Stupid arguments about the Ground business model

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Shot...
He doesn’t. He’s just a blowhard who thinks he’s smart despite being wrong about almost everything he spouts off about. He actually tried to argue with me over what state I live in.
Chaser...
I’ve been doing this for decades and have literally never heard of a driver leaving and going to drive for UPS. It obviously doesn’t happen with any frequency for a Ground contractor to care what compensation UPS offers.

AB831

I see it with my own eyes. Unless it only happens in my area, which I highly doubt.
Dano is the resident blowhard. He's wrong about almost everything he says, but he believes that arrogance equals competence, which is a sentiment echoed through every level of FedEx.

It will be fine

I see it with my own eyes. Unless it only happens in my area, which I highly doubt.
So you’ve seen a new driver in the area you deliver frequently. We run 7 days a week. I can have 3-4 different people in an area depending on the day of the week. I have small training routes all the time for new hires, that would alter your perception. Turnover is higher at Ground than UPS but what you see doesn’t mean much of anything. Our routes grow so quickly that seeing a new driver just means you saw a different driver.

AB831

So you’ve seen a new driver in the area you deliver frequently. We run 7 days a week. I can have 3-4 different people in an area depending on the day of the week. I have small training routes all the time for new hires, that would alter your perception. Turnover is higher at Ground than UPS but what you see doesn’t mean much of anything. Our routes grow so quickly that seeing a new driver just means you saw a different driver.
Why is it such a big deal to you that other people think there’s a lot of turnover at Ground? Who cares?

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily

No these aren't just cover drivers. I'm talking, the normal ground guy I see is there for a couple months, then all of a sudden gone. Then I'll see another guy regularly for months again, then gone. I know :censored2: is hitting the fan when I see the route owner herself driving the route. I have noticed that turnover hasn't been so bad lately though. I saw way more turnover back during 2014-2016.

And it's not like I'm just seeing a new guy. I talk with pretty much all the delivery people out there. I'll hear it straight from their mouths when they've had enough and thinking about a job change. Then I'll talk to the next guy and he'll tell me that he's brand new to ground. Mostly young guys, but there were a couple older guys that I was thinking 'I give this guy 3 weeks tops'.

The latest ground guy was on there for over a year. Then all of a sudden he told me they were moving the routes from a building in Vacaville all the way down to San Leandro. That pretty much forced him out. I'm sure he stayed, just moved to another area.

It will be fine

No these aren't just cover drivers. I'm talking, the normal ground guy I see is there for a couple months, then all of a sudden gone. Then I'll see another guy regularly for months again, then gone. I know * is hitting the fan when I see the route owner herself driving the route. I have noticed that turnover hasn't been so bad lately though. I saw way more turnover back during 2014-2016.

And it's not like I'm just seeing a new guy. I talk with pretty much all the delivery people out there. I'll hear it straight from their mouths when they've had enough and thinking about a job change. Then I'll talk to the next guy and he'll tell me that he's brand new to ground. Mostly young guys, but there were a couple older guys that I was thinking 'I give this guy 3 weeks tops'.

The latest ground guy was on there for over a year. Then all of a sudden he told me they were moving the routes from a building in Vacaville all the way down to San Leandro. That pretty much forced him out. I'm sure he stayed, just moved to another area.
Even if that’s true you are only seeing what’s happening on one route for one company. To extrapolate that to every company that contracts with Ground is silly.

MAKAVELI

Even if that’s true you are only seeing what’s happening on one route for one company. To extrapolate that to every company that contracts with Ground is silly.
He's in the Bay Area. Ground can't compete salary wise in the Bay. A kid working In and Out probably makes the same as a ground driver.🙃

zeev

Why is it such a big deal to you that other people think there’s a lot of turnover at Ground? Who cares?
We have to pretend that Ground is nothing more than a day labor job and the same as UPS otherwise the huge turnover will continue.

bbsam

Staff member
And you'd probably be right decades ago. But UPS has just recently started hiring drivers off the street due to increase in volume and retirements.
I don’t think you’d see as many leave for UPS you’re suggesting. Most people leaving here aren’t leaving for the money. They leave because this is a killer industry that chews people up and spits them unceremoniously into the crapper. I’ve seen a few leave for UPS. Most leave for something completely different.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
Which I why I said in in a previous post that I'm not sure if that's the case for the rest of the country. But from people's own accounts on this very forum, makes it seem as though the turnover is indeed high in other places, not just my area.
He's in the Bay Area. Ground can't compete salary wise in the Bay. A kid working In and Out probably makes the same as a ground driver.🙃

This is probably the reason there's more turnover out here. Not just In N Out, but even Amazon DSPs pay about the same as what the FedEx ground guy was making out here.

MAKAVELI

Which I why I said in in a previous post that I'm not sure if that's the case for the rest of the country. But from people's own accounts on this very forum, makes it seem as though the turnover is indeed high in other places, not just my area.

This is probably the reason there's more turnover out here. Not just In N Out, but even Amazon DSPs pay about the same as what the FedEx ground guy was making out here.
I'd imagine it's not quite as bad in rural areas where there's less job opportunities, but I'm sure it's still bad pretty much most places.

bacha29

I'd imagine it's not quite as bad in rural areas where there's less job opportunities, but I'm sure it's still bad pretty much most places.
The rural areas have serious problems too. Just getting someone interested in the job , willing to take the pittance of pay offered, pass the drug test , driving record, criminal background test and all of those other requirements just to get Fat Freddy to grant the contractor the honor of hiring the guy.... how many people do you think you're going to end up with?

bacha29

The thing to remember is that in IWBF's state the minimum wage is currently $13.50 and hour and will go to $ 15 in the near future .So that piece rate based $21 an hour he pays is about the equivalent of $12 an hour in a federal minimum wage state. And there a 5 southern states that have zero minimum wage.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
The thing to remember is that in IWBF's state the minimum wage is currently $13.50 and hour and will go to $ 15 in the near future .So that piece rate based $21 an hour he pays is about the equivalent of $12 an hour in a federal minimum wage state. And there a 5 southern states that have zero minimum wage.
Whaaaaaadafuh you talking about?

falcon back

Why does the money other people pay or earn bother you so much? It has no affect on you.