Starting pay UPS vs Fedex

vantexan

We recently had a courier return after being gone for more than a year. She still has other job working for TSA at airport but as it doesn't pay as much as she thought, she's back as evening pup part-timer. I asked her if she took a hit on pay since she's been gone over a year. Nope, she actually got a raise as FedEx had raised starting pay.

I'm glad for her, she's a great girl. But it really hit me in the gut. I left in 1997 at $13.50hr, hired back 16 months later at $10.85hr. And that was after almost 3 month hiring process. They keep raising starting pay to be "competitive" but are leaving the rest behind. This is ridiculous.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
We recently had a courier return after being gone for more than a year. She still has other job working for TSA at airport but as it doesn't pay as much as she thought, she's back as evening pup part-timer. I asked her if she took a hit on pay since she's been gone over a year. Nope, she actually got a raise as FedEx had raised starting pay.

I'm glad for her, she's a great girl. But it really hit me in the gut. I left in 1997 at $13.50hr, hired back 16 months later at $10.85hr. And that was after almost 3 month hiring process. They keep raising starting pay to be "competitive" but are leaving the rest behind. This is ridiculous.

It is ridiculous. It happens to managers too, when they bump the starting compensation package. One excellent manager I know was making just $100 more per week than a new worthless manager who never should have got the job. The experienced manager still carries the water for the new guy over a year later, who remains completely worthless. Fair? No.

vantexan

It is ridiculous. It happens to managers too, when they bump the starting compensation package. One excellent manager I know was making just $100 more per week than a new worthless manager who never should have got the job. The experienced manager still carries the water for the new guy over a year later, who remains completely worthless. Fair? No.

I wonder just how much longer their "system" can go before the company implodes?

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I left in 1997 at $13.50hr, hired back 16 months later at $10.85hr. And that was after almost 3 month hiring process. They keep raising starting pay to be "competitive" but are leaving the rest behind. This is ridiculous.

Yup.
I've been on board 4 yrs. never late, never called in sick, hit all my numbers and then some, got a 7 on my last 2 reviews (hence the screen name) and I'm only making ~$.60 /hr. more than some guys we hired off the street a few months ago.

I'm definitely not sticking around. I'm surprised so many people are ok with it. Maybe I can sell that stuffed animal on ebay?

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Well,
Here's something I just heard tonight. Supposedly, X knows they're losing people due to the "you'll never top-out" plan and there is supposedly a plan to make it so that people actually can top out at some point. Anyone heard of this? Supposedly my Sr. manager mentioned it to a fellow CRR a few months ago.

vantexan

Well,
Here's something I just heard tonight. Supposedly, X knows they're losing people due to the "you'll never top-out" plan and there is supposedly a plan to make it so that people actually can top out at some point. Anyone heard of this? Supposedly my Sr. manager mentioned it to a fellow CRR a few months ago.

Believe it when I see it. Was told something similar by mgr in 2003. It's their responsibility to keep us at it even if means dangling a carrot on a stick. But hey, no one happier than me if true.

FedExer267

Ofcourse they are saying that now its almost Peak and the last thing they want is to have to train new hires during peak. I am sure their tune will change after peak. As vantexan said dangling a carrot on as stick. I would not bet on it

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Well,

I just saw this same rumor on another thread. I've heard nothing about it, but unless they want to keep losing good people, they'd better come-up with a better plan than what they've got now. Perhaps upper management has finally seen the light, or maybe they're just floating a trial balloon. My guess is that they won't be offering much and that they'll try and sell-it as being something great that really isn't. Please prove me wrong and start topping-out people in 3 years like the rest of the world.

FedEx2000

I just saw this same rumor on another thread. I've heard nothing about it, but unless they want to keep losing good people, they'd better come-up with a better plan than what they've got now. Perhaps upper management has finally seen the light, or maybe they're just floating a trial balloon. My guess is that they won't be offering much and that they'll try and sell-it as being something great that really isn't. Please prove me wrong and start topping-out people in 3 years like the rest of the world.

By "rest of the world" you must mean UPS, b/c it's not a very common practice to top out in 3 yrs anywhere else that I am aware of. Any other examples you know of?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
By "rest of the world" you must mean UPS, b/c it's not a very common practice to top out in 3 yrs anywhere else that I am aware of. Any other examples you know of?

Yes, practically every union company in existence. Your superior attitude sounds just like that of the asshats in MEM. Like I said, they'll probably invent a 10-year top-out or some other joke plan.

vantexan

Yes, practically every union company in existence. Your superior attitude sounds just like that of the asshats in MEM. Like I said, they'll probably invent a 10-year top-out or some other joke plan.

10 years? Sold! Funny that such a rumor comes out during the last gasp lame duck Congress that just might push the Express Employees Relief Act through.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
10 years? Sold! Funny that such a rumor comes out during the last gasp lame duck Congress that just might push the Express Employees Relief Act through.

Coincidence? I think not. Notice that Fred is still running his lame Brownbailout crap? There's a reason.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I'm with you guys. I won't believe anything until I see it on my check stub.
Otherwise, I'm giving myself one more year at this place then, I'm gone. Just want to have a good track record before I move on.

FedEx2000

My superior attitude? Wow, you really do take what you want to see in a comment and run with it. It was a simple question as i am not aware of many places, other than UPS, that top out in 3 years. (Oh, and that is only for FT drivers, screw everybody else). I wasn't aware that almost all unions had the same agreement, thought they all had their own contracts....but if you say it is so, I believe you.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
My superior attitude? Wow, you really do take what you want to see in a comment and run with it. It was a simple question as i am not aware of many places, other than UPS, that top out in 3 years. (Oh, and that is only for FT drivers, screw everybody else). I wasn't aware that almost all unions had the same agreement, thought they all had their own contracts....but if you say it is so, I believe you.

What I saw in your comment is that you don't seem to have a problem with 20 year top-outs. Let me toss the ball back to you. How many companies can you name where it takes 20 years to reach the top of the wage scale? I would guess that even WalMart doesn't take that long.

vantexan

What I saw in your comment is that you don't seem to have a problem with 20 year top-outs....
And most companies don't make the demands on their employees FedEx does. The ones who do, like UPS, recognize that to keep quality people you've got to pay them. FedEx seems to be saying yes, you hump more than most, make sacrifices of your personal time, have to be extremely flexible due to constant changes due to weather, sickcalls, etc and so what? We expect you to settle for less and still jump through all the hoops. You're lucky to work here!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
And most companies don't make the demands on their employees FedEx does. The ones who do, like UPS, recognize that to keep quality people you've got to pay them. FedEx seems to be saying yes, you hump more than most, make sacrifices of your personal time, have to be extremely flexible due to constant changes due to weather, sickcalls, etc and so what? We expect you to settle for less and still jump through all the hoops. You're lucky to work here!

Exactly. Fred wants to have his cake and eat it too, all while paying substandard wages and benefits.

LTFedExer

What I saw in your comment is that you don't seem to have a problem with 20 year top-outs
There's his comment. Where do you see he doesn't have a problem with 20 year top outs? Plus, you never did answer his question.
Let me toss the ball back to you. How many companies can you name where it takes 20 years to reach the top of the wage scale? I would guess that even WalMart doesn't take that long.
Many companies don't have a 'top out' amount.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
There's his comment. Where do you see he doesn't have a problem with 20 year top outs? Plus, you never did answer his question.

Many companies don't have a 'top out' amount.

Read between the lines. That's the impression I got.

As far as top outs go in the transportation industry it's more than common.

LTFedExer

Read between the lines. That's the impression I got.

As far as top outs go in the transportation industry it's more than common.
You can read between whatever lines you want. I still don't see where he said it was ok to take 20 years to top out. MOST managers were couriers at some point and can see the point that it takes to long to top out. So, until he comes right out and says '20 years is a perfectly good length of time to take to top out', I'll take his words for what he says, not what you think he means.

To MFE: NYC school teachers take 22 years to top out.