Starting pay UPS vs Fedex

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You can read between whatever lines you want. I still don't see where he said it was ok to take 20 years to top out. MOST managers were couriers at some point and can see the point that it takes to long to top out. So, until he comes right out and says '20 years is a perfectly good length of time to take to top out', I'll take his words for what he says, not what you think he means.

To MFE: NYC school teachers take 22 years to top out.

I would guess that an NYC school teacher makes serious money after 22 years...we don't. There's also something called an "industry standard", and I cannot think of another major transporation company that screws it's people the same way FedEx does on wage progression. It is a scam to save FedEx huge money, plain and simple, and here you are apologizing for it.

FedEx 2000 doesn't seem to have an issue with top-out times, and neither do you.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Teachers in NYC are given an incentive to teach there, which includes payment of their student loans. They are also given a complimentary flak jacket and personal body guard.

LTFedExer

I would guess that an NYC school teacher makes serious money after 22 years...we don't. There's also something called an "industry standard", and I cannot think of another major transporation company that screws it's people the same way FedEx does on wage progression. It is a scam to save FedEx huge money, plain and simple, and here you are apologizing for it.

FedEx 2000 doesn't seem to have an issue with top-out times, and neither do you.
1. They CAN top out at about $100,000 assuming they did all they coursework and maximum experience. I used to know a school principle and he told me there are VERY VERY few that reach that amount, which is why he became a principle.

2. How much do DHL drivers top out at and how long does it take to get there?

3. Where did I say I didn't have a problem with how long it takes to top out?

4. How is your company doing? I would love to come work for you, if you'll have me. Sounds like you have the perfect company.

FedEx2000

Now you are definitely reading what you want to see. I have never said that I am OK with a 20 yr or never top-out, whichever comes first. I think that it is one of the biggest issues we have as a company. The tough part is how to define a "mid-range" employee. For example: If FedEx says ok, everyone who has been here more than 5 years is going to be topped out, we are going to get sued by everyone who has been here 2-4 years saying why not me too? I'm not going to say that there aren't 3 year employees that don't deserve it, but if I was a 10+ year employee, I would be pissed if a 3 year employee all of a sudden was making as much as me. So, to make it crystal clear so that you don't have to read between the lines: I am not OK with a 20 year top-out, I think it should be in the 7-10 year range. At that point you have brought enough value to the company to justify it.....3 years is too soon IMO.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Now you are definitely reading what you want to see. I have never said that I am OK with a 20 yr or never top-out, whichever comes first. I think that it is one of the biggest issues we have as a company. The tough part is how to define a "mid-range" employee. For example: If FedEx says ok, everyone who has been here more than 5 years is going to be topped out, we are going to get sued by everyone who has been here 2-4 years saying why not me too? I'm not going to say that there aren't 3 year employees that don't deserve it, but if I was a 10+ year employee, I would be pissed if a 3 year employee all of a sudden was making as much as me. So, to make it crystal clear so that you don't have to read between the lines: I am not OK with a 20 year top-out, I think it should be in the 7-10 year range. At that point you have brought enough value to the company to justify it.....3 years is too soon IMO.

3 years would be just fine. But I also see your point about trying to define a "mid-range" employee, and since FedEx created this scenario, it's up to them to figure it out. It's too bad they went in this direction in the first place, which is going to prove very stupid in hindsight. IMO, they deserve a few lawsuits for using our inability to do anything but accept such policy directives.

Admit it, it's just a strategy to save money.

vantexan

I don't see lawsuits. I see alot of people relieved that they are finally topped out or will be in a few years. Finally getting rewarded for their efforts. 3 years would be great, but at this point 15 years will do as long as they stick to their word and do it. I wonder how it must feel to know that 10's of thousands of people think these guys in Memphis are dishonest and unfair(and worse). It would sure bother me if I was one of them.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I don't see lawsuits. I see alot of people relieved that they are finally topped out or will be in a few years. Finally getting rewarded for their efforts. 3 years would be great, but at this point 15 years will do as long as they stick to their word and do it. I wonder how it must feel to know that 10's of thousands of people think these guys in Memphis are dishonest and unfair(and worse). It would sure bother me if I was one of them.

I have absolutely no confidence that FedEx will do the right thing. What I do expect is something in the 10-15 year range as you suggested, which is still ridiculous, and unacceptable. The only way to ever get a square deal is to have a contract that specifies exactly what the rules are. If they do step-up wage progression, it's going to be the absolute minimum amount they can get away with, which would be totally consistent with the way they deal with labor.

vantexan

I have absolutely no confidence that FedEx will do the right thing. What I do expect is something in the 10-15 year range as you suggested, which is still ridiculous, and unacceptable. The only way to ever get a square deal is to have a contract that specifies exactly what the rules are. If they do step-up wage progression, it's going to be the absolute minimum amount they can get away with, which would be totally consistent with the way they deal with labor.

No doubt you are right. Trick is getting that contract. At this point I'm likely to take about anything. The only way I see them actually improving top-out time is if they are truly losing too many people due to their policies. Might happen with improving economy but so far they seem bent on attracting newhires with higher starting pay. The rest of us don't seem to be a priority.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Soooooooooooooo, today I'm running my regular route (at straight time pay) as usual; and run into a UPS guy that I've never seen before. He's asking me about some delivery locations so, I help him out and tell him where he needs to go. Then, I ask, so........what are you on? like triple time? Nope, double time and a half. Must be nice.

Who else here (has to) work tomorrow (Sat.) because of this Amazon thing? I'm covering two cities.

FedExer267

Ya I ran into the UPS guy too. Paid for the holiday time in a half for the hours worked yesterday and all the were delivering was NDA and 2DA. Mean while we were out there with full trucks and more than half of our business closed. I cant imagine that it is lucrative for Ground to run the day after Thanksgiving. But on the upside I worked 3.5 hours and did get paid for 8.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
right idea cactus. I am not working Monday so I can go to a interview for a real Job. You know the type with benefits and OT. LOL

Just don't interview with FedEx Express, OK,? Good luck on your job hunt. I think you're representative of most Ground drivers who will jump ship at first opportunity. Even the Republicans are conceding that the economy is improving, so you'll have lots of company. Hope the contractors are good at delivering packages and covering routes without drivers.

FedExer267

No not FedEx Express. I fill for you guys I know the whole RLA thing is bogus its just to bad everyone else dosen't see how one company sticks it to their employees with the RLA and Independent Contractor scheme.
Yes there are alot of guys in my building job hunting as well and if we are there thru peak we already have a plan that won't make Ground to happy. We are actually going to work safe because thats what we are instructed to do. Take breaks and lunches and if the stuff dosen't get delivered oh well there is just not enough time in the day. When they kick over 40 extra stops from Home Delivery we will do those stops after we run our normal route which means we will double are mileage because we will be covering 5 zipcodes twice which will cost more in fuel. If they want it delivered they can get us help. I am all for helping if I would get compensated for it but we all know thats not the case with Ground.
It will be nice to see contractors try and cover their routes as we all start to jump ship. With the new guidelines Ground has in wanting professional drivers, ya good luck with that. Professional drivers want real jobs