, food, alcohol or women ( or a combination of any of then) but one thing is for certain- if you enjoyed yourself in Mexico you are going to be sick for awhile upon returning

Amen. At our center we get a warning letter for calling in sick. They told us two days ago no more request off or option days can be approved. They can not use tcd's to cover option days.

I have option 3 and I have no idea how to use these days now. Any suggestions?
What reason did they give for not approving option days? What contract supplement are you under? I don't remember any changes in how TCDs can be used, but originally they could only be used for illness/worker comp coverage but the company never paid any attention to that before. You should have plenty of unassigned full timers to cover options and vacations (which are basically the same as far as coverage). I'm pretty sure they can not discipline for using your option days as sick leave, those days are guraunteed in the contract. At least till you run out of option days that is.

satellitedriver

In all your wisdom, you may want to goggle the word "syndrome".

"Syndrome" can roughly be defined as "....a cluster of symptoms".

It doesn't matter how you got it. A syndrome is a syndrome.

Have you considered that maybe I know someone that has been stricken with GBS? Do you?
1Trick,
Thanks for clarifying the point that a syndrome is not a causal effect due directly to vaccinations, which is contrary to the intent of your original post.
It does matter when one (ie; you) makes a blanket warning about the dangers of vaccinations.
I never considered that you know someone that had a syndrome that could be pin-pointed to any vaccination. Since the National Institute of Health has never been able to make a correlation between vaccines and GBS, maybe you should share your wisdom with them.
Upon reflection,
I know one person with GBS.
Gas Bag Syndrome.

trickpony1

1Trick,
Thanks for clarifying the point that a syndrome is not a causal effect due directly to vaccinations, which is contrary to the intent of your original post.
It does matter when one (ie; you) makes a blanket warning about the dangers of vaccinations.
I never considered that you know someone that had a syndrome that could be pin-pointed to any vaccination. Since the National Institute of Health has never been able to make a correlation between vaccines and GBS, maybe you should share your wisdom with them.
Upon reflection,
Gas Bag Syndrome.

You may want to read your post number 64 again. I believe you quoted NINDS which stated, in part, that vaccines can trigger GBS.
I hope someday to be as smart as you. It must be magnificent.
I also hope someday you contract Guillian-Barre Syndrome. When you do let me know. I want to watch.

Maybe then you won't be so smart.

blue efficacy

Let me explain why 40 cases is a big deal.

Swine flu isn't the same as your standard flu. Our immune systems cannot fight it off as well. This increases the likelihood of pandemic by a large degree.

But this thread proves lots of people here form their opinions without facts.

It's all a liberal conspiracy, after all. How can it not be?

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer

Swine flu isn't the same as your standard flu. Our immune systems cannot fight it off as well. This increases the likelihood of pandemic by a large degree.

I want to clarify - My comments were based SOLELY on facts.

I do not have an opinion on the political aspect of the Flu, the motive behind its' coverage.

If one of my relatives caught it, I'd be scared. Heck, I had the sniffles yesterday and almost panicked.

But statistically, using numbers (which is as factual as I can get) 40 cases, for all intents and purposes, is nothing. 4,000 cases would not be a statistical blip.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
...I hope someday to be as smart as you. It must be magnificent. I also hope someday you contract Guillian-Barre Syndrome. When you do let me know. I want to watch.

That was kind of harsh, don't you think? I'll admit, I'm put off by satellitedriver's attitude as well, but that was simply uncalled for on your part. Shame on you.

SmithBarney

Right, Opinions without Facts, just like your post.
Wrong, you too are a victim of the Fear Mongering Press.

Take a look around the CDC site start with this page.
http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/swineflu_you.htm

Swine Flu is Just as Dangerous as Human Flu, True there isn't a vaccine(yet)
but Human Flu Vaccines aren't always correct either.

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs

Shouldn't we be calling this a Ham-demic.

blue efficacy

I want to clarify - My comments were based SOLELY on facts.

I do not have an opinion on the political aspect of the Flu, the motive behind its' coverage.

If one of my relatives caught it, I'd be scared. Heck, I had the sniffles yesterday and almost panicked.

But statistically, using numbers (which is as factual as I can get) 40 cases, for all intents and purposes, is nothing. 4,000 cases would not be a statistical blip.
You make valid points, yes. 40 people isn't very many.

However, the thing is, when you're dealing with a disease the human immune system isn't adapted to, 40 can become 4,000 which can become 4 million relatively quickly.

Part of me agrees that the media is blowing it out of proportion. But another part of me also believes that we need to be kept informed on this, so that we can all be prepared to do what is necessary to keep this thing under control if the crap hits the fan.

Historically, flu pandemics have caused extreme loss of life. Like President Obama says, we shouldn't be alarmed, but we should be concerned.

And to all the xenophobes advocating border closure, you do realize that the cases in New York were spread by AMERICAN kids on spring break. If we are going to seal the borders, we must also ban Americans from visiting Mexico.

LOL @ ham-demic comment.

P

pickup

1Trick,
Upon reflection,
Gas Bag Syndrome.

Plus, the friend.D.A. approves these vaccines, and we know that the friend.D.A would never put corporate interests ahead of public safety.

satellitedriver

You may want to read your post number 64 again. I believe you quoted NINDS which stated, in part, that vaccines can trigger GBS.
This is the direct quote from the National Institute of Health that I quoted in my post#64;

"Guillain-Barré syndrome is rare. Usually Guillain-Barré occurs a few days or weeks after the patient has had symptoms of a respiratory or gastrointestinal viral infection. Occasionally, surgery or vaccinations will trigger the syndrome."
If you read the entire paragraph, you might get the point I was making.
It is a rare syndrome that can be brought on by many different sources and can not be singled out as being caused by any single event.
I hope someday to be as smart as you. It must be magnificent.
I am not smart, just experienced.
I also hope someday you contract Guillian-Barre Syndrome. When you do let me know. I want to watch.
You will be the first I call ,but you might have a long wait.
The odds of getting GBS from a flu vaccine are one case per million and 70% affected recover with treatment in a short time frame.
Maybe you should have hoped I got struck by lightning this year and the odds would be more in your favor. Odds of that happening are only 1 in 400,000.
Better yet,
have me drown in my bath tub. The odds of that happening in my life time is only 1 in 10,499.

1Trick,
I truly feel for the one you know that was afflicted by GBS.
Your negative warning about vaccinations is just another example of your negativity.
Vaccination benefits out weigh the negatives, by far,
You wish ill upon me, I wish no ill to you.
In my "smartness", I know you harm yourself more than anything I could wish upon you.