Strike during peak? Say Whaaat?

Mooseknuckle

This goose is cooked. Having said that though, there is a lot of new hires. They most likely don't know the history or consequences or of being apathetic. We REALLY need to talking with these people and not just commiserating with people that already do know.

a911scanner

I'm a new hire since '13, and I am one of the main "Vote NO" rabble rousers at my center.

It's a matter of personal responsibility, not length of service. I guess my age is what dictates that.

opie

Contract will be voted down. Next vote would not be till after peak season. Company will want to delay it till January.

noazrk

Union Steward
Listening to the teleconference now and I learned something new. Been brown for 11 years and I NEVER even heard of a 22.2 inside FT job! I thought ALL inside FT were 22.3. Taylor is saying the new 22.4 driver job being 2nd tier is just like the 22.2 vs. 22.3 and plenty of UPSers are happy about 22.3 jobs. Well, that is true BUT if I never even heard of a 22.2 job that is proof (at least in my area) that after allowing 22.3 jobs over time 22.2 jobs are almost nonexistent and I'm guessing 90% of FT inside jobs are 22.3 so basically, the watered down inside FT job took over. What's to stop UPS from basically doing the same thing for driver jobs? Once a RPCD M-friend route is established and bid on is management allowed to break it up or change it so it goes from a 10 hour route to an 8 hour route? The only day 22.4 drivers won't drive is Monday but I'm guessing PTCD could be used to plug in the gaps so the RPCD wouldn't get much overtime anymore. In our contract meeting the union admitted that UPS is not going to allow 22.4 to ever work in the hub here as they would obviously rather pay part-timers to do inside work. So at least here, it's not a true combination job but just a 2nd tier driver job.

Mooseknuckle

Contract will be voted down. Next vote would not be till after peak season. Company will want to delay it till January.
February. In most areas January is still peak. Amazon gift cars for stocking stuffers, Amazon returns, stores restocking their inventory, etc.

noazrk

Union Steward
This goose is cooked. Having said that though, there is a lot of new hires. They most likely don't know the history or consequences or of being apathetic. We REALLY need to talking with these people and not just commiserating with people that already do know.

You are correct! I recently did so and the results are depressing, here are the details.

I was on vacation before the contract meeting on 8/12. I went to my hub 30 minutes before our shift on Friday 8/10 and handed out flyers stating "Your contract Your future" pleading my fellow part-timers as their steward to show up and be represented. I left all opinions about the contract off the flyer but I typed up some hot topics for part-timers to bring up at the meeting. I got 5-8 verbal commitments to attend a meeting that was unfortunately on Sunday morning at 10am. Before the meeting started I walked around and looked for PT members, NOBODY showed up! Just me and the other steward were there representing the part-timers and when I stood up to voice displeasure about one of the 4-5 issues I have with the current proposal it didn't go well. I didn't recognize anyone from the other shift either other than their stewards. People either forgot about it, it was too early, had to go to church....blah blah blah. Seriously? I go to church too but this is a 1 in 5 year meeting. My sort has dozens of 5+ year part-timers who treat this as their main job yet the meeting wasn't important enough. Sad.....and what a waste of time for me to go down there on my vacation. Hopefully they will at least research what they missed and make an educated vote.

Mooseknuckle

You are correct! I recently did so and the results are depressing, here are the details.

I was on vacation before the contract meeting on 8/12. I went to my hub 30 minutes before our shift on Friday 8/10 and handed out flyers stating "Your contract Your future" pleading my fellow part-timers as their steward to show up and be represented. I left all opinions about the contract off the flyer but I typed up some hot topics for part-timers to bring up at the meeting. I got 5-8 verbal commitments to attend a meeting that was unfortunately on Sunday morning at 10am. Before the meeting started I walked around and looked for PT members, NOBODY showed up! Just me and the other steward were there representing the part-timers and when I stood up to voice displeasure about one of the 4-5 issues I have with the current proposal it didn't go well. I didn't recognize anyone from the other shift either other than their stewards. People either forgot about it, it was too early, had to go to church....blah blah blah. Seriously? I go to church too but this is a 1 in 5 year meeting. My sort has dozens of 5+ year part-timers who treat this as their main job yet the meeting wasn't important enough. Sad.....and what a waste of time for me to go down there on my vacation. Hopefully they will at least research what they missed and make an educated vote.
Don't be stressed about it. Most of them probably already know they'll vote no they don't want to go to hear all the bs. I had a commitment from a lot more than showed up. still, those people will be talking about all the unanswered questions, half answers, and answers that made no sense.

Blackstream

The President can order a 60 day cooling-off period for any industry if a strike endangers the "national health and safety". I have absolutely no doubt that Trump would love to tweet that a UPS strike might hold up critical medications, etc and stick it to Union hourlies by averting a Peak strike.

What a hero Trump would be, eh? “Trump saves Christmas from labor Unions” all over Fox News.
So... just out of curiosity... can he keep doing this indefinitely until his term ends? Or is it a 2 month block and done?

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Some of the language in this contract might indicate just how long it will take to get this thing ratified:

No newly created full time positions in the first year. (The company will not have to backpay into any benefit plans or dovetail seniority).

In the IBT/UPS pension no increases for the full timers till 1 January 2020. (An attempt to retain most of the Senior Feeder department who are eligible for service pension from leaving early before the Contact is passed).

Current lower seniority regular package car drivers that are working Saturdays will have to work that schedule for a year and one half. (Does anybody really believe that it would take the company a year and one half to implement these new 22.4s into their operations)

70 cent raise in the first year. (Cost savings with the retro payments).

With the current (Transformation Project) most of the Higher Seniority partners will not be leaving till March 2019 or longer. (Some of the companies negotiating committee members with the time in will not be eligible to leave till this contract is ratified.)

Both negotiating parties might get real lucky and squeak the "Master" through, but everybody should of figured out by now that most of the "Supplements and Riders" will be voted down on the first round. The last contract would support that, just study the voting results from 2013 (The "Master ") barely passed by 4,000 votes and most of the Supplements went down, the big one being the Central Supplement.)

Face reality it will be a long, long time before this one is settled or am I reading the tea leaves wrong on this one?

F

Frankie's Friend

Some of the language in this contract might indicate just how long it will take to get this thing ratified:

No newly created full time positions in the first year. (The company will not have to backpay into any benefit plans or dovetail seniority).

In the IBT/UPS pension no increases for the full timers till 1 January 2020. (An attempt to retain most of the Senior Feeder department who are eligible for service pension from leaving early before the Contact is passed).

Current lower seniority regular package car drivers that are working Saturdays will have to work that schedule for a year and one half. (Does anybody really believe that it would take the company a year and one half to implement these new 22.4s into their operations)

70 cent raise in the first year. (Cost savings with the retro payments).

With the current (Transformation Project) most of the Higher Seniority partners will not be leaving till March 2019 or longer. (Some of the companies negotiating committee members with the time in will not be eligible to leave till this contract is ratified.)

Both negotiating parties might get real lucky and squeak the "Master" through, but everybody should of figured out by now that most of the "Supplements and Riders" will be voted down on the first round. The last contract would support that, just study the voting results from 2013 (The "Master ") barely passed by 4,000 votes and most of the Supplements went down, the big one being the Central Supplement.)

Face reality it will be a long, long time before this one is settled or am I reading the tea leaves wrong on this one?
Depends on how many people vote and what their supplement fixes for them.

Over disciplined0123

The President can order a 60 day cooling-off period for any industry if a strike endangers the "national health and safety". I have absolutely no doubt that Trump would love to tweet that a UPS strike might hold up critical medications, etc and stick it to Union hourlies by averting a Peak strike.

What a hero Trump would be, eh? “Trump
saves Christmas from labor Unions” all over Fox News.
And also Let’s hope UPS didn’t contribute millions to trumps campaign, which I doubt he needs UPS $$$$

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Depends on how many people vote and what their supplement fixes for them.

With the Central and Southern were there any significant improvements? Name them all and let us all have a good laugh.

Any news for those under the Ohio Rider, why has it not been posted on UPS Rising yet? Nothing, Nada, Nil, Zilch.

Their lack of transparence has to ring a bell even with the most hard core Unionists on BOTH sides.

Just how much guff can the membership take before they start storming the bastille. Something is seriously wrong and for the most part our membership have their heads in the sand and are whistling "Dixie" quoting the same lines as the last one: "It could of been worst" or "Were is my Retro Check". Give me an ever-loving break people, get a brain or some backbone please.

Over disciplined0123

Best contract ever. Yet a non union Amazon I can say basically the same exact job at ups because I know people that worked at both places who say amazon is basically the same but more laid back atmosphere ,without someone over your shoulder timing your production .. They start at 15 dollars a hour. What a joke