Sups bringing you misloads

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
My suggestion is that the company invest a nearly a billion dollars in some sort of dispatch and pre-load technology designed to eliminate mis-loads. :greedy:
And then hire some quality personnel that can read 31A, 33C, and 34B without going brain dead and forgetting which car they go on when they move two feet from it.

See here our routes are still numbered and letters but for PAS labels they name them after something. Like one belt may have each route named after cars another after states another types of animals.

I will say it has helped with misloads but sucks for drivers. Say your 42c one day. It's parked in a different spot everyday which means its named after something different everyday. You can no longer look at the pas on one package and see 42c and know that's your truck.

ups hero

My suggestion is that the company invest a nearly a billion dollars in some sort of dispatch and pre-load technology designed to eliminate mis-loads. :greedy:
And then hire some quality personnel that can read 31A, 33C, and 34B without going brain dead and forgetting which car they go on when they move two feet from it.

Yea, the concept sounds easy....however, take a step back now and look at the big picture. I'm not sure what your building is like but in ours most preloaders load 6 trucks, get shifted around throughout the night to help sort, move irregs around, help with the air. Cut an entire route at 7:00 and move those packages in sometimes 5 different routes. Correct the everyday bad spa labels that match the label to the T, and being told there is now way to fix it in the system, it's just something you "have to know". Drivers trading packages back and forth. Now I'm not saying driving would be easy, I know and respect ALL the BS you guys have to go through everyday, but preload isn't a piece of cake like some may think it is. RESPECT your loaders. Have a good day and be safe

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Yea, the concept sounds easy....however, take a step back now and look at the big picture. I'm not sure what your building is like but in ours most preloaders load 6 trucks, get shifted around throughout the night to help sort, move irregs around, help with the air. Cut an entire route at 7:00 and move those packages in sometimes 5 different routes. Correct the everyday bad spa labels that match the label to the T, and being told there is now way to fix it in the system, it's just something you "have to know". Drivers trading packages back and forth. Now I'm not saying driving would be easy, I know and respect ALL the BS you guys have to go through everyday, but preload isn't a piece of cake like some may think it is. RESPECT your loaders. Have a good day and be safe

Sounds like the same thing, but a different flavor.
UPS wants to do everything on the cheap and ignore the contract when the problems erupt.
Hire more preloaders, then hold them accountable.

Loading 6 trucks, LOL!!!
What a joke, UPS deserves misload problems and needs to pay any and all grievances for supervisors shuttling.

TxRoadDawg

Believe me I do understand. PAS works great for dispatch, in THEORY. Problem is EVERYTHING has to be set up perfectly before PAS. Every consignee on every street and all the streets in every loops set up the way their SUPPOSED to be set. My own opinion two things PAS accomplished. Dispatch is somewhat simpler, and loaders only have to be trained to read a label. Hard part is getting the label right with bad data from shippers:angry:

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
This one got derailed quick :) My intent was not to put down preloaders (I got 4 misloads yesterday and 2 today) but rather how we as drivers deal with them and with sups bringing them to us. For the 2 misloads I found today I drove into the guy's area and delivered them but sometimes it is just too far from my route and I have to sheet them missed.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
This one got derailed quick :) My intent was not to put down preloaders (I got 4 misloads yesterday and 2 today) but rather how we as drivers deal with them and with sups bringing them to us. For the 2 misloads I found today I drove into the guy's area and delivered them but sometimes it is just too far from my route and I have to sheet them missed.
It's never to far when you're paid by the hour. My managment team has to tell what not to run as they know I'll do my best to provide service, as I'm a service provider, it's my job.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
It's never to far when you're paid by the hour. My managment team has to tell what not to run as they know I'll do my best to provide service, as I'm a service provider, it's my job.

My area is large and we have 2 centers in my building. When I get a misload from the other center it isnt realistic to deliver it as it could add 2 hours for one package and management wouldnt go for that.

BCFan

For those of you who have said you would file a grievance---what would you prefer they do with the misloads? Sheet them as missed? Have you come back to the building and pick them up? Have the driver leave them at an alternate location for you to pickup and deliver? Have an hourly (if there is one available) shuttle them? The latter would be preferable but there is no way they are going to call someone in just to shuttle a few misloads.

Other than screwing the customer by sheeting them as missed how would you like your mgt team to handle misloads?
I am scheduled to pick up and redirect said misloads after my 1 stop per day and my shuttle run thank you very much...you see Nancy in Georgia we actually do enforce our contract......BC

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If it came down to taking care of the customer and enforcing the contract I would take care of the customer. Were it not for the customer we wouldn't have to worry about a contract.

union4life

For those of you who have said you would file a grievance---what would you prefer they do with the misloads? Sheet them as missed? Have you come back to the building and pick them up? Have the driver leave them at an alternate location for you to pickup and deliver? Have an hourly (if there is one available) shuttle them? The latter would be preferable but there is no way they are going to call someone in just to shuttle a few misloads.

Other than screwing the customer by sheeting them as missed how would you like your mgt team to handle misloads?

I like the way they handle it now. Bring me the package and I file on them working. You will never fix the misload/left in building problem. This is just the cost of doing business.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
If it came down to taking care of the customer and enforcing the contract I would take care of the customer. Were it not for the customer we wouldn't have to worry about a contract.

Why do you feel the contract needs to be violated to service a customer? The company just needs to staff a shuttle/utility driver to service the misloads with a union employee.

Johney

Why do you feel the contract needs to be violated to service a customer? The company just needs to staff a shuttle/utility driver to service the misloads with a union employee.
Exactly. This is done by guys on comp in our building, but it sure sounds like a 22.3 job to me. I would love to come in run some air then shag misloads all day.

Indecisi0n

Now that you made such a good point he will stop responding and move onto another thread.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

It's not like the package wouldn't get delivered. You'd just get double time for the sups time.

probellringer

when they shuttle to me-i ask them what their next 5 stops are...if i give them offroutes-i let driver know they are coming that way. drivers in our center work together to gather intel. the scam seems to be the same. supes leave bldg at 1030 with packages left behind.they shuttle offroutes till 2-3pm,, then help the good guys they bury with work who wont file--then they might grab a bulk pickup and head in. then they do supervisor work-cbt,dok,timecard adjusting-to make sure the NUMBER is made for day...really sad..but -they signed up for it

OCRookie

I love hearing all of you talk about there not being enough jobs and that UPS needs to staff at greater levels. You ever stop to wonder why that is? Ask any person that is remotely familiar with economics.....unions cause unemployment. When wages exceed what the market demands, less jobs are created. It really is that simple.