Strike 2023

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Ours always come when they are give notice of someone retiring. Granted you can't just tell them the day before "Hey Joe Bob is retiring tomorrow morning can you guys come by?."

My local also give retirees a watch or a jacket. Which ever they choose.
Why would anyone need a watch when they're retired?

Pullman Brown

I want them to waive the penalty deduction. If you work 20 or more including part-time you get what you’re owed as long as your 50. Six punch is double time. If you are forced three in a row it’s triple time. 1.00 raise every year.

Frank888

There is definitely a lot of buzz about a potential strike and I have heard the Union president talk about it a few times. Especially if they do not fix the language on 22.4s.

One thing that I found interesting is that a lot of people are saying to save money through a credit union. Has anyone already done this? Please share some details if you have!

Also, what would a strike at the United Parcel Service even look like? Can’t they replace the workers with people that think 15/hr is an amazing potential oppurtunity or even give the work to the supervisors or managers?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
There is definitely a lot of buzz about a potential strike and I have heard the Union president talk about it a few times. Especially if they do not fix the language on 22.4s.

One thing that I found interesting is that a lot of people are saying to save money through a credit union. Has anyone already done this? Please share some details if you have!

Also, what would a strike at the United Parcel Service even look like? Can’t they replace the workers with people that think 15/hr is an amazing potential oppurtunity or even give the work to the supervisors or managers?
I know almost no one who thinks $15 is a great opportunity. Look at what they’re hiring now.

Yeah sups will work but they can’t come even close to doing all of the work. For drivers they have to process applications, get the people proper license and train them. Even saying they have enough applicants (they wouldn’t) you’re talking weeks before they could do all of that. Who is gonna do it? The same management that’s out trying to deliver stuff?

Thebrownblob

I know almost no one who thinks $15 is a great opportunity. Look at what they’re hiring now.

Yeah sups will work but they can’t come even close to doing all of the work. For drivers they have to process applications, get the people proper license and train them. Even saying they have enough applicants (they wouldn’t) you’re talking weeks before they could do all of that. Who is gonna do it? The same management that’s out trying to deliver stuff?
I remember in 97 management was going through trailers trying to find medical deliveries by about the third or fourth day of the strike almost no trucks were coming in or going out anymore.

qdg2

What it was like in 1997....I was there.

We went on strike. Walked the picket line to get $50 a week....you read that right....$50 A WEEK.

The strike lasted 2 weeks in reality.

There were some picket line crossers(scabs so-called). A few. Mgt, tried to run some feeders and pkg cars at first. Just a day or so.

It settled into a waiting game. Pretty benign where we were. I happened to be on vacation for the first week....so no problem. I went to work for a customer for the other week. Missed no money. A little less but no interruption.

Had to be careful about activities that might cause catastrophic injury(no insurance).

We ultimately went back to work and it was friend upped for awhile. Lot of anger in public.

The strike spawned Fed-Ex ground and ultimately hurt UPS and hourlies......of which we have not recovered to this day.

IMO, it was a stupid move on the Teamsters and MGT to let it happen.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I remember in 97 management was going through trailers trying to find medical deliveries by about the third or fourth day of the strike almost no trucks were coming in or going out anymore.
I heard that they were driving around empty truck and trailers to give the impression that everything was ok…I know around here some business customers were refusing delivery from the scabs.. telling them to get the hell off the property until their regular driver was working…that’s why they were going out in pairs…getting pretty heated out on the street.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

It’s not that hard to set up an account at a credit union if that’s what you choose you’re making it sound like it’s a big deal

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I sat around the picket line campground and drank beer
Because I had been saving just in case this type of thing happened
Now you can show up and drink beer like a tough guy. Have the wife or uber pick you up later as you will be tanked by then.