Telematics...UPS is wiring your truck

HBGPreloader

Although I'm not a driver, this line in one of the provided links would have me real concerned...
"...Telematics started telling us: Don't replace things that don't need to be replaced,..."
In other words, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it?!?!"
Trying to save money by cutting costs is one thing, but not replacing something because it may work beyond it's alloted time is downright frightening! Here's the example used "
... We're talking about an alternator or a belt, and we would replace that just because the allotted time had passed," Levis says."
What's next, the brakes are past their alloted time, but we won't replace them yet because they still stop the vehicle?!?!

Checkers

I thought pretty much the same thing HBGP, there is no way a computer or a calender can predict when a belt is going to fail, or when a bearing is going to freeze up. Only an experienced mechanic looking at the item, listening to it can even come close to that prediction. It's a pretty well documented fact that when you forgo preventative maintenance, you are going to have more road calls. One road call can pay for alot of alternator belts.

barnyard

KTM rider
AWhat's next, the brakes are past their alloted time, but we won't replace them yet because they still stop the vehicle?!?!

Checkers

Nope. The brakes are replaced when the pass a certain thickness. Once it hits that thickness or thiness, they are replaced. There is no point in replacing brakes that are still within spec.

TB

Nope. The brakes are replaced when the pass a certain thickness. Once it hits that thickness or thiness, they are replaced. There is no point in replacing brakes that are still within spec.

TB
There was a time in history that there was a significant amount of work involved in even checking the breaks, especially on vehicles such as ours. Once you have them apart at a certain mileage, if they wont last to the next interval it is cheaper to replace them even if they haven't reached the magic measure of thickness. By replacing them a little ahead of time you save on drum/rotor wear and tear and avoid the labor of a second removal.

Big Babooba

There was a time in history that there was a significant amount of work involved in even checking the breaks, especially on vehicles such as ours. Once you have them apart at a certain mileage, if they wont last to the next interval it is cheaper to replace them even if they haven't reached the magic measure of thickness. By replacing them a little ahead of time you save on drum/rotor wear and tear and avoid the labor of a second removal.
Now that makes too much sense. We can't your type working around here with your radical ideas! Now drink the Kool-Ade, sit yourself in the lotus position and recite the mantra....Tel-e-mat-ics. :sick:

pretzel_man

Although I'm not a driver, this line in one of the provided links would have me real concerned...
"...Telematics started telling us: Don't replace things that don't need to be replaced,..."
In other words, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it?!?!"
Trying to save money by cutting costs is one thing, but not replacing something because it may work beyond it's alloted time is downright frightening! Here's the example used "
... We're talking about an alternator or a belt, and we would replace that just because the allotted time had passed," Levis says."
What's next, the brakes are past their alloted time, but we won't replace them yet because they still stop the vehicle?!?!

Checkers

Telematics does NOT do what your are alluding.

How long should a starter last? An alternator? UPS pioneered preventative maintenance. We came up with a time based system for determining when a part would be replaced. This system of PMI has served us well, but....

PMI causes us to replace parts that are just fine. Should a starter be replaced based on time or based on number of starts? Telematics begins measuring things like this.

Also, our automotive engineers measure many, many sensors in the engine. A precursor to an alternator failure is a change in some measurements.

By monitoring these elements, the vehicle tells the mechanic that a failure is going to happen. This allows parts to be replaced when they need to. Not before or after.

In telematics sites, breakdowns are reduced as well as parts usage. Seems like a good thing to me.

P-Man

Big Babooba

How long should a starter last? An alternator? UPS pioneered preventative maintenance. We came up with a time based system for determining when a part would be replaced. This system of PMI has served us well, but....

PMI causes us to replace parts that are just fine. Should a starter be replaced based on time or based on number of starts? Telematics begins measuring things like this.

Also, our automotive engineers measure many, many sensors in the engine. A precursor to an alternator failure is a change in some measurements.

By monitoring these elements, the vehicle tells the mechanic that a failure is going to happen. This allows parts to be replaced when they need to. Not before or after.

In telematics sites, breakdowns are reduced as well as parts usage. Seems like a good thing to me.

P-Man
Can Telematics tell the mechanic that it (Telematics) is about to fail?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
How about if telematics controlled the speed you drive at. For instance, here on US1 the speed is 45mph on the avg. Can they program it to go no faster than, say 55mph? Or program it for daytime driving lights?

705red

Browncafe Steward

P-Man
Its funny, every time my truck goes in for a pmi, it usually breaks down within 2 weeks. Guess they missed something?

Big Babooba

Good thing they are wiring up the bulk head doors though... dont want them to go bad and break
It's been done. It's not easy to do, but it's been done. My mechanic taught me a whole bunch of new swear words that day as he used his large adjustment tool.....er sledgehammer....to fix it.:biting:

S

speeddemon

Steve,

I answered this already. I didn't drive long. It was 28 years ago. I wasn't a great driver (but I was improving).

My point before was (and still is), my driving credentials have nothing to do with the accuracy of what I posted here.

P-Man

And my point being, just becuase you have an opinion that your information is so helpful, is just that, you opinion. You honestly have to drive several years to really get seasoned as a driver and experience the full array of situations the job brings. There is such a gap of understanding between the pencil pushers of this company and the hourly workers.

Sorry P-Man this statement''... We're talking about an alternator or a belt, and we would replace that just because the allotted time had passed," Levis says." kinda shows that is indeed the goal.

I would be very interested in the history of preventative maintenance in UPS, when did they actually start a designed program and how it evolved.
I was working as a fleet mechanic for a linen company when UPS first came to our city. I was interviewed for the first mechanic job here, but turned it down on the third interview mainly because it was a night job. I had 6 years of PM experience under my belt. When I asked if they practiced PM, the answer was " Sort of ".
BTW, in the 6 years we had three road calls that we not driver error. All three were on the same model and make truck, a manufacturing flaw in the engine.

A time (only) based system is not good without a usage/mileage factor. Utilizing all the factors, time-mileage-usage-mechanic experience are what keeps PCs on the road without road calls. Micro managing the mechanics duties is (in part)what causes just fine parts to be replaced.

I would be interested in knowing where these sensors are and what they measure. What measurement indicates an alternator failure?

For some items on a vehicle I can see this happening, but not overall.

IMHO, We haven't had telematics up and running nation wide near long enough to be able to really rely on what is now known.

P-Man

Tiny Panda

there have been accidents where the bulkhead door has been ripped half open in a head on accident, propably not in a resi area, but on the freeway.Its really for your own protection. And I never really understood why some drivers are so obsessed about keeping the door open, you dont save that much time. And how many of you have ever had the door open and had something slide out the back and out the side door, it happens!

This accident was a head on with a bus at around 70mph, it buckled the bulk head door and the force of the packages hitting the bulkhead broke the welds around the bulkhead itself, imagine the carnage if the door was open.

Tiny Panda

Driver was fine although later sacked and charged with dangerous driving, lost control on a bend going too fast, crossed lanes and hit bus. Thankfully it was his passenger side that took the brunt of it as he wouldnt be alive if it hit drivers side