Telematics...UPS is wiring your truck

bad company

semi-pro
It's a good thing you guys like to drive on the wrong side of the road and sit on the wrong side of the car... hope the driver is doing ok.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I must, of course, point out the fact that the vehicle had a 3 point seatbelt. Had that collision occured in an old P-5 or P10 with only a lap belt, the drivers head would have gone thru the windshield and his brains would be smeared all over the hood.
It is such a relief to know that UPS cares so much for our safety that they will replace the useless 2 point belt in an old car with an identical 2 point belt that is wired into the Telematics system. UPS doesnt give a rats ass whether the belt saves your life or not, a long as they can try to fire you for not wearing it.

UPSNewbie

I must, of course, point out the fact that the vehicle had a 3 point seatbelt. Had that collision occured in an old P-5 or P10 with only a lap belt, the drivers head would have gone thru the windshield and his brains would be smeared all over the hood.
It is such a relief to know that UPS cares so much for our safety that they will replace the useless 2 point belt in an old car with an identical 2 point belt that is wired into the Telematics system. UPS doesnt give a rats ass whether the belt saves your life or not, a long as they can try to fire you for not wearing it.

I could be blowing smoke, and talking out of my ass at the same time, but if they remove the 2-point seat belt, would it still be "grandfathered" in? Shouldn't that change the whole stance?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I could be blowing smoke, and talking out of my ass at the same time, but if they remove the 2-point seat belt, would it still be "grandfathered" in? Shouldn't that change the whole stance?

No. Because they are replacing it with identical equipment. The stance only changes if they put in something different.

Like a shower.

d

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I asked our mechanic about installing a 3 point seat belt. He attempted to do it, but couldn't anchor the upper left part to the bulkhead door frame.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I asked our mechanic about installing a 3 point seat belt. He attempted to do it, but couldn't anchor the upper left part to the bulkhead door frame.

Thats one of the problems with upgrading older cars with a newer design, besides the legal issues. The older cars have an aluminum door frame, as do the new ones. Not very strong to attach the over your shoulder mount. I noticed today on my newer P7, it has a steel bracket that is bolted to the inside of the wall where the bulkhead wall joins. The upper seat belt is mounted to this steel bracket. The jumpseat has a three point belt too, but it looked like it was bolted to the bulkhead wall with no steel bracket.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Thats one of the problems with upgrading older cars with a newer design, besides the legal issues. The older cars have an aluminum door frame, as do the new ones. Not very strong to attach the over your shoulder mount. I noticed today on my newer P7, it has a steel bracket that is bolted to the inside of the wall where the bulkhead wall joins. The upper seat belt is mounted to this steel bracket. The jumpseat has a three point belt too, but it looked like it was bolted to the bulkhead wall with no steel bracket.

Ahh, what the heck, they're expendable.

Red Dawn

all new work horse truck wired and Dallas hub goes live next week..lol and they wonder why everyone wants a 22.3 job :)

mpeedy

We are online with this system. A few of us used to eat lunch together everyday. We were informed that we can't do this anymore. We can't go off route because we are wasting the center manager's gas, as he put it. So we now bag our lunch and eat it in our package cars on route with the engine running. It is too cold to eat with the heater off. I now use a little more gas than usual and haven't heard anything from the center manager so far.

We are online with this system. A few of us used to eat lunch together everyday. We were informed that we can't do this anymore. We can't go off route because we are wasting the center manager's gas, as he put it. So we now bag our lunch and eat it in our package cars on route with the engine running. It is too cold to eat with the heater off. I now use a little more gas than usual and haven't heard anything from the center manager so far.
Once they pick up on the fact that you are idling your truck while you are logged out for lunch, they will be all over you for that too. They just haven't noticed it yet.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Once they pick up on the fact that you are idling your truck while you are logged out for lunch, they will be all over you for that too. They just haven't noticed it yet.

I'm in the middle of a residential area during lunch. If its cold, I'm leaving the car running. I have no other choice.
If they make a fuss, I will turn car on and off 30 times so heater stays hot.

BINGO

I'm in the middle of a residential area during lunch. If its cold, I'm leaving the car running. I have no other choice.
If they make a fuss, I will turn car on and off 30 times so heater stays hot.

BINGO
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying they would be right in doing this, just that they probably will.
I won't set in a cold package car to eat lunch either.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying they would be right in doing this, just that they probably will.
I won't set in a cold package car to eat lunch either.

I understood where you were coming from.

I said 30 times, but probably I would do it 5-6. Once that heater is off, the truck gets cold damn quick. We all don't have a leg to stand on if you leave it running during the summer. You can just turn the key to let the fan run.

Leaving the car running while taking lunch in the winter should be the price of doing business, not an extra safety issue. If they complain about it running for 60 minutes, then I'll make it run for 6 - 10 minute periods in a row. either way I will win. Not eating lunch in the cold. And I'm not going to drive 5 miles to a fast food restaurant when I bring my own lunch to work.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Not sure about other contracts, but there is some language in ours about off area lunch. As long as it is not across town.......

Here, as long as you do the job, keep your nose clean, you can travel 5-6 miles off area no problem. Further if there is no place to eat during lunch. But not to be abused.

Lunch is where you GET OUT OF YOUR TRUCK, FORGET UPS EXISTS, AND HAVE SOME DOWN TIME. Clear enough? Its your time. And lunch starts when the key comes out of the car, not when you head to lunch.

d

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Not sure about other contracts, but there is some language in ours about off area lunch. As long as it is not across town.......

Here, as long as you do the job, keep your nose clean, you can travel 5-6 miles off area no problem. Further if there is no place to eat during lunch. But not to be abused.

Lunch is where you GET OUT OF YOUR TRUCK, FORGET UPS EXISTS, AND HAVE SOME DOWN TIME. Clear enough? Its your time. And lunch starts when the key comes out of the car, not when you head to lunch.

d
Absolutely agree. Even if I am sitting on the floor of my truck, I won't answer ODS's and will only answer customers if directly aproached. Lunch time is MY personal time, not UPS's. I can go up to 1 mile off rte and I don't abuse that (I do, however, push the limit). And the minute a sup starts pushing the issue of when lunch starts I remind them that DOT regulations state (not verbatim) "if I'm in the seat driving I'm on duty". They cannot argue that point, legally or legitamately.

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
Has anyone in the NNE District seen this in their buildings? We have a relatively new fleet (about 2 yrs old) that don't have it, & 2 new trucks with the wiring for it. My mech. said he hasn't heard any talk of it yet, but it's obvious that the newer ones have the sensors on the bulkhead door.

LastBest&Final

To Endeavor To Persevere

Talk to your steward or union BA and see what they think.
If you been always eating lunch together for long enough time, and it not far from your route, tell him you're following past practice. Let the grievance hearing decide if it's excessive distance to drive for a person to have lunch. If the driving distance is great I would tread lightly. I have seen a driver get terminated for padding miles, but it was a heck of a long distance to travel for lunch. Did one of you piss him off some how? I doubt that wasting the center manager's gas is the reason for the change.

pretzel_man

Talk to your steward or union BA and see what they think.
If you been always eating lunch together for long enough time, and it not far from your route, tell him you're following past practice. Let the grievance hearing decide if it's excessive distance to drive for a person to have lunch. If the driving distance is great I would tread lightly. I have seen a driver get terminated for padding miles, but it was a heck of a long distance to travel for lunch. Did one of you piss him off some how? I doubt that wasting the center manager's gas is the reason for the change.

This is good advice. We were told to NOT change our discipline practices for being off area as a result of telematics.

Some districts have past practices that lunch must be taken on area. Others say it must be on trace. Some have allowed some reasonable travel.

P-Man