Strike 2023

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I don’t plan on voting. Our representation in the union goes as far as whether or not it suits their wants. They wanted that contract to pass and they signed off on it anyway when a majority said no.

Those guys are the ones who want you not to vote so they can do whatever they want and blame it on you. Vote, just to spite those jackwagons.

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

Who needs public support? The difference between 1997 and 2023 is a pile of $200 stock that will plummet with a strike. Wall St. calls the shots this time. No worker is asking for alot, just keep up with inflation and improve the terrible work environment. Maybe that's too much to ask for.
You need to take into consideration that inflation affects the company too. Their dollar is worth just as less as yours is. Just take into consideration gas prices. Last I saw 120,000 vehicles in the fleet, 32 gallon tanks filling up twice a week with gas that’s 2.50$ a gallon more expensive than it was two years ago. That’s millions more per week. Public support is crucially needed. In 97 union shops refused UPS scab deliveries, union trucking companies refused to pick up the extra work, FedEx workers stood on the picket line with UPSers etc.

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

I never understood this thinking, all of us should be making the same amount perhaps after a short progression of the idea behind a union job.
I never understood the thinking of 20$+ an hour for a minimum wage job. You remove any incentive to progress. Also unloading a trailer or flipping a burger shouldn’t be all you aspire to. Nobody wants to put their time in. I wanted to be a driver and spent years busting my ass for pennies on the inside and then grinding up the seniority ladder for a full time driving job. It’s angering to me at least to see all that work and sacrifice I did just to see some moaning teenager come in and get more than a first year driver.

Thebrownblob

I don’t plan on voting. Our representation in the union goes as far as whether or not it suits their wants. They wanted that contract to pass and they signed off on it anyway when a majority said no.
Sorry, but you are clouding the issue with emotion. The fact is the previous administration used a legitimate article in the constitution. Whether it was because they wanted the contract passed, or felt The union membership was too laissez-faire, i’m not sure, could be both. Either way they didn’t feel going back to the table was going to accomplish anything nor the possibility of a strike would be a good idea, and the constitution allowed them to. Did I Agree with it? No, neither did most of the membership which was why as a delegate i and the majority of the delegates voted to get rid of that provision in the constitution. It’s gone now so no more complaints or safety nets, we vote no on the contract and a strike could be A real possibility. Hopefully were United and engaged.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Who needs public support? The difference between 1997 and 2023 is a pile of $200 stock that will plummet with a strike. Wall St. calls the shots this time. No worker is asking for alot, just keep up with inflation and improve the terrible work environment. Maybe that's too much to ask for.
I've been retired for almost 7 years so really out of the loop.
What is it that members really want other than staying ahead of inflation?

Maybe that should be a separate thread.

Stronger 9.5 language?
PT er wage increases ?

What are the terrible work conditions?

Thebrownblob

I never understood the thinking of 20$+ an hour for a minimum wage job. You remove any incentive to progress. Also unloading a trailer or flipping a burger shouldn’t be all you aspire to. Nobody wants to put their time in. I wanted to be a driver and spent years busting my ass for pennies on the inside and then grinding up the seniority ladder for a full time driving job. It’s angering to me at least to see all that work and sacrifice I did just to see some moaning teenager come in and get more than a first year driver.
Stop worrying about other people LOL, and that first year driver will be making 100,000 a year after his progression. Well deserved. My motivation is myself and my family I don’t need a pat on the back from the boss, sorry you do because you’ll never be happy here.

Karma...

the main concern is if management will mobilize the retired management to come back and work....I would like to see those fat asses come back and hump some cardboard....

Whither

Scofflaw
So strike no matter what? You don't care what's on the table? Just want to teach UPS a lesson?
Collectively our willingness to strike affects what will be on the table. There's no reason for us to take an overly "polite" stance heading into negotiations. And of course O'Brien already hasn't and isn't. But this posture won't be so effective if the membership largely tucks their tails between their legs. No. We have every reason to fire shots across the company's bow before negotiations. Not because we're hellbent on striking for the sake of striking, or else pure vengeance, but to encourage the company to come correct. The company needs to remember who moves the boxes.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
You need to take into consideration that inflation affects the company too. Their dollar is worth just as less as yours is. Just take into consideration gas prices. Last I saw 120,000 vehicles in the fleet, 32 gallon tanks filling up twice a week with gas that’s 2.50$ a gallon more expensive than it was two years ago. That’s millions more per week. Public support is crucially needed. In 97 union shops refused UPS scab deliveries, union trucking companies refused to pick up the extra work, FedEx workers stood on the picket line with UPSers etc.
Fuel surcharge. Try again.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
I've been retired for almost 7 years so really out of the loop.
What is it that members really want other than staying ahead of inflation?

Maybe that should be a separate thread.

Stronger 9.5 language?
PT er wage increases ?

What are the terrible work conditions?
Constant retaliation and no penalty for it. The new move for management is warning letters for stupid crap like not folding in the mirrors at every stop. They call it "methods violations" but overlook it for the runners that don't file. Also the ridiculously late start times for no reason. I'm sure Dragon could fill you in on their silly little schemes but he won't reply.