Stupid Friggin' Accident

SmithBarney

Most accidents are the result of dumb decisions, i.e. needless backing.

But thanks for playing.

No partaking in an activity that is not part of Operating a Motor vehicle is a DUMB Decision. Much like you wouldn't knit a sweater while driving.. Needlessly backing, could be arguably a sound decision, playing angry birds while driving, can never be seen as a sound decision.

MassWineGuy

What's a poser, exactly?

Yup. I worked UPS seasonally, always got positive rehires, and don't work there now. For me, that's better. My sup let me use him as a reference. Obviously I was a terrible employee.

I realize that neither Cosmo nor any other driver (UPS or otherwise) ever has an accident. And that's great.

It would take a lot to put your intelligence aside, Harry. But I'm doing my best.

DontThrowPackages

I'm fine driving a 700, Sprinter and probably a 900. For my pickup route's typical volume I usually drive a van.

One morning last week (that I volunteered to work), I was given some deliveries and one of those Ford vans with a turning radius of three football fields. It was parked very close to the wall with the exit.

As slowly as I was going, I managed to catch the side cargo door on one of the yellow guard posts and cause a huge crushing dent. Door opens and shuts fine, but looks awful.

Yes I am responsible. But what a dumb accident. And of course, who was standing right there but the new senior manager.

I'm an excellent, safety conscious driver anywhere outside of the station.
Volunteered? Don't feel bad. Somewhere in the history of this company, one employee Volunteered to work and didn't come home. Be happy that's all it was.

bbsam

Staff member
No partaking in an activity that is not part of Operating a Motor vehicle is a DUMB Decision. Much like you wouldn't knit a sweater while driving.. Needlessly backing, could be arguably a sound decision, playing angry birds while driving, can never be seen as a sound decision.
Whatever.

Artee

Are they going to give you a letter? two more accidents in the next 12 months with letters and you are looking for a new job. In fact one more accident in the next couple months that results in a letter, they are going to be giving you the option of looking for a non driving position. I have seen things snowball quickly for drivers, so its time to get serious out there now. If not sure, GOAL. Remember any kind of backing accident now days is an automatic letter.

STFXG

Are they going to give you a letter? two more accidents in the next 12 months with letters and you are looking for a new job. In fact one more accident in the next couple months that results in a letter, they are going to be giving you the option of looking for a non driving position. I have seen things snowball quickly for drivers, so its time to get serious out there now. If not sure, GOAL. Remember any kind of backing accident now days is an automatic letter.

So you guys can have 3 accidents in a year before you're fired? I thought Express had higher standards than ground?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
You're a Ground driver and therefore you suck. When will you ever learn?! ;)

Years ago I was pulling away from a stop, TYPING THE RECIPIENTS name and drove straight into a parking lot light post. Yep. I understand dumb accidents.:)
typing while driving is dumb?

Artee

So you guys can have 3 accidents in a year before you're fired? I thought Express had higher standards than ground?

No. A better way to state it would be: ..You can be at fault for 2 accidents in a 12 month period and be ok, but might want to consider if you should continue being in a driving position. The 3rd at fault accident(preventable) in a 12 month period and you are gone. Now you can be involved in 3 accidents(or more) in a 12 month period and as long as they are found to be non-preventable you are fine. At that point you are probably just considered bad luck and won't have too many people around you or at least wanting to drive with you. :)

Now if that is the same way it is at Ground, then it sounds like an across the board FedEx rule. Which would be sort of weird since you guys are running your own business and just contracting out to FedEx. You think you would set the standards on which you would want your drivers to live up to. Not have FedEx tell you how to do it. Maybe you can ever have stricter standards than FedEx and fire your driver for the 2nd preventable accident in 12 months.

It will be fine

3 or more preventable in a CMV is a 36 month suspension at Ground. It's under current driver qualifications. There are a bunch of standards, like DUIs, committing felonies, roll overs etc. They exist for our insurance coverage.

dezguy

No. A better way to state it would be: ..You can be at fault for 2 accidents in a 12 month period and be ok, but might want to consider if you should continue being in a driving position. The 3rd at fault accident(preventable) in a 12 month period and you are gone. Now you can be involved in 3 accidents(or more) in a 12 month period and as long as they are found to be non-preventable you are fine. At that point you are probably just considered bad luck and won't have too many people around you or at least wanting to drive with you. :)

Now if that is the same way it is at Ground, then it sounds like an across the board FedEx rule. Which would be sort of weird since you guys are running your own business and just contracting out to FedEx. You think you would set the standards on which you would want your drivers to live up to. Not have FedEx tell you how to do it. Maybe you can ever have stricter standards than FedEx and fire your driver for the 2nd preventable accident in 12 months.
Nothing is non preventable anymore. I know of a guy at another station who got t-boned by someone running a stop sign. Spent a couple days in the hospital and the rest of the week at home. Hurried up and got back to work only to get called into the managers office and presented with a letter of concern because of an avoidable accident.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
If an asteroid fell out of the sky and landed atop your vehicle it would be deemed preventable cuz you obviously weren't getting The Big Picture.