Starting pay UPS vs Fedex

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
It amazes me how many people say you can't survive on $9.50 an hour. IT'S A PART TIME JOB! I couldn't survive on a part time job paying $30 an hour. Part time jobs are stepping stones, not careers.

wrenny

Stay at UPS. At Fed Ex and Ground, they try to keep you at or under 25 hours. It's quite easy for them to do it. They send the Package Handlers home and have managers finish the work. There is no minimum 3 hour work rule at Fed Ex. You will make the same, if not more at UPS. I have never once paid overtime at Fed Ex...ever!! You would make more at UPS at $9.00 and work 20-25 hours than $10.50 at Fed Ex. And lets not even get into paying for Holidays, Personal, Sick or Vacation. You only get paid for the days that you work at Fed Ex. That's almost $800.00 a year right there, and you get time off. No one can afford to go to the doctor at Fed Ex. There are no health benefits. All you get is a salary. You'll end up losing money by making $10.50 with no days off. Each time you take time off, you lose money. So that $800.00 actually turns out to be $1200.00 when you add the time that guys take off and don't get paid for. Top it off with no over time, managers sending people home and doing the work, etc. Did I mention that
YOU DO NOT GET PAID FOR HOLIDAYS??? So with each holiday you have off, you actually lose money. No extra double time for Election Day - they still pay that way? So now you're up to about a loss of $1500.00 MINIMUM loss. (And there's no way that Union dues cost you that much). And not to mention more Tuition Reimbursement at UPS. The average Package Handler lasts less than a year at Fed Ex. They have 310% Turnover Rate over a 3 month period. That's what happens when there are no vacation days, paid time off, etc. No one lasts long enough. To make matters worse, everyone has to do the person who just quit's job, until the manager can find someone.
I have never met anyone at Fed Ex that didn't want to go to UPS. The only people from UPS I ever saw were people who only worked at UPS for 2-3 weeks and got fired from UPS. No one in their right mind would want to work at Fed Ex over UPS. The managers are nicer because they're not paying you enough to keep you. $10.50 is not a lot of money when you get NOTHING ELSE.

F

FDX EX Courier

Stay at UPS. At Fed Ex and Ground, they try to keep you at or under 25 hours. It's quite easy for them to do it. They send the Package Handlers home and have managers finish the work. There is no minimum 3 hour work rule at Fed Ex. You will make the same, if not more at UPS. I have never once paid overtime at Fed Ex...ever!! You would make more at UPS at $9.00 and work 20-25 hours than $10.50 at Fed Ex. And lets not even get into paying for Holidays, Personal, Sick or Vacation. You only get paid for the days that you work at Fed Ex. That's almost $800.00 a year right there, and you get time off. No one can afford to go to the doctor at Fed Ex. There are no health benefits. All you get is a salary. You'll end up losing money by making $10.50 with no days off. Each time you take time off, you lose money. So that $800.00 actually turns out to be $1200.00 when you add the time that guys take off and don't get paid for. Top it off with no over time, managers sending people home and doing the work, etc. Did I mention that
YOU DO NOT GET PAID FOR HOLIDAYS??? So with each holiday you have off, you actually lose money. No extra double time for Election Day - they still pay that way? So now you're up to about a loss of $1500.00 MINIMUM loss. (And there's no way that Union dues cost you that much). And not to mention more Tuition Reimbursement at UPS. The average Package Handler lasts less than a year at Fed Ex. They have 310% Turnover Rate over a 3 month period. That's what happens when there are no vacation days, paid time off, etc. No one lasts long enough. To make matters worse, everyone has to do the person who just quit's job, until the manager can find someone.
I have never met anyone at Fed Ex that didn't want to go to UPS. The only people from UPS I ever saw were people who only worked at UPS for 2-3 weeks and got fired from UPS. No one in their right mind would want to work at Fed Ex over UPS. The managers are nicer because they're not paying you enough to keep you. $10.50 is not a lot of money when you get NOTHING ELSE.

Sir/Ma'am,

I've been working at FedEx Part Time for nine months now and I can tell you that when I came on I was extremely surprised to find out that we get paid vacation, unlimited paid sick days (doctors note required after 3 consecutive days and temporary disability after a week consecutive). During this past Christmas I found myself go overtime twice and FedEx paid me no problem no questions asked.

The only thing that sucks is that Paid Vacation/Sick/Holiday Pay on Part Time assumes 4 hours a day of work (well I try my hardest to work 30 hour weeks - which management seems to have no problem with), so I'm getting porked, but full time assumes 8 hour days. We also get paid for up to 5 unused sick days a year.

If you're referring to FedEx Ground or another FedEx branch please say so. With FedEx ground I believe holiday pay depends completely on the contractor you work for (or if you are the contractor if you budgeted Sick/Holiday pay for yourself).

I don't know how much handlers get paid, but I started as a part time driver at $15.91 /hr.

I've loved working for FedEx so far, and am hoping to move into Corporate after school.

Overpaid Union Thug

It amazes me how many people say you can't survive on $9.50 an hour. IT'S A PART TIME JOB! I couldn't survive on a part time job paying $30 an hour. Part time jobs are stepping stones, not careers.

You are right about $9.50/hour but wrong about $30/hr. I've met plenty of people at UPS that are surviving on less than $30/hr part-time so I know it can be done. Especially if the spouse works too. $30/hr part-time would actually be pretty good. Especially in a hub because its easier to get more than 4 hours of work each night. If someone can't survive on $600+ hours/week then they are either really bad with money, or they had too many kids, or their ex-wife/husband took them to the cleaners. In either of those cases another part-time job would help. I'm glad I'm full-time but I wasn't doing so bad financially while I was part-time. It's all about how you handle money.

jchisolm2

CURRENT PAY RATE 11.00 TAXES - REGULAR 23.96 32.00 766.72 FICA 61.64 250.49 - OVERTIME 35.94 6.33 227.50 FICA MEDICARE 14.41 58.58 - TOTAL HOURS WORKED 38.33 FEDERAL TAX 80.82 264.45 - CURRENT TOTALS 994.22 TOTALS 156.87 - Y-T-D TOTALS 196.48 4,040.19 - VAC 40.00 H OPD 0.00 D
This is a example of a pay check stub for a cover driver with UPS for one week The current pay rate of $11.00 is if i were to work preload

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
They will hire you right off the street as a courier in most areas...starting pay is usually around $15.00 per hour and may be more or less depending on the market level for the area. It will take you about 10 years to reach top wage, which is around $25 per hour in the big markets (LA, SF, NYC etc). Not an easy job, and you'll be pretty stressed, especially while training. UPS is a better deal, but it's much harder to get hired. UPS involves more physical labor and stops, but your route area will be much smaller.You probably will have to spend a few years as a loader in one of their hubs or centers. FedEx will probably be instituting a hiring freeze soon due to the recession and impact of sky high fuel prices. Good luck!

BabyBrowns0315

there are many benefits to working at UPS like a few mentioned the benefits, the tuition assistance, and even the union. Going to fedex without a union you're not guaranteed any specific number of hours where as with the union at least around here you're guaranteed 3 1/2 hours a day as long as you show up on time for work. and thats just the start of the many benefits at working for UPS vs. FedEx

BabyBrowns0315

absolutely. there are so many opportunities within UPS. they hire within so if you are interested become a supervisor or just move within the company to a higher position. you'd of course have to be good at your current job and show that you could be and effective supervisor, etc.

Fedex1961

well,the way you say is that FedEx is NOT a company to work for it....let me tell you some thing about FedEx! I am working for FedEx for 15 years and i am very proud of it!!! all those nonsense stuff you saying is all NONSENSE!!!FedEx does pay your holidays FedEx does pay your sick days FedEx does pay your OVERTIME hours!!!and yes FedEx does have a am and pm shift for those same handlers that worked .you can work in the am then go to school or home etc.than come back in the pm and work in the pm load...that's a 6-7 hours for as a PAR TIME!!
and NOT to MENTION that if you work on your DAY OFF that's a OVER TIME and you get paid time and a half!!!hey not bad for a student that leaves at home and making a $ 450-500 and if they want to move up they can allways apply for a Driver position after they 21st birthday and clean driving record and don't have to work 10 years to become a driver like UPS does!!!
oh and little bit about me...i had a 2 work related injury within this 15 years..and guess what FedEx paid every little penny on my injury related payments( my pay check,doctor bill,surgery,hospital etc) i was on disability for 2.5 year from my 2nd injury..and guess what after i came back from disability i still got my old route..now i am wondering with out Union will UPS still keep you and give you your old route after 2.5 years of disability.DONT THINK SO!!
you say you never get paid overtime at FedEx...tell me something that for those who read your post believes!!!I am guessing FedEx let you go because either you did something against the company policies or you were just a collecting a pay check and don't want to work..( remember FedEx has no layoff policies )and that's with out the Union!!
anyway i just want to make some correction on your post about FedEx,and I wish you the best at UPS..if you still working there..

Fedex1961

I'm looking for some info on pt UPS vs pt FEDEX. I'm currently a sorter working twilight shift at UPS, I've been there about 3 months. I do it as a pt job, just to make some extra money and for the benefits, I already have a FT job. A friend of mine who works for fedex has been telling me to apply there for months. He is a PT material handler at Newark Airport here in Jersey, He has been there 2 years and makes about $15.00 an hour. I started at $9.50 and have just recieved a raise to $10. From the looks of our new contract, I would have to work about 7 years to earn what my friend makes at FEDEX after just 2. Not to mention that $310 union fee I'm still paying off! I'm going to interview with FEDEX on Monday. Can any anyone give me some idea of what life is like working PT at FEDEX???

You'll be glad to did that!!! trust me .

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
well,the way you say is that FedEx is NOT a company to work for it....let me tell you some thing about FedEx! I am working for FedEx for 15 years and i am very proud of it!!! all those nonsense stuff you saying is all NONSENSE!!!FedEx does pay your holidays FedEx does pay your sick days FedEx does pay your OVERTIME hours!!!and yes FedEx does have a am and pm shift for those same handlers that worked .you can work in the am then go to school or home etc.than come back in the pm and work in the pm load...that's a 6-7 hours for as a PAR TIME!!
and NOT to MENTION that if you work on your DAY OFF that's a OVER TIME and you get paid time and a half!!!hey not bad for a student that leaves at home and making a $ 450-500 and if they want to move up they can allways apply for a Driver position after they 21st birthday and clean driving record and don't have to work 10 years to become a driver like UPS does!!!
oh and little bit about me...i had a 2 work related injury within this 15 years..and guess what FedEx paid every little penny on my injury related payments( my pay check,doctor bill,surgery,hospital etc) i was on disability for 2.5 year from my 2nd injury..and guess what after i came back from disability i still got my old route..now i am wondering with out Union will UPS still keep you and give you your old route after 2.5 years of disability.DONT THINK SO!!
you say you never get paid overtime at FedEx...tell me something that for those who read your post believes!!!I am guessing FedEx let you go because either you did something against the company policies or you were just a collecting a pay check and don't want to work..( remember FedEx has no layoff policies )and that's with out the Union!!
anyway i just want to make some correction on your post about FedEx,and I wish you the best at UPS..if you still working there..

If you just want supplemental income and you already have a FT job, FedEx might be a better choice for someone who wanted to remain a handler. In terms of a career, UPS is a far better choice. A real pension, top of the wage scale in 3 years, and MUCH higher pay make waiting a few years to get into a package car position worth it. FedEx has become an extremely poor choice for a full-time career.

FedEx2000

They will hire you right off the street as a courier in most areas...starting pay is usually around $15.00 per hour and may be more or less depending on the market level for the area. It will take you about 10 years to reach top wage, which is around $25 per hour in the big markets (LA, SF, NYC etc). Not an easy job, and you'll be pretty stressed, especially while training. UPS is a better deal, but it's much harder to get hired. UPS involves more physical labor and stops, but your route area will be much smaller.You probably will have to spend a few years as a loader in one of their hubs or centers. FedEx will probably be instituting a hiring freeze soon due to the recession and impact of sky high fuel prices. Good luck!

I just happened across this post and thought it was funny seeing MrFedEx say that we top out in about 10 years........quite different from his tone now, but this was 2 years ago, prior to the no raise and 2.2% max we've had the last 2 years.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I just happened across this post and thought it was funny seeing MrFedEx say that we top out in about 10 years........quite different from his tone now, but this was 2 years ago, prior to the no raise and 2.2% max we've had the last 2 years.

Yep, I made a mistake...should be more like 20 years to top-out now. Most people won't ever stick around that long anyway, and judging from the new hires I've seen recently, Fred is getting exactly what he is willing to pay for. These people won't be doing much in terms of delivering the Purple Promise.

FedEx2000

Yep, I made a mistake...should be more like 20 years to top-out now. Most people won't ever stick around that long anyway, and judging from the new hires I've seen recently, Fred is getting exactly what he is willing to pay for. These people won't be doing much in terms of delivering the Purple Promise.

I disagree about the new hires, the ones we have been hiring are doing very well actually....at least the majority have been.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.

Hey guys,
I realize this is a first post by me but, I've been reading a lot of these threads. I'm a 4 yr. FT courier for Express and I just confirmed with my HR person the other day that I'll never top out, ever. Think about it, when the topped out people get their raise (2.2% or, whatever), you get a raise of up to that amount but, it's based on your (always lower) rate.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Hey guys,
I realize this is a first post by me but, I've been reading a lot of these threads. I'm a 4 yr. FT courier for Express and I just confirmed with my HR person the other day that I'll never top out, ever. Think about it, when the topped out people get their raise (2.2% or, whatever), you get a raise of up to that amount but, it's based on your (always lower) rate.

Bingo!! Give that man a giant stuffed animal. Another person learns how the scam works.

FedEx2000

Not around here. It isn't uncommon to have 3 or 4 people rescuing them every day.

I think you need to have someone else training the new hires there then. Whoever the accomplished courier coach is obviously isn't doing what they are supposed to.....as well as the mgr etc. They can't all be too dense to pick it up, they just aren't getting the proper support.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I think you need to have someone else training the new hires there then. Whoever the accomplished courier coach is obviously isn't doing what they are supposed to.....as well as the mgr etc. They can't all be too dense to pick it up, they just aren't getting the proper support.

Probably, but when you send someone brand-new out on a heavy route and they're only averaging about 5 stops per hour...something is really wrong. The dispatcher saw an issue early and tried to get several managers to actually do their job, to no avail. Major rescue operation at 1600 with missed and late pickups and Code1's. That's no support at all. Think this new courier will survive?