Telematics...UPS is wiring your truck

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
...It's not a great feeling knowing that your being watched all day , but my boss doesn't do anything that helps drivers or UPS so maybe he feels important now! Safety First

And that, my friends, pretty much sums up the current enviornment at UPS.

The fear among management people in my building is palpable. You can feel it in the air. We have had significant layoffs of drivers, and at some point very soon Corporate is going to start trimming the fat off of the supervisory ranks. And, unlike us, there is no seniority or contract for the sups to fall back on when the knife comes out. So its basically a game of musical chairs for them, with the loser being unemployed every time Corporate shuts the music off.

Fearful management is like a dog that pees on your carpet. They will always revert back to their instinctive behavior, which in this case is to try and justify their own continued employment by generating reams of paperwork and issuing vast numbers of warning letters to their people. They will seek out trivial statistics and then micromanage them in order to be able to document some sort of "improvement" in their small piece of the operation. They are basically running around and rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic in the hopes of guranteeing themselves a seat in the lifeboat.

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
I hope you didn't take my question as busting your chops. It was not intended that way. It was just my way of planting a seed of doubt about leaving the key in the bulkhead door.
BBS- I'm cool. Like many other drivers, we all have or had our bad habits. The key in the door was on of them for me. I have since broken myself of it. It took a 3 day ride w/ a SOB on-road, but the truck is secure when I leave it. Thanks for the thought though!:peaceful:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
BBS- I'm cool. Like many other drivers, we all have or had our bad habits. The key in the door was on of them for me. I have since broken myself of it. It took a 3 day ride w/ a SOB on-road, but the truck is secure when I leave it. Thanks for the thought though!:peaceful:

We had a driver go out with our "s.o.b." on road. This driver parked with the passenger side hanging over a run off ditch. The on road slid into the ditch when he exited the pc.

Hey PoiM? Are there 2 Paid overs in Maine?

No such person

Southern Ct.
They spent 80 mil on telematics, but I still drive a POS 800 with a lap belt and a defroster that hasn't worked for two weeks. ( part on order, OK for service )

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
They spent 80 mil on telematics, but I still drive a POS 800 with a lap belt and a defroster that hasn't worked for two weeks. ( part on order, OK for service )

I drove all of peak without an odometer/speedometer, parts on order. When asked by my DIAD for my mileage at the end of the day, I put the amount of miles I "thought" I drove.

Big Babooba

Well thanks to telematics, your POS 800 has a new lap belt. It had to be replaced with one that has sensors. I was told by a mechanic that they wouldn't upgrade to a 3 point belt because that would be considered altering the vehicle. Go figure.:dissapointed:

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
Its interesting that rather than attack my thoughts and logic, you choose to attack me.

I've been at UPS 33+ years. I've worked in many operations, districts and a couple of regions. I speak with drivers many, many times per week, and I listen to their problems. The vast majority are absolutely outstanding with great insight.

I cannot do your job as well as you.

But I do know my job, and I know it well. As Casey preached, I tell the truth and my actions follow my words.

Its your choice whether you do anything with the information I provide.

P-Man

With all that said, you STILL just don't get it, I wish you guys would drive for a few month at least six then maybe you could be considered to know something and not just living in a fantasyland.

I drove all of peak without an odometer/speedometer, parts on order. When asked by my DIAD for my mileage at the end of the day, I put the amount of miles I "thought" I drove.
Steve, I want to suggest to you that any time you have to estimate miles do so ONLY if you center manager gives you permission in writing to do so. We had three drivers terminated for just that. Two of them got their jobs back after 3 months of grievance procedures without any back pay. The third one didn't get to come back period. The difference was the verbal permission given by the center manager and the two that came back we inputting more realistic est. miles than number three.

BTW, all three drivers were 20+ year guys.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Guys do your job! As a steward i am all for this! Close your bulkhead door, buckle your seat belt, and start the car at every stop.

From what i have heard telematics can also be used in our favor. It can tell how hard the brakes were applied, which we can use to fight accidents being charged to the driver, that is if your were using the methods of course.

This is going to hurt the runner and gunners more than anyone else, for those of you that already do it by the book, congrats. You do not save that much time by leaving your bulkhead open, and anyone that does, you know packages have fallen out of the truck at some point or another because of it.

When you leave the truck running the chance of a roll away increases, and in case you were not aware a roll away is a terminating offense. Not to mention what would happen to you if that roll away ran over kids playing near by.

There was just a video on here several months ago were a non ups driver flipped his truck and we saw him get ejected and than rolled over by his own truck. Wear you dam seat belts!

Remember they can not use this to disipline you, however they can see that you are not doing it right and then come out and physically observe you.

Remember they can not use this to disipline you, however they can see that you are not doing it right and then come out and physically observe you.
Also, they can probably use this to show a pattern at panel to help prove their case against you.

pretzel_man

I guess the next logical question would be, how long did you drive and how long ago?

Steve,

I answered this already. I didn't drive long. It was 28 years ago. I wasn't a great driver (but I was improving).

My point before was (and still is), my driving credentials have nothing to do with the accuracy of what I posted here.

P-Man

705red

Browncafe Steward
Also, they can probably use this to show a pattern at panel to help prove their case against you.

If you are doing it by the book, what worries would one have? If you make a mistake admit it, take your lumps and move on, learning from it.

To error is human!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Steve,

I answered this already. I didn't drive long. It was 28 years ago. I wasn't a great driver (but I was improving).

My point before was (and still is), my driving credentials have nothing to do with the accuracy of what I posted here.

P-Man

No worries P-Man, just wanted to know. I've read your posts and they sound spot on.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Steve,

P-Man

I am not one of those people who thinks that its necessary for a supervisor to be as skilled as I am at driving in order to be an effective manager.

In order to have credibility with me, a supervisor must at a minimum be able to demonstrate a basic understanding of the methods he wants me to follow.

The problem I have with I.E. in particular is the total lack of accountability in regards to timestudies. An I.E. team shows up at a center, does its studies, and leaves the management team and the drivers to cope with the resulting chaos and impossible expectations.

I would like to see a requirement that an I.E. team that does a study on a given center must then manage that center under the new allowances that they have created. I suspect that this would create a level of accuracy and attention to detail on the part of the I.E. team that has previously been lacking. We tend to take extra care when making a bed that we ourselves will be sleeping in.