TCD questions

I have several questions but before I get started I want to give a general background...
I started working at UPS a year ago, started out in unload then after 6-7 months I became a tender and recently signed a bid sheet for TCD - temporary cover driver which I got called and went through the training class. The past 2 weeks I've been out with supervisors but only 2 days a week I drive and the rest are working in the hub. I only got to drive by myself the 4th day.

My questions:
1) how many days should a TCD be working in terms of driving each week? 2 days isn't much really..
2) how does someone become a full time driver (I know it's early but can't find straight answers)? and how does the pay change? *I'm making $29.25/hr as TCD starting out
3) do drivers work on Saturdays? I heard some do, and if so, can TCD's work Saturday?
4) when I'm not driving I am told to work in the hub and send the working times to someone on the drivers side to make adjustments, now when I work in the hub, shouldn't I go back to tender which was the position before I became a TCD instead of unload? Because I got thrown in unload. And if I'm supposed to be back as a tender but the supervisor won't put me back there then should I let the union know?
5) how long does it take for someone to become a full time driver and how does it happen? Does the manager ask us or do we ask them?
6) what's the top pay these days for drivers?
7) how do I request overtime work as TCD or full time driver? I'm trying to make as much money as possible since I'm not married and I need to save up for marriage/house/etc..
8) what should be my next steps to move forward as a TCD? Gain seniority and become full time driver, choose my own route etc

Any help appreciated this is important to me, thank you.

McGee

Wut?

4) work as directed... That's all I got for ya, I'm sure you will get the rest answered by others.

And by the way, what's a tender?

T

Turdferguson

Wut?

4) work as directed... That's all I got for ya, I'm sure you will get the rest answered by others.

And by the way, what's a tender?
Tenders.jpg

QualityLoads

1) youll work as tcd anywhere from 0-6 days. The only day you can count on is saturday if you want it. Youll get 5 days during peak if you an hold your own and the volume is there.
2) remember when you signed the tcd bid sheet? Put in enough years and Sign the full time bid sheet to go full time.
3) they would love you to work saturdays. Youll be making about $30 less dollars an hour than a full timer working on saturdays.
4) i would ask the union on this one.
5) anywhere from 3-12 years depending on the buildings needs, sign the full time bid sheet.
6) i beilive it depends on your area but youll be making $50+ in overtime at top pay.
7) let your supervisors know that you want overtime. Also when you finish your day, before heading back, call your supervisor and ask for more work. Chances are another driver needs help with pickups or stops and management is trying to figure out who to send. Call them and theyll be kissing your feet all night.
8) get as much knowledge of the routes as you can. Treat management with a positive attitude and respect, even if you want to rip thier heads off. Respect your senior drivers and find a way to help them out if you can. You gain the respect of a senior driver and he wont hesitate to give you knowledge on routes and advice when you find yourself in a sticky situation. I cant tell you how much other drivers have helped my career, dont expect management to show you the way, ask a driver. Start introducing yourself to drivers and getting phone numbers.

Good luck and get ready for hell the next few months. one day youll catch yourself driving the big brown truck and start laughing about all the money your making once the job becomes second nature.

Hope this helps i was in your shoes last year.

Thank you I will go with that, and from what I was told since it's a new hub that opened last year and I was in it since day 1; there will be several drivers retiring and a supervisor moving up to manager position since manager will also retire so I heard there may be chance for full time positions.
Also another question, I know overtime pay is 1.5x normal pay, how does it change on holidays?

And tender is a position to watch the belt leading to load for any packages not supposed to be on it sent by unload such as hazmats, irregs, over 70s, open packages, over goods etc to make sure nothing breaks the belt and the next areas stay safe instead of having a hazmat for example go through and get crushed in the process which can be extremely harmful. The building is fully automated and here are 5 tenders total, 4 are on separate belts. 3 of which come from each of the unloads we have (3 unloads), the other belt is a recycle belt and the 5th tender helps with other stuff like tracking hazmats that come through, clear the chutes (of packages we picked up not supposed to be on there), helps clear jams, etc.

The building is in the process of expanding by next month but that's what a tender is although those other tenders above do too ;)

Thanks for the info btw I'll sure do my best to get the time in

billerz

Fully automated building... Wth

Sounds like you are gonna have it pretty easy over there man. How do they go about loading package cars, do they have guys pickoff and loaders or do they have robots?

Btw congrats on driving 8)

No robots there lol, basically when I say automated I mean everything gets scanned and sent without issues and way more advanced technology than previous buildings I went to. But guys pick packages and load them in the cars. But everything else once unloaded is scanned and sent to destinations without anyone watching them. Then loaded by others. The only times people touch packages is unload, load, and irregs. Small sort not much it all gets filled by itself in bags and all you do is throw the label on the bag then put the bag on the belt.

It's way better than the old buildings but their expectations are way higher. More volume and we were operating only half the building now they are building the rest of the building up and it's crazy.

UPSGUY72

IMO there should be no TCD only FT cover drivers. TCD just get used and abused which isn't right and they not guaranteed any driving hours.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I both agree and disagree with the two previous posts.

TCD's are an essential part of the operation; however, PT is right in that the more TCD's you have the fewer FTers you have and the longer you have to work before you can retire.

PT Car Washer

That's fine. Just make a few jobs and give people a chance to have a good job

They are already paying the price for all the rookies. Accidents are way up.all from the new guys,except for a few hit while parked.
UPS makes the Art. 22.3 jobs as terrible as they can. Unload on midnight and load on preload with a 1 1/2 to 2 hour break in between.

McGee

="UnleashTHEBrownie, post: 1884854, member: 60505" days?

And tender is a position to watch the belt leading to load for any packages not supposed to be on it sent by unload such as hazmats, irregs, over 70s, open packages, over goods etc to make sure nothing breaks the belt and the next areas stay safe instead of having a hazmat for example go through and get crushed in the process which can be extremely harmful. The building is fully automated and here are 5 tenders total, 4 are on separate belts. 3 of which come from each of the unloads we have (3 unloads), the other belt is a recycle belt and the 5th tender helps with other stuff like tracking hazmats that come through, clear the chutes (of packages we picked up not supposed to be on there), helps clear jams, etc.

Thanks for the clarification, never heard of it until now...