Telematics...UPS is wiring your truck

UPSNewbie

the company monitoring your seat belt usage? whats wrong with that. Good chance it will force people to weat their seat belts and thus save some lives.

You asked "so what you're saying is the company is doing a good thing by putting in a system that tells them who is and is not wearing the seat belt?" and I'm asking if he said anything to contradict that?

tieguy

Banned
You asked "so what you're saying is the company is doing a good thing by putting in a system that tells them who is and is not wearing the seat belt?" and I'm asking if he said anything to contradict that?

Being a mechanic, I know that telematics isn't going to prevent a death in an auto accident if the driver doesn't wear his/her seat belt!

in a way he does. its kind of but backwards but his point is somewhat contradicted by the idea that telematics is meant to give management the auditing ability to ensure all drivers are wearing thier seatbelt. Perhaps we're both kind of saying the same thing. Issue of semantics?

UPSNewbie

Being a mechanic, I know that telematics isn't going to prevent a death in an auto accident if the driver doesn't wear his/her seat belt!

in a way he does. its kind of but backwards but his point is somewhat contradicted by the idea that telematics is meant to give management the auditing ability to ensure all drivers are wearing thier seatbelt. Perhaps we're both kind of saying the same thing. Issue of semantics?

Most likely. I read it as "managment won't be able to save lives/injury in real time, but people will fear for themselves to prevent harassment.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

after a hundred years of automobile people still dont fear

...in fact, with all of the advances in automobile safety, people have become even more complacent--couple that with all of the distractions (cell phones, eating, reading newspaper, putting on makeup, etc) and seat belt use becomes even that much more important.

Seat belt is mandatory in the military and that is why I am so adamant about wearing seat belts whenever I am behind the wheel of whatever vehicle I am driving and when I have a helper on the pkg car.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
the company monitoring your seat belt usage? whats wrong with that. Good chance it will force people to weat their seat belts and thus save some lives.

In the older cars, the only thing that belt will accomplish is to keep the drivers body inside the vehicle. He will still be dead from the force of his skull going thru the windshield. As long as he was up-to-date on his Keter assessments and 10 pt commentary, all will still be right in the UPS world.

tieguy

Banned
In the older cars, the only thing that belt will accomplish is to keep the drivers body inside the vehicle. He will still be dead from the force of his skull going thru the windshield. As long as he was up-to-date on his Keter assessments and 10 pt commentary, all will still be right in the UPS world.

We've had quite a few drivers found upside down and alive thanks to the seat belts in those older package cars. In fact I don't know of any single driver who died in an older car while wearing his seat belt.

tieguy

Banned
are lap belts safe?

Again all thats interesting but I still don't know of anyone dying in a ups vehicle with his seatbelt on.

In assessing the lap belts performance you also have to assess the design of the vehicle in how it deflects the effects of impact.

The lap belt was an improvement over no seat belt and was in place for many years before the three point came along.

Todays vehicles not only have the three point but also supplement with air bags thus one could make the arguement that the three point was also found lacking something.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The way the company talks safety non stop you would think they would be the first to use all new safety improvements no matter the cost. Only when a new law is passed or under Union pressure do they react. There is no actual UPS commitment to safety. We all know it, Union and Mgmt alike.

The way the company talks safety non stop you would think they would be the first to use all new safety improvements no matter the cost. Only when a new law is passed or under Union pressure do they react. There is no actual UPS commitment to safety. We all know it, Union and Mgmt alike.
Good post BrownMonster.
I don't think anyone believes that no seat belt at all is better than just a lap belt, just as no one can logically argue a three point is not needed. I guess in some accidents there is nothing you can do to save a life. The whole argument is pretty much as you stated, UPS doesn't do anything to actually improve that part of safety until mandated by law, which kinda takes away their claim that safety is their number one concern.

tieguy

Banned

Brownie I think you should rethink that point. If you do an honest evaluation of the older vehicles in your building and compare them to the newest ones I think you'll see many safety improvements implemented over the years. (whats that did someone say we have automatic package cars?) Better yet stop a shop supervisor or mechanic thats been around a while and ask him to tell you about all the safety improvements we have desgined into our fleet. We are a corporation though design changes and implementation moves slowly.

705red

Browncafe Steward
In 2009, Telematics is being installed in one center per district. Its also being installed in a full district (South New England). As far as I know, that plan is unchanged.

There is no approval for deployment beyond that yet. They will look at the results and then decide if, when, and how fast the remaining sites deploy.

P-Man

Maybe they should put a hold on telematics with all the cut bcaks and spend the money to fix all the trukcs that are on hold!

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
The day they install a camera in my cab is the day I start putting a booger on the lens every morning.

I'm sure they will pressure everyone into including no obstructions on the camera lens into our pretrips. I had a safety ride last month and they wrote me up because I didn't pretrip the volume on the backing monitor.

I'm in the SNE district and I rarely wore my seatbelt and left my bulkhead door open all the time. Now that it is being watched, I put it on 100% of the time and have bulkhead closed all the time. It took a couple weeks to get used to it but it becomes second nature.

MechanicForBrown

Prblm found,part on order
so what you're saying is the company is doing a good thing by putting in a system that tells them who is and is not wearing the seat belt? Yes i am saying that! I think it is a good idea.

I find the brother line interesting would you be less sorry if it were someone other then a brother? If not then why use the brother line? I used Brother because of him being a driver obviously in the IBT, I am not in the IBT but rather the IAM and I generally refer to other union members as Brothers. Would I be less sorry if he wasn't a Brother? Not at all, its a tragedy no matter who died! Again I don't always have it in for management!!:wink2:

It can prevent deaths, immediately no, but people are creatures of habit. If you correct them doing something wrong they gain that habit.
This is true drew! " Practice makes permanent "

not sure what he was referring to in between all the lectures derived from his 17 years of wisdom derived from living on this earth. :happy-very: What do you mean? where did you come up with 17 years? and lectures? I prefer Opinions!:happy-very:

But if he was referring to some brother suffering the consequences of not wearing a seat belt then I hope he was not sorry it happened simply because he considered the guy part of a brotherhood.

his phrasing whether intended or not seems to indicate he derived sorry from the event only because the guy was part of his brotherhood.
I apologize if your offended Mr. Tie, I did not mean it as such! And again not my exact brotherhood.
I think humanity may perhaps supersede brotherhood.

To clear it up a bit, Being a mechanic in the automotive industry, I am exposed to the sad statistics of people not wearing seat belts in a head on crash, side impact, or rear end collision and the outcome of said crashes, the death rate is through the roof! BUT and I say BUT, not all of the time will a seatbelt save ones life in an aforementioned crash! So to recap, telematics is a good system if UPS wants to monitor a drivers use of the seatbelt, after all it is a company rule and should be followed, it might also be a state rule/law as well. Here in Massachusetts its the law for all ages, " Click it or ticket ". But the telematics WILL NOT prevent an accident or a death at any point in the day if the driver chooses to not wear a seat belt or drive improperly because the telematics info CANNOT be seen in REAL TIME. I will agree that over time telematics being used will get more drivers in line with wearing seat belts if they don't already. so I guess you could call it a tool for learning/teaching!:peaceful: