TCD questions

PT Car Washer

If the bid is posted, yes, you can sign it.

Who knows, if you are the only signatory, you might just get it.
There is a Feeder intent bid sheet up right now in my building. One year safe driving in the package car driver classification is the pre requirement. PT irreg tram cart driver signed it because "sign every bid". He scratched out his name when he found out how stupid he would look. I do agree sign a bid sheet you are qualified for no matter how many people are ahead of you in seniority.

That's what I'll do then, hope it won't take long and not many sign it with more seniority than me lol need that position pretty bad...sucks there wasn't any other way to get into it though.

9.5 everyday

TCD's get credit for hours and days they drive towards progression, so it could last 20 years but you will eventually top out. There's a formula of some kind. I'm too lazy to look it up. ;)
My buddy drove 6 months a year, then worked inside the other 6 months. We call them reg-temps. All drive time counts towards your progression. When he finally won a FT driving bid, he was at top scale.

My buddy drove 6 months a year, then worked inside the other 6 months. We call them reg-temps. All drive time counts towards your progression. When he finally won a FT driving bid, he was at top scale.
How long did it take for him to go FT? and the other 6 months not driving did he go back to do what his normal job was or did they throw him some place else in the hub?

9.5 everyday

How long did it take for him to go FT? and the other 6 months not driving did he go back to do what his normal job was or did they throw him some place else in the hub?
It took 4 seasons. It when our contract was 2.5 year progression. He went back in the hub and retained his previous position.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
If they are working year round, why are they called "temporary cover drivers" and not permanent FT drivers?
Good question. Guess it was easier to get it slipped into the contract that way.
Technically if TCD's don't get work they can work their part time inside shift, although no one does.
Obviously UPS is using TCD's to avoid making full time positions. If a TCD works 156 reports in a year a grievance can be filed to create a FT position. The problem is that position doesn't necessarily go to the TCD that filed it, it's put up for bid to all employees. So filing that grievance could put yourself out of work.

Last edited:

clutch817

If your a tcd I feel alike seniority should be the date you started tcd and made your packet... I made my packet in September and it was time for me to go full time but a guy who's been there a month longer decided to go straight from the hub into full time skipped right over me... now it could be another year or several until I get another chance to go ft... I almost said :censored2: it and dq'd myself cause it piss ed me off... but I decided to ride it out.. even though I won't be driving 5 days a week like I was.. it will be may e 1 or 2 at best... this senority :censored2: is for the birds man... best advice I got is don't kill yourself trying to make a good name for yourself bro... doesn't matter how hard you work or what you do right... ALL that matters is how long you been there and if it's your turn

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
If your a tcd I feel alike seniority should be the date you started tcd and made your packet... I made my packet in September and it was time for me to go full time but a guy who's been there a month longer decided to go straight from the hub into full time skipped right over me... now it could be another year or several until I get another chance to go ft... I almost said :censored2: it and dq'd myself cause it piss ed me off... but I decided to ride it out.. even though I won't be driving 5 days a week like I was.. it will be may e 1 or 2 at best... this senority :censored2: is for the birds man... best advice I got is don't kill yourself trying to make a good name for yourself bro... doesn't matter how hard you work or what you do right... ALL that matters is how long you been there and if it's your turn
So a guy who has more P/T seniority got to go full time before you. What's the issue?

35years

Gravy route
1. My question here also is if someone from another hub came to this new hub after me but they have been with ups at another hub longer, would they have more seniority than me because they have been with ups longer or will I have more seniority because I've been at this location longer? Is it hub based or ups/career time based is what I'm getting at
Around here if someone transfers into a new hub their seniority is dovetailed with all other part time union workers...So yes, the other guy(s) would have more seniority than you if they made seniority before you.

You may have a good situation for your chances at going driving soon at your hub, or it may be just the opposite. If there are fewer part timers, because of automation, your wait may be less. However, since it is a new hub, there may be agreements with the local union that allow part timers at other buildings to bid on routes based out of your hub, which would make your wait longer.

Usually the only qualifications to sign a package car bid are a clean driving record and that you are above a certain age. Good luck, sign every bid you are qualified to sign. Many times the one who wins the bid will not make it, and it will go to the next in line, then the next in line, etc.