Strike Rumors

deleted9

Not at my center it didn't. Management took out empty package cars and drove around to make it look like it was business as usual
but very very very few packages were ever delievered. Only one feeder showed up at our building during the whole strike and our "inside spy" told us it was so empty that they could have stuffed all the packages in the tractor and left the trailer back at the Mpls. hub. We had NO scabs.

As long as you think they were empty....... if you think about it why would they just drive around... that makes no sense if you think about it.

rod

Retired 22 years
As long as you think they were empty....... if you think about it why would they just drive around... that makes no sense if you think about it.
\

Huh? ---to make it look like it was business as usual. These trucks were followed just to see what was really happening. The only pkgs left to deliver after the strike started were the few left in the system. Maybe it was different in the "big city" where a few scabs worked- I'm just posting what it was like at my center. When the strike started management call every consignee and told them they could pick their packages up at the building. If they weren't picked up after a few days a delivery attemt was made but that involved very few packages.

deleted9

\

Huh? ---to make it look like it was business as usual. These trucks were followed just to see what was really happening. The only pkgs left to deliver after the strike started were the few left in the system. Maybe it was different in the "big city" where a few scabs worked- I'm just posting what it was like at my center. When the strike started management call every consignee and told them they could pick their packages up at the building. If they weren't picked up after a few days a delivery attemt was made but that involved very few packages.

Who do you think cleaned out the system?

hypocrisy

Banned
I performed Ambulatory picketing during the strike (follow the package cars, picket when they stop). During the week I did this, I followed 5 different package cars on their "routes". Each one would drive for roughly 45 minutes, deliver one Ground stop (no air ever), then drive for another 45 minutes until about noon then break for an hour lunch. Each package car I followed had a part-time scab and an on-road Supervisor driving. Less than 10 deliveries were made by each package car each day. Other ambulatory picketers reported similar results and this was a huge morale booster on the picket line.

It was also obvious nothing was moving throughout the system because of how start times were 11 a.m. or later for most Drivers the few weeks following the Strike. Of course, having those two planes stranded in Europe didn't help either.

Might want to wait a few more years before re-writing history.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I performed Ambulatory picketing during the strike (follow the package cars, picket when they stop). During the week I did this, I followed 5 different package cars on their "routes". Each one would drive for roughly 45 minutes, deliver one Ground stop (no air ever), then drive for another 45 minutes until about noon then break for an hour lunch. Each package car I followed had a part-time scab and an on-road Supervisor driving. Less than 10 deliveries were made by each package car each day. Other ambulatory picketers reported similar results and this was a huge morale booster on the picket line.

It was also obvious nothing was moving throughout the system because of how start times were 11 a.m. or later for most Drivers the few weeks following the Strike. Of course, having those two planes stranded in Europe didn't help either.

Might want to wait a few more years before re-writing history.

I guess it varied by location because I took a full PC out everyday for over 2 weeks and delivered it and only made NDA pickups.

rod

Retired 22 years
Who do you think cleaned out the system?

At the most that was 2-3 days of work. Then they played games the rest of the time. Like I said- at my center they called everyone and told them to pick up their packages at the center.

Last edited:

UPSSOCKS

I guess it varied by location because I took a full PC out everyday for over 2 weeks and delivered it and only made NDA pickups.

same here.. It was buisness as usual, one of the guys that crossed the line, is a steward in one of my buildings now. These guys make up alot when it comes to 1997. I remember more unhappy teamsters than management folk. Oh well in the end UPS financial statements speak for themselves, UPS is still very profitable, and a very powerful company. I guess it is the nature of union members to be bitter about everything. I guess I would be bitter to if I had to pay to be represented by someone who didn't have my best interest in mind.

same here.. It was buisness as usual, one of the guys that crossed the line, is a steward in one of my buildings now. These guys make up alot when it comes to 1997. I remember more unhappy teamsters than management folk. Oh well in the end UPS financial statements speak for themselves, UPS is still very profitable, and a very powerful company. I guess it is the nature of union members to be bitter about everything. I guess I would be bitter to if I had to pay to be represented by someone who didn't have my best interest in mind.

What's the other choice for representation? Let UPS managers decide what my best interests are? Hahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahaha, good one.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
How many full package cars normally went out each day before the Strike?

How many went out each day during the Strike?

It seemed like it took us 2 days per center on average to deliver ... going by memory ... so about 20 I guess.
I ran a full delivery route each day (as did most of the guys) but I think some of the others may not have cleaned up the entire route in a day.
Seattle was tougher because I was not familiar with the area.

UPSSOCKS

How many full package cars normally went out each day before the Strike?

How many went out each day during the Strike?

Yeah I was in an extremely large hub at the time, and they did a heck of a job getting the packages out. The teamsters were camped right outside of the gates and I'll never forget when they made a human wall in an attempt to block exiting package cars We didn't get all the stuff delivered on time but production was through the roof.

rod

Retired 22 years
It seemed like it took us 2 days per center on average to deliver ... going by memory ... so about 20 I guess.
I ran a full delivery route each day (as did most of the guys) but I think some of the others may not have cleaned up the entire route in a day.
Seattle was tougher because I was not familiar with the area.

NO EXCUSE!!! Every driver that ever ran that route did it faster than you------you slug:happy2:

Yeah I was in an extremely large hub at the time, and they did a heck of a job getting the packages out. The teamsters were camped right outside of the gates and I'll never forget when they made a human wall in an attempt to block exiting package cars We didn't get all the stuff delivered on time but production was through the roof.

What a joke. When a driver gets pulled off his route it takes 2 managers in the truck and usually 1-3 following the truck to get any work done. I remember a few years back when PAS/EDD came into our center a driver had a family emergency and had to be pulled off his route. 3 center managers did his route until the people who do the real work at this company showed up to take the remaining stops off. We looked at the sheets the next day and the 3 managers did 9 business stops per hour. You guys can't do the job or didn't want to do the job -- that's why you are in management, everyone knows that. I still have the time sheets from that day in my locker.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
What a joke. When a driver gets pulled off his route it takes 2 managers in the truck and usually 1-3 following the truck to get any work done. I remember a few years back when PAS/EDD came into our center a driver had a family emergency and had to be pulled off his route. 3 center managers did his route until the people who do the real work at this company showed up to take the remaining stops off. We looked at the sheets the next day and the 3 managers did 9 business stops per hour. You guys can't do the job or didn't want to do the job -- that's why you are in management, everyone knows that. I still have the time sheets from that day in my locker.

Anti-Socks

bigblu 2 you

my hero!!!!