Telematics...UPS is wiring your truck

GUTHREE

Mrs. Smooth
I am curious to know the statistics of UPS drivers being injured/ killed because they were not wearing the seat belt. I know for me, I feel naked in a package car without the seat belt on. I know it's second nature for most drivers . It's the only thing that feels secure for me. Some of the older package cars feel like they have no shocks, and square tires, and the smallest of bumps could throw you out......lol

I just didn't know if this is a waste of company money. If not, then good idea.

tieguy

Banned
I call BS. UPS did not even begin equipping its package cars with power steering until 1992. Either your memory is incorrect or you drove something other than a typical package car.

first car was a 500 that handled sweetly and could fly.

second car was a 600 of which a few are still left in the fleet. Both had power steering.

pretty sure i had those in the mid 80's certainly no later then 87. Sober don't BS if you don't know.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
first car was a 500 that handled sweetly and could fly.

second car was a 600 of which a few are still left in the fleet. Both had power steering.

pretty sure i had those in the mid 80's certainly no later then 87. Sober don't BS if you don't know.

Well I'm "pretty sure" you are remembering incorrectly.

I am in the Oregon district. UPS has all of its new package cars for the western half of the US delivered here because we have no sales tax and vehicle registrations are 1/4 or less the cost of those in other states.

We have always gotten the new vehicles and run them for a year or so to let them depreciate in value before sending them off to other regions. We got a whole bunch of brand shiny new P-500's, both GMC and Ford, back in 1990. They did NOT have power steering. Same deal with the P-800's and P-1000's of that era. P-600's have not been made since 1977, none of them were ever equipped with power steering and there are no longer any still in use. UPS has always placed a 30-year time limit on keeping a vehicle operational, once it turns 30 they ADA it.

The first power-steering vehicles in the UPS fleet came out in 1992 and they were the International diesel P-1000's of the 113,xxx number series.

I once looked at a "catalogue" of the different types of vehicles in the UPS fleet that belonged to a mechanic in our Automotive dept. It clearly showed that none of the package cars made prior to '92 had power steering.

I know I haven't seen ALL of UPS's p500s, but I also know I have never seen one with power steering. The newest one that I remeber checking the year model on was an '89.

tieguy

Banned
Well I'm "pretty sure" you are remembering incorrectly.

I'm sorry you're wrong on this one. I only drove two cars when I delivered the first a 500 and the second a 600. we still have a few 600's left in the fleet I believe they have power steering?

soberups

Ok so now you folks have a range of 89 to 95 here where different buildings got em at different times. Starting to sound like it was an option that some districts ordered and some did not?

Yet I get a BS and I get called a liar for giving you folks what is an honest answer on my part.

And you guys think I'm screwed up?:peaceful:

Individual districts do not design or set specs for package cars. They get what Corporate sends them.

No one is calling you a liar. I just believe your recollection of the facts is incorrect regarding specific dates and equipment.

Please prove me wrong regarding the P-600's. Show me a picture of one. I trust you to be honest and take a current pic.

tieguy

Banned
Individual districts do not design or set specs for package cars. They get what Corporate sends them.

No one is calling you a liar. I just believe your recollection of the facts is incorrect regarding specific dates and equipment.

Please prove me wrong regarding the P-600's. Show me a picture of one. I trust you to be honest and take a current pic.

Individual districts do decide what features they want on the vehicles they order. When I order tractors I have to request jake brakes and twin screws or I get whatever corporate gives me.

your proof is posted on this thread in the wide discrepancy of dates when different posters say they got thier first vehicle with power steering.

Better to argue then to say you're wrong. :happy-very:
another poster with management traits.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm sorry you're wrong on this one. I only drove two cars when I delivered the first a 500 and the second a 600. we still have a few 600's left in the fleet I believe they have power steering?
I drove quite a few 500's and a couple 600's and I don't miss them one bit. Barring the new freightliner/workhorse models(which you are clearly not referring to), I have never seen, or heard of, a 500 or 600 with power steering. I don't think you're a liar, but unless someone can corroborate what you are saying I do believe that you are mistaken.

soberups

The other possibility we may be overlooking is that they did put power steering in Tieguys package car out of pity or because they didnt want to hear him complain.:happy-very:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The other possibility we may be overlooking is that they did put power steering in Tieguys package car out of pity or because they didnt want to hear him complain.:happy-very:

Now that's just ridiculous ... blood-sucking, uncaring UPS management would never do that; no matter how loudly he whined. :biting:

upsdude

Sorry Tie, add me to the 500's and 600's didn't have power steering list.

Speaking of 600's, they should have come equipped with 6 point belts. I had to drive one on the interstate, 30 mile run, truck changed lanes 25 times and i never moved the steering wheel. JUNK!

DS

Fenderbender
Tie may well have had power steering,ups is quite diversified now,and was way back then.I dont think he has any reason to lie.

MechanicForBrown

Prblm found,part on order
Ok so now you folks have a range of 89 to 95 here where different buildings got em at different times. Starting to sound like it was an option that some districts ordered and some did not?

Yet I get a BS and I get called a liar for giving you folks what is an honest answer on my part.

And you guys think I'm screwed up?:peaceful:
So the same could be said about them saying that they didn't have any of those trucks with power steering in their districts, just their honest answers on their part! AS THE TABLE TURNS:wink2:

ok I guess I'm done with it since we now have **** joining the union dog pack. way to kiss their ass hoax.
Not liking a fellow management person that can see through your antics? Or is it that the Hoax doesn't agree with the stuff your coming up with? This reeks of frustration on your part. No? This post of yours here just goes to show that you might have it in for us union folk and think we're the problem huh?
Man do I sound like someone you know or what!!:funny: Oh well, time for redemption, happy holiday!!