Telematics-Whats the REAL reason?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Good morning Heffe

BTM is actually correct. Most drivers never pushed the button, driving down the road with the monitor on full bright at night, and too dark during the day. So since it seems that UPS is trying to make things bullet proof (AKA stupid proof at corp), the light sensor is the answer.

We were working on this issue in safety before I retired. Glad they are finally getting around to it.

d

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Yesterday I drove a car with a new LCD back up monitor instead of the old cathode-ray tube design.

I noticed that when I put the transmission in reverse, a display popped up on the screen that marked off distances behind the car in both meters and feet.

I liked this feature, and I also like the improved picture quality of the LCD screen.

Then it got dark...and I found that the screen was waaay too bright, even when the dimmer was on its highest setting. The glare from the screen was blinding, it made reflections on my eyeglasses, and it significantly impaired my night vision. I wound up having to bend a sheet of paper and clip it to the shroud around the screen in order to cover up the monitor so that I could drive safely. When I got to a place where I needed to back up, I would either rely on my mirrors or reach up and bend the sheet of paper upwards to expose the screen.

If they cant adjust the brightness of the screen, then they need to fabricate some sort of dark-tinted plastic visor that flips down over the screen for nighttime use.

A

anonymous6

To save money and therefore earn more. KISS

"a penny saved is a penny earned." Ben Franklin

packageguy

OK this is just my opinion,and I'm just a driver,like you from what I read.
The shareholders have a problem with controlling costs in operations .
Why does it take one driver 8.5 hrs to do a run and another runs 2.5 hrs over?
Why isn't every day the same as the previous one?
Easy,use google maps to reloop everything to save miles and be more productive.
They are indifferent to the fact that the pre set allowances for drivers running over the allowed time
are set ridiculously high.They long to have a way to control every aspect of the job to reduce costs.
I personally believe that these people think that most of us are time stealing milk the clockers that need to be weeded out.
Telematics is their way of getting one step closer to absolute control.
But...as far as reality goes,the unpredictability of circumstances overrides all predictions.
You asked

You nailed it.....

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We went live on telematics on Monday. Tues, about 1/4 of the drivers were being talked to about seatbelt and bulkhead door events. I wasn't one of them. The only habit that I had to change was rolling up to a stop and releasing seat belt before coming to a complete stop. I started working on this weeks ago. It paid off in spades. :hapydancsmil:

​I think DS has it right on. Now they can use a computer to micro manage even more of what we do on a daily basis.

Brownfrown

We're just live for about a week now. Still in the "figure out what you're doing wrong and fix it now" stage.

No doubt what the reason for TM is. CONTROL. That and the fact that management has always been of the mindset that their people are screwing them 24/7.................. whether it be spending "too much time" at a stop, taking a sick day, or you name it. The ONLY reason drivers do ANYTHING is to screw the company. Just ask any center manager.

I go out & do what I'm supposed to do. So they can KMA with their little brown eyeball in the sky. But it speaks volumes, amid making record profits, that Atlanta would want yet another tool to accuse their grunts of screwing them.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
its easy, to reduce management in the operations level , and another production/harassment tool......btw, remember it was designed as a automotive money saver, that seems to have changed

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Hey guys just remember the phrase "I dont recall" when they ask you aboot the telematics reports minutiae in ur DIAD and in ur cars.
That is i guess unless ur that guy who drives 5miles off area for no good reason.

Make sure you repeat that at the panel...executive session please.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We're just live for about a week now. Still in the "figure out what you're doing wrong and fix it now" stage.

No doubt what the reason for TM is. CONTROL. That and the fact that management has always been of the mindset that their people are screwing them 24/7.................. whether it be spending "too much time" at a stop, taking a sick day, or you name it. The ONLY reason drivers do ANYTHING is to screw the company. Just ask any center manager.

I go out & do what I'm supposed to do. So they can KMA with their little brown eyeball in the sky. But it speaks volumes, amid making record profits, that Atlanta would want yet another tool to accuse their grunts of screwing them.
I looked at my tele report yesterday morning. It had a SB error. LOL That's what we are getting this week. this and that ain't workin right.

old levi's

blank space
They won't be happy until we have been almost reduced to machines.

By the way: Machine don't give a smile* about anything.
So keep piling on those rules and restrictions.

Cobra Agent

Mandalorian
Telematics actually saved my job when I was "fired" for integrity issues. I did not sheet the pkg as closed between 12-1 as instructed, I then drove to the other part of my "split rt" and remembered to sheet it as closed before 5. (salon closed on monday) I was fired without any warning because they said I did not drive all the way back to the original stop to sheet it in front of the stop. This was ridiculous as I was never trained to do this, I was trained to just sheet it before 5. I told them pull it up on your reports it will show I did what I said I did, and that was what I was trained to do. I was back to work 3 days later and now I always drive back to the stop, 5, 15, even 20 miles away I drive back and sheet it in front of the shop.

But another time I was delivering in an area unfamiliar to me, this was after a major hurricane. No electricity, came to a four way stop I stopped went through two lanes of traffic stopped before proceeding through the next two lanes and was then rear ended. Come to find out someone stole all 4 stop signs at a 4 way stop and kid you not I was ticketed because the cop said I did not stop. Of course no telematic report could be issued to me showing anything at all. I was charged with the accident went to court fought it and won. The lady who hit me had no insurance and expired tags and the ******* cop refused to even shake my hand!!! But I was charged and they WOULD NOT HELP ME AT ALL.

Do your job and dont worry about telematics if they want to fire you they will find something to fire you for. Really It doesnt matter, if you are right, wrong it doesnt matter. Are they over their quota for the month then they can make it disappear. I was backed into at a commercial stop customer said they were wrong, police said they were wrong, sup said they were wrong, no police report filed no exchange of insurance and next day I was charged with accident. No telematics report ever presented to me at all.

All of this happened after I came back from a Heart attack. We all know when they have it in for you they have it in for you. Do it by the book, because they will do it by the book and when they come after you (because they will come after you) Your backside will be covered. They can cram idle time down my throat all they want, untill they come and show me how to do it better I can only do it the way I am trained.