Strike Vulnerable to Political and Media Pressure

Thebrownblob

A Teamster UPS Strike WILL hurt the economy.
If we have not planned on how to manage our PR at the rank-and-file level it shows we’re not serious, and are full of hot air.

We will absolutely have to justify our position to the public.

Claiming $40+ an hour is nothing and UPS owes us more will make us look like idiots—like entitled Union :censored2:s.

Going and proving anti-Union arguments with our own behavior is not a good idea.

If we can not speak to, and demonstrate, why our Strike is worth the economic hardships that will result of it, then we will not be as successful as we could be.

It is of critical importance to plan how we as members plan on articulating why our Strike will be beneficial to ALL Workers and not only UPSers.
And yet you believe the PR department in the international union in 1997 that was completely broke and had almost no social media, and very few forms of communication did a better job then the one in charge now that is flush with money and all kinds of forms of technology and communication won’t do better? Calm down we will be fine. 😂

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Then why does someone go on and on and on about it?

It seems as though UPS is killing drivers in droves because they are withholding precious company-provided liquids to the Drivers incapable of getting their own water.

My “precious”.... ( bodily fluids)

Attachments

• 2444CA4E-FD97-469C-938A-0A27F240BFCE.gif
    2444CA4E-FD97-469C-938A-0A27F240BFCE.gif
    484.6 KB · Views: 62

Pullman Brown

It seems like the Union should be prepared for this. With the way business supply chains work now, a Teamster Strike not only threatens UPS but also our customers, and even our customer/competitor(?) Amazon. These businesses are going to be highly resistant to a successful UPS Strike, especially Amazon.

Furthermore, the economic and inflationary issues the Biden administration is facing might cause the Administration to also be highly resistant to any kind of work stoppage at UPS. After all, this is the same administration that asked us to ramp up production a year ago. Biden will most likely publicly support the rank-and-file while doing everything he can to destroy O’Brien and break the Strike in private.

In summary, seems like a Teamster UPS Strike will have a devastating effect on our economy and our already challenged supply chain. With this in mind we should understand that potential public image problems, and Corporate-Political Pressure, are highly probable and need to be considered by both leadership and rank-and-file.

Consider what you’re gonna say when somebody puts a camera in your face and asks a loaded question like: “Why are you hurting the economy when yur already making over $40 an hour?”.

Will Sean O’Brien be able to withstand the President of the United States? Because Biden will have a massive interest in breaking a UPS Strike given the economic challenges he is already contending with.

I bet you I could get sympathy from the public on the fact that the company fails to properly staff their operation and going on three years now wants it’s work force to work six days year round. Agrees to a contract and lacks the integrity to abide by it!

Dangler

Banned
And yet you believe the PR department in the international union in 1997 that was completely broke and had almost no social media, and very few forms of communication did a better job then the one in charge now that is flush with money and all kinds of forms of technology and communication won’t do better? Calm down we will be fine. 😂
You’re not understanding the fact that we’re pretty much in a recession and the common man isn’t going to be very supportive of Workers already making $40+ potentially damaging the economy even further.

You don’t have to argue your point with me. I’m ready to Strike if need be. The point is times have changed since 97’. Production all over the country is going to be impeded by a Strike and if we don’t have a plan on how to justify ourselves to the public we’re not serious.

Furthermore, public opinion will be crucial because Biden and the Democrats are going to try to stop O’Brien if we Strike. This is a no brainer because they’re going to want to get the economy in as good of shape as possible before going into the election year.

Thebrownblob

You’re not understanding the fact that we’re pretty much in a recession and the common man isn’t going to be very supportive of Workers already making $40+ potentially damaging the economy even further.

You don’t have to argue your point with me. I’m ready to Strike if need be. The point is times have changed since 97’. Production all over the country is going to be impeded by a Strike and if we don’t have a plan on how to justify ourselves to the public we’re not serious.

Furthermore, public opinion will be crucial because Biden and the Democrats are going to try to stop O’Brien if we Strike. This is a no brainer because they’re going to want to get the economy in as good of shape as possible before going into the election year.
We’re in a recession? First I’ve heard of it. 😂

Dangler

Banned
I bet you I could get sympathy from the public on the fact that the company fails to properly staff their operation and going on three years now wants it’s work force to work six days year round. Agrees to a contract and lacks the integrity to abide by it!
No. Reasons to Strike are not the same as courting public support. We as Teamsters have our own reasons for supporting a Strike that differ from the public’s. We can’t get our reasons for supporting a Strike mixed up with the Public’s reasons for doing so. The Public will want to know why it benefits them. We need to show how us striking benefits all workers.

Integrity

Binge Poster
It seems like the Union should be prepared for this. With the way business supply chains work now, a Teamster Strike not only threatens UPS but also our customers, and even our customer/competitor(?) Amazon. These businesses are going to be highly resistant to a successful UPS Strike, especially Amazon.

Furthermore, the economic and inflationary issues the Biden administration is facing might cause the Administration to also be highly resistant to any kind of work stoppage at UPS. After all, this is the same administration that asked us to ramp up production a year ago. Biden will most likely publicly support the rank-and-file while doing everything he can to destroy O’Brien and break the Strike in private.

In summary, seems like a Teamster UPS Strike will have a devastating effect on our economy and our already challenged supply chain. With this in mind we should understand that potential public image problems, and Corporate-Political Pressure, are highly probable and need to be considered by both leadership and rank-and-file.

Consider what you’re gonna say when somebody puts a camera in your face and asks a loaded question like: “Why are you hurting the economy when yur already making over $40 an hour?”.

Will Sean O’Brien be able to withstand the President of the United States? Because Biden will have a massive interest in breaking a UPS Strike given the economic challenges he is already contending with.
I think making money the main reasons for striking will not be understood by many and may give UPS the edge in the public relations arena.

It is my observation that out country and the media of our country are not naturally sympathetic to unions.

I believe first and foremost the employees have to create sympathy for themselves by letting them know how bad UPS is as an employer, not how much of their money you want them to share. I am not saying UPS is all bad , I am saying that the public needs to know about as many of the horrible working conditions, lies, lack of management integrity, retaliation, unsafe work culture, fake safety focus, etc. etc.

UPS public relations will certainly be letting everyone know all the great benefits to being an employee for UPS and there are benefits that do exceed many blue collar workers, I think if money is the upfront issue then this will create a public sentiment against the union in a potential strike.

I believe once you have the public sympathy for the UPS employees fighting against the horrible working conditions and management tactics and if you can get any media to jump on this angle then you can start pressing UPS to reach into their deep pockets and pay their employees a fair share that is deserved.

Dangler

Banned
An important factor here worth noting is that UPS is not that bad compared to other blue-collar workplaces. Many men nowadays get abused the same way we do, but they’re getting the abuse with half our pay. How do we convince these guys?

We don’t need public support so much to successfully Strike against UPS alone, but to keep the political and corporate powers at bay.

If Sean O’Brien watches the news and sees stories of how he’s causing Americans to suffer and so forth it’s going to have an effect. We’re going to have to have a solid bloc of public support to help mitigate against this.

Dangler

Banned
There is a possibility that we will reach an agreement without striking.
That would be preferable. The way to avoid a Strike is to let the company know we’re serious and ready to do it if necessary. A work stoppage will most likely result from a miscalculation. If we’re openly ready to Strike it leaves less for the company to miscalculate.

Pullman Brown

No. Reasons to Strike are not the same as courting public support. We as Teamsters have our own reasons for supporting a Strike that differ from the public’s. We can’t get our reasons for supporting a Strike mixed up with the Public’s reasons for doing so. The Public will want to know why it benefits them. We need to show how us striking benefits all workers.

Okay then we’ll make sure that we add the public to our National Master Service United Agreement this go around.

HavenoEDD

Intrigued to watch this forum and other media to see where UPS and the lobby tactics start to do their work. They will no doubt try to create second guessing, division and make some question.
I’m concerned that the newer generation seems to feel it’s cool to kiss management butt and some even add them to their social media. To each his own though…I do hope that we all get on the same page and when it’s time, we react. I have my doubts that this will go smoothly. Have that strike find ready, talk to your spouses and prepare. Just in case.

Pullman Brown

An important factor here worth noting is that UPS is not that bad compared to other blue-collar workplaces. Many men nowadays get abused the same way we do, but they’re getting the abuse with half our pay. How do we convince these guys?

We don’t need public support so much to successfully Strike against UPS alone, but to keep the political and corporate powers at bay.

If Sean O’Brien watches the news and sees stories of how he’s causing Americans to suffer and so forth it’s going to have an effect. We’re going to have to have a solid bloc of public support to help mitigate against this.

Says who?