Strike Fund

muthatrucka

I can’t remember what year this happened but after the 1997 strike, people complained bc we only got $50 per week. A strike fund was created sometime soon after by raising everyone’s union dues. How can we find out how much money exists in that “strike fund”?

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I can’t remember what year this happened but after the 1997 strike, people complained bc we only got $50 per week. A strike fund was created sometime soon after by raising everyone’s union dues. How can we find out how much money exists in that “strike fund”?
https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/05/business/ups-teamster-union-strike

As of September, we had some amount "over" $300 million. That's as close as I know.

Strike pay should be five times your monthly dues, I believe?

rod

Retired 22 years
If I recall correctly they issued you a check for like 55 bucks then turned around and charged you something like 65 bucks to keep your insurance up to date. Something like that. Anyway you ended up in the hole.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
"Last time" we got very little....and then not until week two.
That ended at the last IBT General Convention, thanks to the OZ Delegation.

Now in my area a top scale driver will get $700 a week and continued healthcare from day one.

Hoffa left us with very healthy strike funds, that's a fact.

Brownwind

Now in my area a top scale driver will get $700 a week and continued healthcare from day one.

And depending on your local additional revenue is available to draw from. Totally different than earlier. Your BA will let you know the details.
We’re a ways out. Start saving if you haven’t and don’t panic about the unknown and what is being said on an anonymous site. Seriously why scare the revenue away. The more they make the more we get.

542thruNthru

$700 a week? How much are your dues? I believe we'll be around $530 a week.

HavenoEDD

If people are not and have not been saving, that’s concerning. Locals need to be doing a better job communicating with those that don’t understand that if a strike lasts a few weeks..things can’t get paid and that leads to issues. Talked to some of the young bucks and asked them about their plans if things get real. Any sides jobs and contacts can be real helpful during strike time.
Our BA confirmed that those on the line will receive strike payment.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
LLocals need to be doing a better job communicating with those that don’t understand that if a strike lasts a few weeks..things can’t get paid and that leads to issues.
If a strike lasts more than a few days the government will force us back to work.

Don't tell me that's not legal, they don't care. They will do it anyways and while the lawsuits play out we will be working under the old contract.

Don't believe me? Look up their rent moratorium edict. They don't care about the law.

Johney

If a strike lasts more than a few days the government will force us back to work.

Don't tell me that's not legal, they don't care. They will do it anyways and while the lawsuits play out we will be working under the old contract.

Don't believe me? Look up their rent moratorium edict. They don't care about the law.
They begged Clinton to force us back in 97, he refused and said it's a private issue I believe. Now Biden? Who knows. You may be right.

CStaples

Local pays you 3x your dues paid and International pays 5x. But you have to stand on the picket line 4 hours each day on strike to receive. Information was from Local 391 in North Carolina.