Strike 2023

542thruNthru

Collectively our willingness to strike affects what will be on the table. There's no reason for us to take an overly "polite" stance heading into negotiations. And of course O'Brien already hasn't and isn't. But this posture won't be so effective if the membership largely tucks their tails between their legs. No. We have every reason to fire shots across the company's bow before negotiations. Not because we're hellbent on striking for the sake of striking, or else pure vengeance, but to encourage the company to come correct. The company needs to remember who moves the boxes.
We should all be ready and willing to strike. It's our biggest weapon against corporations like UPS and we should absolutely threaten to use it. I was just asking if he's already decided that no matter what he's voting no because he's angry at the company and wants to seek revenge.

I'm hearing a lot of that from people. It's why I had my signature from Confucius about revenge.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
We should all be ready and willing to strike. It's our biggest weapon against corporations like UPS and we should absolutely threaten to use it. I was just asking if he's already decided that no matter what he's voting no because he's angry at the company and wants to seek revenge.

I'm hearing a lot of that from people. It's why I had my signature from Confucius about revenge.
There's alot of bitterness in the ones that do the work. I don't blame them. Many people have gotten rich off our backs..

Thebrownblob

Collectively our willingness to strike affects what will be on the table. There's no reason for us to take an overly "polite" stance heading into negotiations. And of course O'Brien already hasn't and isn't. But this posture won't be so effective if the membership largely tucks their tails between their legs. No. We have every reason to fire shots across the company's bow before negotiations. Not because we're hellbent on striking for the sake of striking, or else pure vengeance, but to encourage the company to come correct. The company needs to remember who moves the boxes.
It will be helpful if, and when there’s a strike vote, that people actually vote. The numbers were ridiculously pathetic.

Whither

Scofflaw

Word. I didn't read the OP's post as "strike no matter what" just as a solid declaration of intent if it comes down to that.

I think there's usually a lot of things going on when people talk about striking. If nothing else it's a good sign that they're angry and have been paying to attention to their working conditions, to the company's financial success, and to the IBT leadership's tone. Yes, we must be careful about getting too hot-headed, but anger is a gift if you can harness it.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
True, what was it, 93 percent authorized to 7 percent who didn't. That's a very small fraction of UPS Teamsters opposed to striking :lol:

The Debbie downers will point out that it was only 22% of voting members who voted on the strike. That's an anti-member interpretation. What it tells me is that 78% weren't too concerned about going on strike, otherwise they would have made sure to vote to not authorize the strike.

Whither

Scofflaw
Apathy is a killer.
I don't disagree but we'll never have a chance against it if we just try and "rah-rah" cynical, but otherwise good Teamster brothers and sisters into getting excited. There are reasons why they became cynical that are easy to dismiss but not at all easy to resolve. It's a large organization, and the locals tend to be clique-y, and there was Hoffa Jr. Meanwhile unions have been on a long, slow death trajectory.

allahuakbar

She/Her
I never understood the thinking of 20$+ an hour for a minimum wage job. You remove any incentive to progress. Also unloading a trailer or flipping a burger shouldn’t be all you aspire to. Nobody wants to put their time in. I wanted to be a driver and spent years busting my ass for pennies on the inside and then grinding up the seniority ladder for a full time driving job. It’s angering to me at least to see all that work and sacrifice I did just to see some moaning teenager come in and get more than a first year driver.
FOUND THE BOOMER!

trotsky

I don’t think we will have to decide. Unfortunately I think the company is going to play rough ,take what we offer or you don’t have a job. They can replace us won’t mater if they need to hire 2 to do the same job. The horrible diad 6 the equally horrible Orion will allow them to get the job done.
Every employer in the country would love to know where ups can find enough employees to keep the doors open much less have two to do the job of one. The company doesn't have the upper hand here, this place cant run without people and they are barely hanging on as is with staffing.