Switch From FedEx Express to UPS? What would YOU do?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Any outside hire driving position? Like the temporary package delivery driver position? I’ve seen several not long ago where you drive your own vehicle and others driving company trucks.

Those are seasonal, technically not full time. If your area has 22.4's (combo inside/drivers) that will most likely be the only way to go. If they don't have 22.4's they hire 1 out of every 6 drivers from outside the union.

yadadamean116

View attachment 281737
A little background with a follow up question for you fine folks in brown.

I'm 44 years old, married with 3 kids (16, 14, 12) and have been a full time courier with FedEx Express for 16 years.

I was hired in late 2003 making $14.00 per hour and after our last underwhelming 2% raise in October 2019, I'm now making $26.19 per hour...that's $12.19 per hour increase in 16 years...a whoppin' 76 cents per year.

Here's the thing: I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I'm still not topped out...and it really, really bothers me.

After the new Express "10 Step Progression Chart" was implemented a few years ago, I'm now currently on the 8th step and won't arrive at the top out mark ($29.00 in our market) until October of 2021...the end of my 18th year.

I say all that to say this: for the past few years I've spoken to many UPS drivers in my area about the pay, pension, benefits and overall culture of UPS and I've contemplated making the move. All of it -- especially the medical benefits -- blow away Express.

I don't pretend to ignore the fact that UPS works a hell of a lot harder than us folks over at Express, due to the simple fact that UPS is Ground and Air combined and your trucks (for the most part) are way more bulked out than ours.

I realize that I would have to begin in the warehouse/hub and become a package handler for awhile before I would get a crack at being a driver.

I also realize that I would have to give up my 4 weeks of vacation, current seniority, comfort of one route, and take a pay cut in the beginning to cross over to brown, but I'm so fed up (no pun intended) with how much of a gap in pay and benefits there is between the two of us.

According to the UPS drivers around my area, they top out at around $40.00 an hour after 4 years. This is extremely tempting.

My question to all of you is this: would YOU make the switch if you were in MY shoes?

Looking forward to reading your comments.
I was in your situation. But my kids were 6,3,1.... used to make 35k a year. Now 5 years later I’m in feeders making 130k. Easy decision

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Make 80 grand and see your kids grow up

Feeder is almost all night work. All of the guys I know working days have very high seniority. Overall, though, why trade scab slavery and crap pay and benefits for excellent pay, benefits, AND a real pension that actually provides a decent level of retirement income? I've done Holiday Feeder work before and the hours suck. Running the rail yards and local work aren't bad, but the longer runs are pretty decent, once you get past the impact on your day life.

It really isn't much worse than reporting for work at FedEx at 0300 and then going to bed at 1800. Both are disruptive to normal family life and relationships. The difference is that at UPS you actually make a decent living.

zeev

I was in your situation. But my kids were 6,3,1.... used to make 35k a year. Now 5 years later I’m in feeders making 130k. Easy decision
UPS now they are hiring like never before besides small package Express is going away . It’s called Last Mile Optimization

ManInBrown

View attachment 281737

I'm 44 years old, married with 3 kids (16, 14, 12) and have been a full time courier with FedEx Express for 16 years.

I was hired in late 2003 making $14.00 per hour and after our last underwhelming 2% raise in October 2019, I'm now making $26.19 per hour...that's $12.19 per hour increase in 16 years...a whoppin' 76 cents per year.

Here's the thing: I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I'm still not topped out...and it really, really bothers me.

After the new Express "10 Step Progression Chart" was implemented a few years ago, I'm now currently on the 8th step and won't arrive at the top out mark ($29.00 in our market) until October of 2021...the end of my 18th year.

I say all that to say this: for the past few years I've spoken to many UPS drivers in my area about the pay, pension, benefits and overall culture of UPS and I've contemplated making the move. All of it -- especially the medical benefits -- blow away Express.

I don't pretend to ignore the fact that UPS works a hell of a lot harder than us folks over at Express, due to the simple fact that UPS is Ground and Air combined and your trucks (for the most part) are way more bulked out than ours.

I realize that I would have to begin in the warehouse/hub and become a package handler for awhile before I would get a crack at being a driver.

I also realize that I would have to give up my 4 weeks of vacation, current seniority, comfort of one route, and take a pay cut in the beginning to cross over to brown, but I'm so fed up (no pun intended) with how much of a gap in pay and benefits there is between the two of us.

According to the UPS drivers around my area, they top out at around $40.00 an hour after 4 years. This is extremely tempting.

My question to all of you is this: would YOU make the switch if you were in MY shoes?

My two cents coming from someone that did make the switch. No way. Do not do it. If you were making 18 bucks an hour I would say yes. Not making $26. Bad move. You’re going to work 15 times as hard for a few extra bucks an hour, and it will take four years to get to that few extra bucks. Remember something, the union sold out future employees. You will never make what employees hired prior to the last contract make. You will be a second class citizen in pay and workload, and schedule days off. Do not do it. Not even close to worth it. I did it a long time ago and the only reason I did was I was making $18.68 an hour when I left. From day one at UPS I made more than almost ten years at Fed ex. Now making $38 an hour. You would be making a major mistake if you tried to switch over. And there’s no guarantee you would even be kept on after peak.

Gone fishin

Feeder is almost all night work. All of the guys I know working days have very high seniority. Overall, though, why trade scab slavery and crap pay and benefits for excellent pay, benefits, AND a real pension that actually provides a decent level of retirement income? I've done Holiday Feeder work before and the hours suck. Running the rail yards and local work aren't bad, but the longer runs are pretty decent, once you get past the impact on your day life.

It really isn't much worse than reporting for work at FedEx at 0300 and then going to bed at 1800. Both are disruptive to normal family life and relationships. The difference is that at UPS you actually make a decent living.
All depends on your situation. I’m great at 80 grand. My spouse does very well. I’m home by 4 every day. I work to live , not live to work

whenIgetthere

View attachment 281737

Not topped out after 16, how about not topped out after 20, and being step 7 (not that that matters anymore). Work with a lot of employees with more time than me who aren't topped out, either.

zeev

Not topped out after 16, how about not topped out after 20, and being step 7 (not that that matters anymore). Work with a lot of employees with more time than me who aren't topped out, either.
You are in a tough spot with 16 years but changes are coming the virus delayed the switch to Ground but they will follow through when volumes get back to normal. Freddy wants last mile Ground wages and he does not care about your lifestyle. That’s why the pilots have always been organized.

How does does someone work for a company for 16 years and not top out? That's crazy.
At USPS you can work 20 years as a rural carrier and not even start moving to the top. I have 16 years in at USPS and only 10 count since the first six as an RCA don't count. Will be about 8 years before I top out. If I retire now at 62, my USPS pension will be slightly under $600 per month.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
At USPS you can work 20 years as a rural carrier and not even start moving to the top. I have 16 years in at USPS and only 10 count since the first six as an RCA don't count. Will be about 8 years before I top out. If I retire now at 62, my USPS pension will be slightly under $600 per month.
$600?!?! WTH are you supposed to do with that!?