Strike in Chicago?

A

Anonymous TIE

In our building in '97 we saw sups go out two by two in P1000s every AM and return every PM around 3-3:30. The funny thing was they didn't actually make any deliveries. Their first stop was at some restaurant for breakfast and stayed there for an hour or more, then they would drive around town for a couple of hours, till lunch time. We had people following them.LOL.
They would pull trailers to the unload doors make unloading noises then re-spot the trailer and pull another one up to the dock. The funny thing about that they used the same trailer three days in a row. The trailers are numbered ya know.
When we went back to work I never heard a consignee say they ever saw a delivery during the strike.

Smoke & mirrors?
bottom line...I delivered so you had a job to come back to...not one thank you...

705red

Browncafe Steward
Why must you strike on Friday? Many times Unions work past a contract expiration until an agreement is reached. What are you looking for? What was the unions proposal?

Are you kidding me? You have been chiming in on this topic and have no idea whats on the table? Im not going to keep repeating my self so go to our websit and check it out.

When did the union last give a propsal of what they wanted?

Today around 1000am.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Why must you strike on Friday? Many times Unions work past a contract expiration until an agreement is reached. What are you looking for? What was the unions proposal?
If UPS is throwing out lowball offers like this one, what purpose would there be in giving them an extension so they can jerk 705 around even longer? It looks to me like the UPS negotiating team is having difficulty maintaining a "sense of urgency" towards putting a fair and realistic offer on the table. Perhaps the threat of a strike will motivate them to quit wasting valuable time and get real.

705red

Browncafe Steward
The threat was out there today and this is the offer they proposed so now it will take a strike.

Check the papers in the morning. I just got a call that the media was waiting for a response from ups and norman black ups's pr guy said that 705 and 710 usually take long but he guaranteed that our contract would be settled by aug 1st. I guess he didnt check with his contract team or this website before putting his foot in his mouth.

Now its public!

govols019

You smell that?
I've somehow been blessed with quality intellect AND brawn, outstanding and unwavering support and the best advisors money (academic and professional development) and love (my immediate family and a few I'd trust with my life) can buy, I don't find myself in this position. That having been said......if I WERE in that position, I'd report if my manager gave the order, picket lines and all. I'm very sorry, Brownman. :sad-very::whiteflag: -Rocky

What, exactly, does the first part of your post have to do with the second part? Do you just like to hear the sound your keyboard makes while your typing?

Uh-huh....and how many jobs with it? Both in Chicago and nationwide? How many hubs' lights will turn off for the last time next Thursday? How many feeders parked until they can be sold? Watch.....at least one Chicago hub will go dark for good. Strike and the numbers will stagger ya.

Think very, very carefully before you strike, folks. Eastern's people didn't and look what happened to them. JMHO.....-Rocky

Gee thanks for the support Rock. Please don`t pull your business as you stated in an earlier post. I don`t how we`ll get buy with out the revenue from shipping your "manhood enlargers",blowup dolls,and Star Wars action figures you buy on e-bay.

drewed

Shankman
Gee thanks for the support Rock. Please don`t pull your business as you stated in an earlier post. I don`t how we`ll get buy with out the revenue from shipping your "manhood enlargers",blowup dolls,and Star Wars action figures you buy on e-bay.

Oh wow, I cant believe you forgot the limited edition beanie babies! lol

tieguy

Banned
Are you admitting this for the crap it is when it gets posted? Will you yourself support a strike for a proposal like this? I have a picket sign ready for you, it says " Tightest slave ship in the shipping business".

Its the truth as is everything i have posted is. If you wont support a strike can you at least call and ask atlanta if they have fallen off of their rocker? How can someone slide this over the table knowing that the finger is on the nuke just ready to launch? As you can see the union is being forced to walk off by ups for not bargaining in good faith. 3 days left this thursday then next tuesday and thursday.

Everyone should probably call corporate and tell them that their ups negotiating team in chicago have lost their minds!

funny you folks think nothing of highballing your offers but pretend to be offended when the company low balls theirs. Look at your supervisor working penalty. You asked for 9x and then agreed to double time.

The company could have run some of their own propaganda stating highlighting the redicously high demands made by the union but they have too much class to play this game.

Everything is on plan. The script is beling followed. Soon the two sides will meet somewhere in the middle.

well have an agreement by the end of the month at which time Zero( I want to be a hero) will crow how they busted the companys balls to get this great deal.

tieguy

Banned
They better come to negotiate seriously on thursday or that could be the last day. It took 8 hours to get that out of them today. We will settle it from the streets.

Rah rah rah. Get em tiger. You're quickly becoming my hero with this overdone hype of yours.

We're all standing on the sidelines saying wow look at Red he is suuuuchhh a tough guy.

Show us that baseball bat hero.:happy-very:

Hey when you guys walk can you get the guy with the bad teeth to be your poster boy?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yeah, and today was different than yesterday. What's your point?

The economic conditions that were in place in 1997 and those of today are like night and day. Public sentiment was high in 1997--would be non-existent today.

I am not advocating wage concessions by any means. I am advocating that negotiations continue and that both sides work tirelessly to reach an agreement. I would think that the numbers that the rest of us have in the NMA would suffice. I would also hope that this contract would end the separate negotiation for Locals 705 and 710 and that all UPSers vote on the NMA at the same time--supplements are of course a different story and address local issues.

I also find it troubling that approx. 1% of Teamster UPSers (those that voted yes to strike) may affect the remaining 99% if they indeed follow through on their plans. I strongly urge those Teamsters to continue to work under the existing agreement until a contract settlement can be reached.

brownman15

The economic conditions that were in place in 1997 and those of today are like night and day. Public sentiment was high in 1997--would be non-existent today.

I am not advocating wage concessions by any means. I am advocating that negotiations continue and that both sides work tirelessly to reach an agreement. I would think that the numbers that the rest of us have in the NMA would suffice. I would also hope that this contract would end the separate negotiation for Locals 705 and 710 and that all UPSers vote on the NMA at the same time--supplements are of course a different story and address local issues.

company has been dragging their heals since june 9. no reason this should drag on and on. and 2 give an economic proposal 9 days before contract expires is ridiculus.

I also find it troubling that approx. 1% of Teamster UPSers (those that voted yes to strike) may affect the remaining 99% if they indeed follow through on their plans. I strongly urge those Teamsters to continue to work under the existing agreement until a contract settlement can be reached.

check the website again more than 1% voted

brownman15

funny you folks think nothing of highballing your offers but pretend to be offended when the company low balls theirs. Look at your supervisor working penalty. You asked for 9x and then agreed to double time.

if they would have given this low ball offer june 9 that would have been ok but 9 days before contract ends with 3 meeting left and union did not low ball on economic pkg

Everything is on plan. The script is beling followed. Soon the two sides will meet somewhere in the middle.

could have been done a lot sooner

well have an agreement by the end of the month at which time Zero( I want to be a hero) will crow how they busted the companys balls to get this great deal.

who is zero sounds like someone in management

Dutch Dawg

Based on the logic I'm able to grasp from your comments above. Would you also propose that no matter how egregious a future contract violation could be, no local would be allowed to walk because of the effect it would have on the other 99% of the UPS Teamsters in the country?

I believe your desires suggested are in your best interests and what 705 and 710 currently do are in the best interests of their members. While you can single out these two locals for this particular example, I believe it holds true for every local in this country to supposedly represent the best interests of it's members.

If one is going to use the logic to suggest that all locals negotiate one NMA. Why have regional supplementals if the field is to be truly level?

While no one that I know desires to see or be a part of a work stoppage. I strongly urge all 705 and 710 members to follow the direction of their union leaders when it comes to instructions on working or not working without a contract. Anyone that was around in 97 should be able to refresh your memory regarding the post strike $anctions that were handed down to those that chose to ignore this piece of wisdom.

The world is not going to end on July 31, geez all one has to do is read Nostradamus to know we have until 2012:happy-very:

Last edited:

tieguy

Banned
Brown,

UPS has their methodical plodding way of negotiating contracts. Your union knows this. They already know exactly what UPS will do when.

Thus they then do a little rabble rousing and work in a strike vote right before they know the corporate folks are coming down.

Its a terrific campaigning tactic to show the world how they are beating UPS into submission. But thats all it is. A game your union leadership is playing because they think their members will believe it all.

Did you see your unions pension highball? they want the company to go from putting 260 a week in for each full timer to 560 in five years. Clearly a highball offer.

Now back to you brown if you're union was really serious about getting this contract settled then why not ask for the number they are really looking for instead of highballing it?