Strike Vulnerable to Political and Media Pressure

Thebrownblob

Intrigued to watch this forum and other media to see where UPS and the lobby tactics start to do their work. They will no doubt try to create second guessing, division and make some question.
I’m concerned that the newer generation seems to feel it’s cool to kiss management butt and some even add them to their social media. To each his own though…I do hope that we all get on the same page and when it’s time, we react. I have my doubts that this will go smoothly. Have that strike find ready, talk to your spouses and prepare. Just in case.
I’ll make the case now that the most important aspect of this contract is the membership sticking together. That happened in 97. And that is the wildcard this time. Everything else is secondary. We are the largest private contract up for negotiation. We are a force to be reckoned with if we stick together. If we don’t public sentiment, Government intervention, or otherwise doesn’t matter.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
The idea that the President will step in is overblown.

UPS ships 80 percent of the nation's packages, approximately 12 million each day.

"I still think the parties ought to go back to the table," Clinton said. "I hope they'll go back to the table but at this time I don't think any further action by me is appropriate."

They will definitely put pressure on both sides to come to an agreement if A strike happens.

Thebrownblob

If you understand anything about the railroads you would know this has nothing to do with us.

From the story.
“The widely expected move will keep 115,000 rail workers on the job while the arbitrators develop a set of contract recommendations for both sides to consider.”

Unlike most industries, the federal government has to allow freight rail workers to strike.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
If you understand anything about the railroads you would know this has nothing to do with us.

From the story.
“The widely expected move will keep 115,000 rail workers on the job while the arbitrators develop a set of contract recommendations for both sides to consider.”

Unlike most industries, the federal government has to allow freight rail workers to strike.
It's very optimistic for you to think the government can't put down a strike in our industry.

Thebrownblob

It's very optimistic for you to think the government can't put down a strike in our industry.
I don’t think I ever said can’t , comparing our industry to the highly federalized railroad is like apples and oranges though. We would likely go on strike and it would be several weeks before the government even thought of stepping in. Just like in ‘97 it would probably be over before that anyway.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I don’t think I ever said can’t , comparing our industry to the highly federalized railroad is like apples and oranges though. We would likely go on strike and it would be several weeks before the government even thought of stepping in. Just like in ‘97 it would probably be over before that anyway.
I'm simply pointing out that the current administration didn't side with the union, they sent them back to work

That's the point of this thread, political and media pressure.

I disagree with the idea that all we need to do is stick together. Outside forces do matter. There's a way to own the narrative to get the media and politicians behind us.

Thebrownblob

I'm simply pointing out that the current administration didn't side with the union, they sent them back to work

That's the point of this thread, political and media pressure.

I disagree with the idea that all we need to do is stick together. Outside forces do matter. There's a way to own the narrative to get the media and politicians behind us.
I didn’t say “all” we need to do I said it was the most important thing, reading comprehension brother. It’s pretty much the only thing we control on our level. The rest is up to the leaders of our union.

And I understand you’re saying the administration did not “back” the union but we have a very large BLET faction in my local it is well-known that no president will allow them to go on strike without arbitration first.
I don’t know if you’re aware of that but I am letting you know it has nothing to do with how our strikes work. Whether or not the president steps in is anyone’s guess as we’re still a full year away almost lots of things could change by then. But it is not common.

542thruNthru

I didn't say you did, what's up your ass?

Nothing it’s late and I’m tired LOL maybe I misread you as well. Sorry
5714648e-2526-4ed6-ae37-02b028001e6a_text.gif

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Consider what you’re gonna say when somebody puts a camera in your face and asks a loaded question like: “Why are you hurting the economy when yur already making over $40 an hour?”.
This is an easy question to answer.

"The vast majority of UPS employees make less than half of that in hourly wages, which quietly hurts our economy daily. Meanwhile this Company realizes massive profits annually and distributes them to the stockholder in the form of dividends rather than pay their workers their fair share".

Last edited:

RUDoneYet

PVD'S ARE READY TO ROLL.
@Wally You just nailed it. I've seen a lot of money spent in the 20+ years I've been with this company, and most of it has been to ensure that were the Teamsters ever to strike again, it will have a negligible effect on our day to day operations. Billions $ spent to allow anyone with a pulse, maybe a driver's license, and a vehicle to deliver our packages. Pay them $30 an hour + mileage, and they can deliver packages from a 20 year old beat up Civic and think they've won the lottery.

Dangler

Banned
If there’s even incoming volume to be delivered, I’d put Teamsters up against cheap labor PVD Drivers any day.

PVD Drivers could possibly communicate the demands of our job for us.

When phone and shoe deliveries start going missing in record numbers, and the company struggles to maintain even a degree of the service our customers expect, our labor will be missed.

Few PVD Drivers will have the necessary mentality to do our job and will probably be in their cars crying after dark, if they even agree to work past dark. Many will refuse to deliver in certain areas where I work.

A career UPS Teamster can, and will, put up with UPS’ crap, but it’s doubtful Scabs will be able to.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Biden would back the corporation, declare parcel delivery an essential industry to national security and break up the strike; you think he's going to let Teamsters mess up the economy when Trump is on the ballot in 2 years? lol nah brah

who the :censored2: cares what Clinton did 25 years ago, US political landscape is so insanely different it's a joke to compare

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Biden would back the corporation, declare parcel delivery an essential industry to national security and break up the strike; you think he's going to let Teamsters mess up the economy when Trump is on the ballot in 2 years? lol nah brah

who the :censored2: cares what Clinton did 25 years ago, US political landscape is so insanely different it's a joke to compare

That would mean that both UPS and the Teamsters will have the Feds snooping around their past practices, could even come down to a FBI/DOJ raid for official records.

NO STRIKE... not even a chance of a strike authorization vote...they will have this settled way before 1 August 2023...

Commercial Inside Release

If entire car loads of parcels are stolen by PVDs during a strike, UPS will just spin it as the Teamster's fault. UPS spin is a specialty, with management employees working on it 2-4hrs, daily.

Nah
A Teamster UPS Strike WILL hurt the economy.
If we have not planned on how to manage our PR at the rank-and-file level it shows we’re not serious, and are full of hot air.

We will absolutely have to justify our position to the public.

Claiming $40+ an hour is nothing and UPS owes us more will make us look like idiots—like entitled Union :censored2:s.

Going and proving anti-Union arguments with our own behavior is not a good idea.

If we can not speak to, and demonstrate, why our Strike is worth the economic hardships that will result of it, then we will not be as successful as we could be.

It is of critical importance to plan how we as members plan on articulating why our Strike will be beneficial to ALL Workers and not only UPSers.
Alright, I've made up my mind. I don't like you.