Supreme Court

moreluck

golden ticket member
White noise in the background.....hearing for the supreme court nominee...

Leahy (D-VT) asked the guy about no hearing for the Obama nominee of a year ago. The guy says he's not going to comment on something so political. Leahy says maybe you can't but I will and goes on to say how bad that was. These hearings are for people who like to hear themselves talk....Finestein too.

oldngray

nowhere special
White noise in the background.....hearing for the supreme court nominee...

Leahy (D-VT) asked the guy about no hearing for the Obama nominee of a year ago. The guy says he's not going to comment on something so political. Leahy says maybe you can't but I will and goes on to say how bad that was. These hearings are for people who like to hear themselves talk....Finestein too.

Feinstein had a fit because Gorsuch might be an originalist. She doesn't believe the Constitution means what it says.

newfie

Feinstein had a fit because Gorsuch might be an originalist. She doesn't believe the Constitution means what it says.

its lazy legislation. they cant get anything through congress so they want activist judges legislating from the bench to bypass congress.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Can you give me an example of a decision that supports your conclusion?

acd19a5f22f4073c764d695fbadca13e.jpg

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Citation please, or you are a liar.

Gays have right to marry, Mass. SJC says - The Boston Globe

In a historic and long-awaited decision, a deeply split Supreme Judicial Court yesterday ushered in a new era of gay rights, becoming the nation’s first state supreme court to rule that same-sex couples have the legal right to marry.
In the 4-3 decision, the court’s majority ruled that the centuries-old notion of marriage as limited to a man and a woman should be updated to define the institution as the exclusive, “voluntary union of two persons as spouses.”

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Gays have right to marry, Mass. SJC says - The Boston Globe

In a historic and long-awaited decision, a deeply split Supreme Judicial Court yesterday ushered in a new era of gay rights, becoming the nation’s first state supreme court to rule that same-sex couples have the legal right to marry.
In the 4-3 decision, the court’s majority ruled that the centuries-old notion of marriage as limited to a man and a woman should be updated to define the institution as the exclusive, “voluntary union of two persons as spouses.”
While I like and fully support the concept of the union as 2 people, it should be a Legal Union ... not marriage which is a religious concept.
Good example Baba.

It will be fine

I've been married 25 years but am not a religious person. Does that mean I'm not married now?
Did you file the paperwork with the state? Do you files your taxes as married?

The argument that because of your religious beliefs someone else's legal union should be referred to as something other than marriage is ridiculous. One cannot claim they are for same sex unions but only if they don't get the word marriage. That's intellectually dishonest, you're either for equality or not.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
How does this fit into your definition of your own Libertarianism?

Real question...
Never thought about it except in terms of "semantics".

Let religions/cultures have "marriage" and have the legal definition as a Legal Union (or some such term).
Same results and no sense of government intrusion into a social/religious/cultural institution.

A Libertarian still has to play politics.

As an aside - I was married in the eyes of the Lord but I never bothered with the government.
I only got legally married when my daughter was about 5 years old after it was pointed out to that if I were to die, my daughter would be able to get some SocSec help with living and school.

Last edited: