Strike in Chicago?

tieguy

Banned
Based on the logic I'm able to grasp from your comments above. Would you also propose that no matter how egregious a future contract violation could be, no local would be allowed to walk because of the effect it would have on the other 99% of the UPS Teamsters in the country?

Dawg,

There are a lot of us who don't really like the contract negotiations. we know those talks could end up being disruptions to the business that affect all of us. So we get through the national contract and we sigh a collective sigh of relief.

Now here comes chicago. Chicago could have a national contract and a supplemental contract that covers all of their special concerns and be done right now. But no they are special. Really not they because it seems like 710 is fine but 705 wants to stand up and grandstand and say look at me. So here we go again when all of this should have been done with during the national talks.

tieguy

Banned
When chicagoans say united we stand what the really mean is:

I won't join everyone else when they talk contract.

I'll have mine later

I'll look to better whatever you get.

I'll look for your help if my seperate talks go sour.

I'll look for you to risk your house and personal finances supporting me if my special talks go sour.

So where you should have symbiotic unionism instead you have a parasitic union relationship where chicago gets all the benifits.

Gosh Tie that sure is a lot of propaganda from someone who doesn`t even know we booted Zero years ago and got a real union committee. I wonder if thats why the company is giving the 705 a hard time because UPS` lapdog is no longer there.

tieguy

Banned
thats becasue 710 has a no strike clause in the contract, but like the last strike if 705 came to 710 and picketed, 710 wont cross the lines.

My point was how quietly 710 appears to be conducting their negotiations while 705 is pitching a big fuss.

tieguy

Banned
If UPS is throwing out lowball offers like this one, what purpose would there be in giving them an extension so they can jerk 705 around even longer? It looks to me like the UPS negotiating team is having difficulty maintaining a "sense of urgency" towards putting a fair and realistic offer on the table. Perhaps the threat of a strike will motivate them to quit wasting valuable time and get real.

The purpose would be that the same results can be achieved without socking it to the members pocketbooks.

BrownSuit

Check the papers in the morning. I just got a call that the media was waiting for a response from ups and norman black ups's pr guy said that 705 and 710 usually take long but he guaranteed that our contract would be settled by aug 1st. I guess he didnt check with his contract team or this website before putting his foot in his mouth.

Now its public!

So was that the Norwich Bulletin(Norwich, CT for those who like me had never heard of it before) by any chance? I just Googled it and that's all I came up with. Although I give you credit, it's a start.

I'll try to find time over the next couple of days to reply to some of your other posts later.

BTW, have you watched American Standoff yet? I thought I told you if you had time to post here, you should have time to watch it. It would be good while your doing all those signs.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
The economic conditions that were in place in 1997 and those of today are like night and day. Public sentiment was high in 1997--would be non-existent today.

I am not advocating wage concessions by any means. I am advocating that negotiations continue and that both sides work tirelessly to reach an agreement. I would think that the numbers that the rest of us have in the NMA would suffice. I would also hope that this contract would end the separate negotiation for Locals 705 and 710 and that all UPSers vote on the NMA at the same time--supplements are of course a different story and address local issues.

I also find it troubling that approx. 1% of Teamster UPSers (those that voted yes to strike) may affect the remaining 99% if they indeed follow through on their plans. I strongly urge those Teamsters to continue to work under the existing agreement until a contract settlement can be reached.

Dead on correct

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Did the Flight Controllers Union have a rally song or something before they went on strike? Now would be the time to start warming up.

Public sentiment WILL NOT support a UPS strike. This is not 1997, in any way measurable, and mostly for the negative.

UPS is either incredibly stupid (by that insulting, albeit 3rd-4th hand information of pay advances) or incredibly smart, as this is an excellent economic climate to destroy a union.

I don't believe UPS is stupid.

Long Live Bethlehem Steel

govols019

You smell that?
Originally Posted by UpstateNYUPSer
The economic conditions that were in place in 1997 and those of today are like night and day. Public sentiment was high in 1997--would be non-existent today.

I remember being told that the public wouldn't support us in '97 because we made $20 an hour. Point is, the case that it's a bad time to call a strike can always be made regardless of economic conditions. Sometimes you just do what you got to do.

drewed

Shankman
I remember being told that the public wouldn't support us in '97 because we made $20 an hour. Point is, the case that it's a bad time to call a strike can always be made regardless of economic conditions. Sometimes you just do what you got to do.

yea do what you got a do but the public wont be behind you, the strikes on nowadays are small unorganized glubergloffins (yes i just made that up) every strike in the past 2 years has been small, low publicized and people dont care because they have their own problems with, the only one people really cared about was the writers strike and thats because they didnt want the fall lineup interupted

705red

Browncafe Steward
So was that the Norwich Bulletin(Norwich, CT for those who like me had never heard of it before) by any chance? I just Googled it and that's all I came up with. Although I give you credit, it's a start.

I'll try to find time over the next couple of days to reply to some of your other posts later.

BTW, have you watched American Standoff yet? I thought I told you if you had time to post here, you should have time to watch it. It would be good while your doing all those signs.

Buddy im not on the clock so you cant tell me what to do or what to watch. Im in the process of getting ready to make another documentary next friday.

705red

Browncafe Steward
The public is now aware that we were offered 15cents in raises, while the company has no problem spending millions on nascar and a washed up horse. Im willing to beat we would win this pr campaign. Unless of course mullet boy comes out with something interesting. We all know it wont happen.

reydluap

I was thinking about this topic today.

Being the devils advocate here.

Look at what UPS might be thinking here. Only 3000 out of 13000 voted,,,hardly a majority. UPS just might be saying to themselves..GO AHEAD AND GO ON STRIKE! The higher paying/vacation time and benifit personel have went on strike and walked off the job. You earn strike pay...no benifits and you can't collect unemployment compensation because it's a labor dispute and YOU walked off the job! So, UPS will just hire replacement workers.

Once again...it's going to be hard to sell the public that lifes soooo tough for you when so many people are unemployed and have NO health insurance.

How come when you log onto www.TEAMSTERS.org ....you don't read anything on this big strike talk. So if the National Union don't recognize the Strike vote...why should UPS??

Members of Local 705 and 710 do understand while you're out standing with your signs in front of the UPS buildings at STRIKE PAY, The Union officials that you so proudly voted in office are still COLLECTING FULL PAY AND BENIFITS.

Camping Nana

Locals that have signed on for local 705 support and picket line extensions are NORCAL Marty Frates, locals 396 and 63 in south california, locals 804 and 25 with more callimg as we speak. I guess chicagos not in this alone after all.

Heres a link to our strike vote turnout.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7BY8K4H1k8

WOW - tried watching your little video - gave me motion sickness and a headache, it was so amateur and herky-jerky
:sick: