Strike 2023

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Not sure if this is possible but a COLA raise in pension would be aces. My social security goes up every year and they are expecting a $200 increase in 2023. Before you know it SS check will surpass the pension which is fixed.
My pension fund gave us a bonus check this year. Have heard that they're going to do so more often if the fund stays in good shape.

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member
The Teamsters saw a way to triple their income by using 3 PT sorts instead of an 8 hour sort since Union dues are based on hourly rate and originally PT were paid the same wages as FT. Along with the steady turnover.

It seems like the days of becoming a full time inside worker are over. I rarely see any bids posted for combos at my hub. I know few guys already driving and only been here a year or two.

542thruNthru

That sounds diabolical. I need an expert opinion. @542thruNthru ?
giphy-136.gif

What'dyabringmetoday???

Companies have always found a way around the unions trying to get too much.
Look what UPS did about 15-20 years ago. It was cost effective to work 2 drivers 60 hours a week rather than hire 3 drivers for 40 hours.
A district manager told me this when I told her we were all maxed out in hours week after week. That is why I bid a 11 hour feeder run rather than the 8-9 hour feeder runs. I had a Sac turn out of Sparks, NV which is about 8-8.5 hour run in good weather and when I got back to Sparks they would "direct" me to go to the airport or make trailer exchanges at CPU accounts. I ended up working 10-11 hours a day anyway. I didnt like the worry about what I would have to do when I got back. Hardly ever had a 8.5 hour day.

I didnt have enough seniority to have them go down the list so was forced to work.
So just took longer runs so I would have no time to do anything else. So I knew what my night would be like.

FUH
Yet another yarn...

JL 0513

Companies have always found a way around the unions trying to get too much.
Look what UPS did about 15-20 years ago. It was cost effective to work 2 drivers 60 hours a week rather than hire 3 drivers for 40 hours.
A district manager told me this when I told her we were all maxed out in hours week after week.
That is why I bid a 11 hour feeder run rather than the 8-9 hour feeder runs. I had a Sac turn out of Sparks, NV which is about 8-8.5 hour run in good weather and when I got back to Sparks they would "direct" me to go to the airport or make trailer exchanges at CPU accounts. I ended up working 10-11 hours a day anyway. I didnt like the worry about what I would have to do when I got back. Hardly ever had a 8.5 hour day.

I didnt have enough seniority to have them go down the list so was forced to work.
So just took longer runs so I would have no time to do anything else. So I knew what my night would be like.

FUH
The result of benefit heavy compensation. On the surface, it would seem paying so much OT couldn't be cheaper. But putting a driver on the road means a full healthcare package, full pension, paid vacations and holidays. That all costs way more than OT. Not to mention the extra truck put on road.

The joke is that they want us to sacrifice for them after they sold us down the river with every contract for the last 30 years.
Once your retired it's not the unions responsibility or the current employees to negotiate for the retirees.
I'm tired of being a dead horse but its your responsibility to put some money into a 401k or ROTH IRA so you can give yourself a raise in retirement..

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Once your retired it's not the unions responsibility or the current employees to negotiate for the retirees.
I'm tired of being a dead horse but its your responsibility to put some money into a 401k or ROTH IRA so you can give yourself a raise in retirement..

Since it was brought up...

Got a issue the way locals are not recognizing the recent retirees.. the Company does something like a cake 🎂 and some recognition.

Recently we had a 35 year part time member of good standing retire, the Company and his co workers were there but no Union representative present at his going away get together. Maybe no one told our local about his retirement, but it still doesn’t sit well with me. Can we expect our new leadership to start displaying to our retirees some loyalty to their many years of membership. At least show up and wish the members a good retirement.

The members are watching and expect the membership to be treated better than being a monthly dues payer, nothing more.

Since it was brought up...

Got a issue the way locals are not recognizing the recent retirees.. the Company does something like a cake 🎂 and some recognition.

Recently we had a 35 year part time member of good standing retire, the Company and his co workers were there but no Union representative present at his going away get together. Maybe no one told our local about his retirement, but it still doesn’t sit well with me. Can we expect our new leadership to start displaying to our retirees some loyalty to their many years of membership. At least show up and wish the members a good retirement.

The members are watching and expect the membership to be treated better than being a monthly dues payer, nothing more.
Many of you guys bring up a very valid point.

There's a huge disconnect between the members and the leadership.

I don't go to all the meetings anymore because I get tired of politics.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Many of you guys bring up a very valid point.

There's a huge disconnect between the members and the leadership.

I don't go to all the meetings anymore because I get tired of politics.

I am really hoping for a change with the O’Brien administration..the previous administration lowered the bar so much that any improvements will look good.

Sean is in a good place, supposedly the Hoffa red shirts are retired, gone or turned, he has no opposition to muddle up things. The Nation is rediscovering the need of collective bargaining, people are getting sick and tire of the elites on both sides.

The only time that I go down to the hall is proposal time and discuss the tentative agreements. I did attend in my younger days and tried to listen as the older wiser members talked Union Greek, it was like going to a old Latin Mass service. Still remember smelling like a chimney pipe when I left, hell of a lot smoking back in the day.

Seriously why go down to the hall when all you have to do is go on B/C...you don’t have to second anything or be good at public speaking...